How do you log bacon?

Options
daylitemag
daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
Since going LCHF I'm eating more bacon than before (which is greatest), but I'm having a hard time logging it. The package says the cal count uncooked. Well, I don't eat raw bacon so wondering how to log. Feel free to look at my diary and let me know if it makes sense. When I eat bacon I cook it to almost well done. I then drain most of the fat before cooking my eggs in about 1 tbsp. I log the fat and bacon but it's a total shot in the dark using the database. I'm worried that I'm not logging enough calories. Thanks for any advice.

Replies

• WhatLouAte
    WhatLouAte Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I log all my meat in the raw state, regardless if how much fat comes out of it. I don't log the bacon fat separately.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    Hmmm Bacon
    We cook a lb. at a time. Pour off & store the fat Bag the cooked bacon.
    For breakfast my Sweetie weighs out a 1/2 oz. & crumbles it for my eggs.
    When we're at the diner I count bacon strips & add fat in my log.
    Bacon is not an exact science, we settle for close.

>:) or o:)
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I also log all of my meats based on their raw measurements as I'd rather overestimate than underestimate.
  • crunchketo
    crunchketo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I log based on raw state and save the fat to use in cooking. Then when I throw in a tbsp while cooking I don't log it.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    There are some precooked bacon products. Maybe you can use that as a reference point.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I use an entry from the database that is about 40 per slice.

Doesn't matter exactly how accurate the entry you choose is, but once you pick a way then cook it the same way and log it the same way. Consistency over time is what will bring you results.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Coming up with the range of 40 to 80 calories per slice, this website allows one to search thick cut, cooked and uncooked. If you believe you are under-counting, go for the higher range.

In addition, from time to time i have called the 800 number listed on a package or found on the product website, this is something that might work for you. You may get an answer from one phone call, worth a try.
    You have me thinking because i too really enjoy ordering bacon on top of burgers or as a side at Bonefish grill, really as a side wherever i happen to be.

http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/generic/bacon-cooked?portionid=3747
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Thanks @LINIA . Its def confusing. I'm currently logging just over 40 Cals per slice and then another 115 for the grease. I will do a bit more research.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Ya, that seems pretty high, unless you're drinking all that's in the pan.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Some brands are marked different, the one I have goes by cooked weight, anywhere from 45-60 per slice depending on the brand.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Been at this for a year, and never noticed the differences! I always went with the package when I logged everyday. Just remember, it is impossible to be exact with the macros. Try not to stress over it too much and enjoy the bacon :wink: