Chris' Bag End to Rivendell Adventure

cpanus
cpanus Posts: 19,747 Member
I will be leaving Bag End at full dark with Frodo and Company and heading toward Rivendell. Packing up now.

Chris

Replies

• Lothlorien_Woods
    Lothlorien_Woods Posts: 58 Member
    Godspeed! Have a safe journey! Today I am 1 day oit of Bree with Strider and we are about to camp in Chetwood for the night before we start day 2 out Bree. Pippen keeps asking about Second Breakfast. Strider is not amused!
  • cpanus
    Thanks, Lothlorien.

We left Bag End at full dark. We went west around the end, jumped the hedge and went through the gate into the lane. After a mile we left the lane and followed the hedgerows south. After another mile we crossed The Water using the plank bridge...not fun...scary... After two more miles we crossed the Great road from the Brandywine Bridge and entered Tookland. We are now heading up the slopes of the Green hill Country.

Distance: 6.20 miles
  • Lothlorien_Woods
    Good job!!! I remember when I walked the plank bridge and entered Tookland! As Sam says, if he takes 1 more step, it will be the farthest he's ever been from home!
  • cpanus
    Sam is quite funny sometimes!! We looked back at lights of Hobbiton from the first slopes of the Green Hill Country but lost sight of it as the hills rose and fell. We stopped at a birch grove for a small bite to eat then went on to Stock Road. We sang and walked between tall trees then climbed a steep slope. When we grew tired, we camped just over the top of the hill by a large tree. There were foxes watching us. I'd never seen a fox up close before. Beautiful animals. We ate after the sun came up, packed up and started out around 10:00 a.m. For the last four miles we have been traveling a road that rolls up and down...up and down...up and...

Distance: 25.81 miles
  • cpanus
    After a few more miles of the road rolling up and down, it zig-zagged to the top of a steep bank and we could see across Woody End to the River. After some rest and food and some more rest, we headed down the last hill. The sun is beginning to set. At the bottom, the road runs mostly straight and level. Behind us it curves slightly. Black Rider appears...we scatter...Sam and Pippin find a hollow in which to hide. Frodo hides behind a tree next to the road. EGAD!! Everyone remains silent.

Distance: 31.11 miles
  • cpanus
    We kept off the road so we wouldn't be seen. It was slow going for sure. The road split...left went to the lowlands...we stayed right, winding through a wood of ancient oaks. We crept inside a huge tree, ate and rested. We started to travel again at twilight, singing along the way. We heard the Black Rider again but luckily, the Elves arrives and Black Rider left. We join the Elves and walked through thick woods as the road went lower. The hills had hazel growing on the slopes. Pippin grew sleepy. We camped on a hillcrest and could see the lights of Woodhall below.

We slept late and when we started out, Frodo decided to cut southeast to Buckberry Ferry when it started to cloud up. A deep stream cut across our path. The thought of turning back vanished when we looked back at our camp site and saw Black Rider on the hillcrest. We forced our way through the bushes alongside the stream. Pippin realized it was the Stock-brook and we managed to find a spot to cross. The land on the south bank was wet and reedy. We reach a belt of oak and elm and ash trees just a rain begins to fall.

Distance: 50.94 miles
  • Lothlorien_Woods
    You are moving right along! Great job!
  • cpanus
    Pippin realized we'd gone too far south. After a couple of miles more we stopped for lunch and were singing when the cry of the Black Rider split the air and scared us to death...we packed it up and left in a flash! We came out of the woods to a beautiful sunny day. Another mile or so brought us to the Marish with fields, meadows, hedges gates and drainage dikes. The edges of the fields were worked by Farmer Maggot. We passed a turnip field and found a stout gate that opened to a rutted lane with hedges on both sides. The lane lead to Farmer Maggot's house where we stopped for a bite to eat. We didn't leave until full dark. The rutted lane took us to the Causeway to Buckleberry Ferry. We ride in a wagon across the boggy land. It is foggy. We are almost to the Ferry landing.

Distance: 68.69 miles
  • rkit03
    rkit03 Posts: 280 Member
    I love reading your adventures! :smile:
  • cpanus
    Thank you!

Merry met us at the Ferry landing. As we reached our destination we could see Black Rider on the west shore. Just hope he stays there! We took the road north. Buck Hill was on our left and Buckleberry on our right. We took the lane to the right and climbed up and down in the country. After another couple of miles we spent the night in Crickhollow but didn't hang around once morning arrived. We started out slowly at 6:00 a.m. in a dense fog. Three miles later we entered a tunnel under Hedge and reached The Old Forest only to have our path disappear. Once we passed through Bonfire Glade we found the path. It was sunny but not really clear. Our path climbed and we reached the top of a knoll where we ate and rested in the haze. We were surrounded by trees, so we were safe. It's now 1:00 in the afternoon and we are on a path that veers southeast. But we want to go north, so we are leaving the path. No one is really happy about this decision.

Distance 88.74 miles
  • cpanus
    We crossed a series of deep folds running southeast. We kept turning east then lost our way. The folds were too deep to leave so we followed them to Withywindle. Merry finally found a path along the bank of the River allowing us to go east through the wetlands. After a couple more miles we stopped at Old Man Willow's to rest and were rescued by Tom Bombadil. He lead us to his house which was three miles away. It rained the next day so we stayed with Tom. The following day we headed out and climbed zig-zag to the top of a hill on the west side of Barrow-downs. On our ponies we went up a steep slopes and down long limbs. There were no trees or water in sight. We made the mistake of going too far east and ended up entering Barrow-downs...a place of great dread and inhabited by evil Barrow-wights from Angmar. We got through Barrow-downs without any trouble and are stopping in a hollow atop a hill for some much needed food and much needed rest.

Distance: 108.09 miles
  • cpanus
    When we woke, the fog was thick and the sun was sinking. In trying to head north, we lost our way and got separated and were captured by the Wrights. Thankfully, Frodo sang, alerting Tom to our whereabouts and he was able to rescue us. It was a frightening experience to say the least. Don't ever want to do that again. Tom recalled the ponies and lead us north through a gap. We reach a dike and hedge that was the former boundary of Cardolan, part of the North Kingdom of Arnor.

Distance: 130.10 miles
  • Lothlorien_Woods
    I love this part of the story and you tell it way better then me! Thanks for sharing your journey! We are all wet and a luttle dreary because are going through the Midgewater Marshes, but it is quiet and quiet makes things peaceful!
  • cpanus
    Thank you!

We returned to the Great East Road and Tom departed. Strider saw us but stayed out of sight. We reached Bree and stayed at the Prancing Pony where Strider joined our party. But, somehow, in the dark of night...all of our ponies got stolen! I was heart broken...I loved my pony. We left Bree the next morning...on foot...and walked down the East Road. After another five miles we left the road and headed north into Chetwood. There wasn't a living thing to be seen anywhere all day long. Seven miles into Chetwood we camped. We are east of Archet. Upon waking, we pack our gear and head east. The ground drops slowly. We will camp in another 13 or so miles, but right now, we are enjoying the peace and quiet. I miss my pony.

Distance: 150.01 miles
  • cpanus
    We camped in eastern Chetwood. Walking thirteen miles in one afternoon was a bit much for us. We all slept soundly. This morning we came out of Chetwood and headed for the western edge for Midgewater Marshes. The ground became really damp...squishy...

Distance; 169.44
  • cpanus
    After another ten miles we camped in the western part of the Marshes last night. Wet and gooey if you want my opinion... This morning we packed up and are heading to the eastern part of the Marshes.

Distance: 181.18 miles
  • Lothlorien_Woods
    Wow you are walking a lot! You are almost caught up with me. I have been lazy lately. I have been playing too many games on my pho e trying to get points to get gift cards. One of the games was LOTR trivia! I did so well I maxed out the questions and got to the highest level lol!
  • cpanus
    edited February 2016
    Great going on the LOTR trivia!! I hope it was a really good gift card!

Thanks...I biked and walked almost every day until now. Trouble w/my hip is going to cut that to walking every day but biking every other day until I figure out what the problem is. Hoping it's over doing everything. Just have to wait and see.

Chris
  • cpanus
    We made it to the eastern part of the Marshes where we saw flashes of light in the east sky at night...it was Gandalf on Weathertop!! This morning we left our camp site and made it to the eastern edge of the Marshes. The path starts to rise and we can see Weather Hills ahead. It's very dry and barren every where we look. There are a few birds...not many, but at least a few.

Distance: 196.51 miles
  • cpanus
    We camped by a stream along stunted alder trees under a waxing moon last night. This morning there was frost everywhere. It is very clear. We can see the crumbled ruins on the Hills ahead. We are headed for Weather Hills now. In another 10 miles or so, we'll camp for tonight.

Distance: 218.85 miles