Hi, just joined this group today!

Options
DancingMoosie
DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
I posted to my wall, but didn't get any responses. Just joined this group and thought I'd give it a go here...FYI, I usually lift M/W evenings and run T/TH/Sun, but this is not set in stone. I also do workout videos in the morning.

Thinking of changing up my lifting...adding/learning front squats, maybe more abs(but f.s. may take care of that) and maybe chins instead of row? I normally do 5x5 bench, squat, ohp, row(with pyramid down sets after the first 3 exercises), 2x5 deads. Then, good mornings, glute bridge and sometimes calves or lunges/plies with biceps and triceps, but not regularly. Ideas/suggestions?

Let me know if this is not clear and I will try to be more specific. Thanks!

Replies

• katnoir1
    katnoir1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    So just to be clear, you're doing the same routine twice a week?

The exercises look pretty good to me. Not a whole lot of tricep work there - you could add in dips, skullcrushers, or tricep pulldowns. Depending on how you feel after bench press you could also add in a bit more chest work, like flys or incline bench.

If you're thinking of adding in chin ups or pull ups I'd consider hanging on to the row as well, or doing a row variation (like single arm row, bent-over row) so that you've got some upper back and mid-back exercise.

If you want some dedicated abs exercises, you can add in planks (and variations), Russian twists, bicycle crunches, v-ups. If you want more compound exercises that work abs as well as other groups, you could try windmills, kettlebell swings, or burpees.

Good luck!
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    Yes, pretty much the basic 5 lifts twice a week, but now subbing pull-ups for rows. Thanks. I forgot to mention that my some of my dvds would have some circuit training involving back and triceps, as well as abs (like 30 day shred and some of The Firm). I am just not liking the barbell row at this point and really wanted to get back into my pull-ups. So, yeah, I guess between my dvds and lifting, I'm hitting most of the basic moves you mention:)
  • LovelyRosie
    LovelyRosie Posts: 40 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I am new to the group and happy to be here! I'm beginning to strength train and wanted to know how long can I expect (how long did it take you?) before I start to see changes to my overall physic. I currently train roughly 3 days a week. Thanks in advance!
  • DancingMoosie
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I think it depends on how much fat you have to lose. I did stuff like 30 Day Shred and other "circuit" workouts (including machines) while losing, then started weight training with free weights. My body hasn't changed much because I was already pretty shredded when I picked up the free weights. I do think my pecs, biceps, quads, and booty are slightly bigger since gaining about 5lbs from my lowest weight. My booty is more lifted, as it kind of fell flat with all of the weight loss.

Don't think you are going to be gaining any great amount of muscle mass. Women just don't get bulky by accident. Stay in a modest calorie deficit and slowly burn that fat away.
  • LovelyRosie
    LovelyRosie Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Very helpful! Thanks so much!!!!