Carb counting

Options
angie_kins
angie_kins Posts: 44 Member
I'm new to LCHF lifestyle and am still trying to figure everything out. I have a question about carb counting...I just ate an Atkins bar that boasts 3.4 net carbs. When I found said atkins bar in MFP it listed 30 carbs. When carb counting in this WOE, should I be looking at net carbs or just 'carbs'?

Replies

• BRobertson23
    BRobertson23 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    There was an earlier post about this. Seems like most of the regular posters on here go by total carbs. I personally go by net carbs, as I feel it works for me, but I suspect I may go to total carbs once I find at what point I stop being in ketosis.

Also, MFP won't log your net carbs unless you change the setting for it.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    Some of the atkins bars are already set up in MFP with net carbs..just look at the description and choose that one :)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    It depends.
    Sugar alcohols, in which Atkins bars are heavy, don't always just run through you like they say. For example, sucrose is a 100 on the GI index. Maltitol is between 48 and 35 depending on its form. So that means it does indeed have some affect on blood glucose.
    So generally, with something that's carbs are heavy in sugar alcohols, I'd plan on counting half of the sugar alcohol count.
    Most people can get away with subtracting fiber carbs without trouble. However, like with anything else, YMMV. There are some people so carb sensitive their bodies still react to the fiber.

Read through this really quick. It touches all the bases.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10057456/so-which-is-it-total-carbs-or-net-carbs
  • angie_kins
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    It depends.
    Sugar alcohols, in which Atkins bars are heavy, don't always just run through you like they say. For example, sucrose is a 100 on the GI index. Maltitol is between 48 and 35 depending on its form. So that means it does indeed have some affect on blood glucose.
    So generally, with something that's carbs are heavy in sugar alcohols, I'd plan on counting half of the sugar alcohol count.
    Most people can get away with subtracting fiber carbs without trouble. However, like with anything else, YMMV. There are some people so carb sensitive their bodies still react to the fiber.

Read through this really quick. It touches all the bases.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10057456/so-which-is-it-total-carbs-or-net-carbs

@baconslave thanks so much for the link, it was a very helpful read! Now, can you tell me what YMMV means? :blush:
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    Your Mileage May Vary

>:) or o:)
  • angie_kins
    Options
    Thanks @KenSmith108 !!