Do you weigh yourself and/or use the sticks?

Options
dietbepsi
dietbepsi Posts: 136 Member
edited February 2016 in Social Groups
I have decided to NOT use either, it's to discouraging to me. It seems like the scale moves so slow for me, and fluctuates a lot. I'm going to go by a pair of jeans that I love that are, sadly, pretty tight, and go from there. Don't know if it's because I only have 20 pounds to lose, which I know doesn't tell me a lot but is very difficult for me. (I strictly did weight watchers for two months and didn't lose a pound! (I then switched to this which I KNOW works, and makes SO MUCH SENSE!!) I don't know what is wrong with me and yes I've had my thyroid checked! As far as the keto sticks, when I've done this in the past they never ever change the color! Even though I lost weight. Also there is no way in the world I'm not in ketosis, I've been doing the solid for three weeks not going over 20 carbs. Has anyone else had this issue with the sticks not changing color? Just curious what your experience has been and how you feel about the scale.

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You could have faulty sticks, or be a very efficient user of ketones. Now that I've been doing keto for a while, I only get a trace amount of ketones with the sticks. (I can still smell them though). If you're under 20 grams of carbs and not eating huge amounts of protein, you're in ketosis. If you want to be absolutely sure, there are glucometers that can test for ketones in the blood as well as for blood glucose.

As for the weight loss, you didn't say whether you track your calories. If I weren't losing weight after 2 months, I would definitely track calories and maintain a deficit.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I used to check the sticks frequently but I don't think they are terribly reliable. It was my understanding that once your body adapted you wouldn't be wasting so many ketones in urine so you'd get only a trace at best. Of course I don't drink much water so mine usually read very high even months into ketosis. I'd say conversely if you were well adapted and well hydrated you wouldn't show ketones at all.

I think going by the jeans is a great idea because the scale can be frustrating for some and honestly I'd rather look better in my clothes than see a specific number on the scale!
  • dietbepsi
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    You could have faulty sticks, or be a very efficient user of ketones.

As for the weight loss, you didn't say whether you track your calories. If I weren't losing weight after 2 months, I would definitely track calories and maintain a deficit.

I've tried more than one package of sticks :/ I really think it's me. Also, yes I track my calories/carbs fat in MFP. I don't go over 1300 a day
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The sticks only work for a couple weeks. Then you would need to do blood test, or use keytonix breathlizer. It works fairly well. Expensive though.
  • lithezebra
    edited February 2016
    Options
    dietbepsi wrote: »
    lithezebra wrote: »
    You could have faulty sticks, or be a very efficient user of ketones.

I've tried more than one package of sticks :/ I really think it's me. Also, yes I track my calories/carbs fat in MFP. I don't go over 1300 a day

How long have you been on 1300 a day? When I lose weight, it's very slow overall, and there are a lot of plateaus, for weeks at a time. It's harder to see progress when you don't have much weight to lose. I would stick with it, unless it's been months, in which case I would consult a dietician.
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I think fitting into a pair of jeans you like that are currently tight is a perfectly valid way of measuring your progress. :)
  • lithezebra
    Options
    One more thing. I don't know if you're exercising, and I know that people SAY you don't need to exercise to lose weight, but that's a generalization. Increasing activity helps some people (like me) a lot. I think when you're a smaller person with a relatively small amount to lose, the process can be very slow, and it only gets slower as you get smaller. Weightlifting helps A LOT. Cardio helps A LOT. Even taking a few short walks, standing, and moving around more while you're working helps.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    One. More. Thing. Scales often fluctuate because the amount of water you're retaining can vary enough to add or subtract 5, or even more, pounds. That can affect how your pants fit too, but the pants are still a better indication of your progress than your weight at any single point in time.
  • dietbepsi
    Options
    Another thing....I walking average of 6 miles a day at a fast pace for my job.
  • dietbepsi
    Options
    Hmm.... My whole post before that disappeared
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I've never used the sticks. Ive read that they're not exactly reliable, so I've never worried about it. My blood glucose is the measure of success that I use right now as a supplement to the scale. I weigh daily just so I know how my body fluctuates, but I don't beat myself up over a pound or two up or down as its all evened out in the end so far. But it does get frustrating not to see much downward movement over the course of a week. But I know I'm doing the right things so I just try to stay focused.
  • vazquezmom7
    vazquezmom7 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    BalmyD wrote: »
    I think fitting into a pair of jeans you like that are currently tight is a perfectly valid way of measuring your progress. :)

I agree with all especially the above!
  • dietbepsi
    Options
    What I said before, which disappeared is that I exercise three times a week doing HIIT training, both cardio and weight lifting. I've been at 1300 cal for about 3+ weeks, and I drink over 100 ounces of water a day.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    You're in ketosis. Both your diet and the exercise are VERY ketogenic, but with all that water intake, your urine is probably very dilute, and that could be affecting the ketostix.

There's really no need to measure ketones. Your brain needs them to function when you restrict carbs. There is no alternative. So if you're not dead, you're ketogenic. :)
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food rather than just measuring (or eyeballing)?
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    And yes, I do think going by clothing fit can be even better than the scale. I have done measurements and weighed throughout but my goal was more about fitting into my clothes from a year and a half ago before I gained 20 lbs.
    It sounds like you're doing everything right (unless there are logging errors, which I know I had in the past before I started weighing foods, and double-checking MFP entries). Hopefully you'll see some progress soon!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    The amount of water/fluids in general you consume has an effect on the concentration of acetoacetate in your urine. It doesn't affect how many ketones you're making or using but it affects the test. There's no reason to change anything about your water consumption. It's something that I think commonly makes the tests show lower or no ketones. I don't drink a lot water. Idk why. I'm just not a thirsty person and have a hard time drinking it just because it's good for me. My tests are always at least moderate. The dilution of the urine has to be the explanation. Lots of people on here that eat the same levels of carbs as I do get lower tests and it seems like the only difference is how much water we drink. It's just a theory I think makes sense based on these discussions over the last 9 months. So, don't worry about it.
    In my personal experiments with testing for several times a day and at least a whole week, my tests were always lower in the morning, I previously thought they would be higher then. But mine seemed to be higher mid day. Maybe test then. But again, it doesn't mean much if yours doesn't show anything.
  • dietbepsi
    Options
    Thanks everyone for their thoughts and suggestions :)
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I weigh every Fri morning.

I bought sticks way back in '09, used for novelty mostly, I don't bother these days. They definitely expire and weaken over time. They also must be handled properly, always in a sealed container, out of the air/light, as this will weaken them as well...IIRC

Even if the sticks say you're in ketosis, the rest of your diet does matter. If you go over your calories, you will gain. You don't have much to lose, it's a game of patience at this point. I have a little less than 15 to go and I'm aware not to be in a big hurry.

Good luck!
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    @dietbepsi I understand your frustration. I have 10 pounds to go and have been 4 weeks at exactly the same weight. I am adding exercise, varying calories under one day n over target same amount the next, doing IF etc. Feel angelic but my body is yet to let go. I think it does take time as internal proceses work on re sculpting us. Good luck.