Chinese/Japanese menu suggestions

Options
dietbepsi
dietbepsi Posts: 136 Member
Hello. We are having dinner at a place like this tonight with the big group of friends. And I really want to stay on program. I'm really going to try to look at the menu before hand if it's online and figure out what I'm going to get. But does anyone have any suggestions for a place like this? Thank you so much!

Replies

• JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    ask for steamed chicken with vegetables, sauce on the side...even if you don't see it on menu, ask. They typically can make it
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    If it's Japanese I'd be eying some sashimi (raw fish, no rice).
    My place does fried salmon skin salads (might need to inquire about the dressing as I foresee sugar here).
    or if they have hibachi/teppanyaki (no noodles or rice!) options that might work.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    When I eat at a Japanese restaurant, I'll usually have sashimi, miso soup, edamame, seaweed salad and yakatori / kushiyaki with no sauce. If you go that route you'll probably want to get some fat in you when you get home as its pretty high protein low carb.
  • wishfullthinking79
    wishfullthinking79 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I just went to a Japanese restaurant last week. I had miso soup, a few bites of the salad, sashimi (tuna and salmon) and sushi that was spicy tuna and avocado. It was very good and very filling. I did cheat a little because I ate a little green tea ice cream but nt enough to take me out of ketosis. Enjoy!!
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    had sushi & sashimi last week...he did make me a spicy tuna roll w/o rice, kinda like a handroll. Was actually enjoyable.
  • workathomemama
    workathomemama Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Japanese: sashimi, miso soup, ask if they can make yaki-tori (it's just grilled chicken ) without any sauces brushed on; you could convince your friends to have a pot of shabu-shabu (it's a pot of soup and you dip your food into it to cook. you can order extra meat/veggies); ikayaki (grilled squid)

Chinese: steam or sauteed baby bok choy ; steam chicken, roast duck; whole steam fish (usually bass or pickerel). It's hard with Chinese food since nearly everything has sugar in it or cornstarch.

Good luck!
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    I have asked for prawn n avocado hand roll, no rice in a sushi train restaurant. Probably thought I was nuts. They do soak the sushi rice in mirin which is a sweet japanese vinegar. Helps the rice stick together. Tastes awesome but not suited if you want low carb.

Chinese, as above steamed chicken with bok choy or other leafy greens, sauce on side or grilled beef n same veggies. Some do satays which can vary from yum to sugar loads (mostly later but worth checking).

Enjoy :)
  • dietbepsi
    dietbepsi Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Ugh I just feel like it's the worst possible choice of restaurant :( thank you so much for all of your suggestions! I'm kind of dreading this.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Both of my local Japanese places will roll your sushi in cucumber slices instead of rice! Additionally one offers a seared ahi tuna salad with avocado and another seafood salad that is a mix of sashimi mixed with avocado and spicy mayo. Once I discovered these items going out for Japanese became fun again! :)