Eating too much protein?

kepotak
kepotak Posts: 10 Member
First, hello! I'm Karen and I'm 12 days into Atkins. I found this forum and and still learning a lot about LCHF.
I'm tracking in MFP, measuring with cups, spoons and eyeballing/guesstimating...I think I'm pretty close to accurate counts but not exact. I've been reading the sticky posts about getting started and general info in this group and it warns against too much protein. I think I need help creating meal plans with less protein. I'm not a big meat eater. I don't eat beef. And I'm not super in love with dark meat chicken...Any recommendations?
I've lost 7 lbs in 12 days.
This is my average weekly macros:
0t2ch2tx9fb7.png
aua4zjypwjge.png
g8j27sq7rlc9.png

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Your protein is not high enough to cause major problems, but you might find yourself with some GI or craving trouble if your protein intake goes way further over your fat. However, a few grams here or there isn't a big deal and probably within the margin of error if you're not closely measuring everything.

Also, there are a couple of things to remember when dealing with the warnings regarding protein intake:

1. Those warnings are geared toward the people who are attempting to do low carb and low fat, which is where people run into the most trouble. The body doesn't run well on protein alone and needs adequate carbs and/or fats for fuel. When people combine low carb and low fat, they artificially reduce the amount of intake of both and increase the amount of protein to the point that it pushes what the body can tolerate.
    2. As long as you're eating a fair amount of fat, your protein tolerance goes up, as well. So, even if you couldn't tolerate 100g of protein and nothing else (the sheer lack of calories notwithstanding), including even 50g of fat allows you to tolerate that 100g of protein easily.
    3. It's not about the raw numbers (and even if it were, 100g actually isn't that much, especially when you're not filling your calories with useless, low-quality carbohydrates), but the ratios. The body can actually tolerate something north of 300g of protein, provided there's a fair bit of fat and/or carbohydrates to go along with it. It comes down to not forcing the body to rely on protein as its primary fuel source.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    That's to much protein for me I do everything I can to keep my protein at or below 20%. But I do not work out so if you lift you would need more I guess? If I go above 20% on protein I stall. Learned this the hard way.