Can I build my abs up at maintenance?

Options
Sumiblue
Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
I've gotten down to 115 from 137 through eating at deficit and lifting heavy 4x/wk & HIIT once a week. I'm pretty thrilled with my results. My stomach is flat, can see obliques and even serratus anterior muscles. But my abs are...flat. I have a small amount of loose skin around the naval. I'm almost 47, had my daughter at 42. Skin hasn't bounced back from that and weight loss. I'm trying to eat more for strength. Is it possible to build up my abs while at maintenance calories or do I need to eat a surplus? I'm hoping that muscle can fill in my skin. Profile photo shows where I'm at. Bodpod says 23% BF. I'm 5'2". I do planks & Russian twists with 25lb plate for abs.

Replies

• Sumiblue
    Options
    ^^^navel not naval, lol
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    1) Yes it's possible.
    2) You look WAY leaner than 23% for what it's worth.
    3) The reality MAY be that you just need to keep getting leaner IF the goal is more visible abs, which you may not want to do.

There's also a genetic component. For example, my abs show at rather abnormally high bodyfat. I have 4 visible abs at about 16% bodyfat which is quite high for being able to see abs.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,089 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    I have 4 visible abs at about 16% bodyfat...

It's official: I hate you! lol
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    Thanks for your reply, @SideSteel. I know you have a keen eye for body fat percentage. I wondered about that Bodpod reading. I know BIA scales are not to be trusted but I have been tracking what mine tells me. When Bodpod said 23% BIA said 21%. Now it tells me 19.8%. I am pretty curious about what my BF might actually be. I can't get a Dexa scan locally unless I get a bone density test ordered. There is hydrostatic testing nearby. My lower body still has some fluff (thanks, genetics). But, yeah, I'm lean on top. Just noticed last night I can see a vein over my left hip bone.
    I guess I will keep on doing what I'm doing since I do want to lose fat from Glutes & hips. I've just incorporated using DBs as an ab roller & tried hanging leg lifts. Hopefully my abs will grow a bit with extra calories. I'm thinking of a bulk & cut cycle at some point if losing more fat doesn't do what I want. I don't want to get too scrawny!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I've heard many comment that their skin rebounded better when they went into surplus too, guys and gals. So perhaps extra cals available to repair the skin with also.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    Could be I've just not given my skin time to recover. I just noticed the loose skin. Just like I just noticed my serratus anterior muscles now being visible. I think I just lost some BF and the wrinkly skin alarmed me. I like my workouts (PHUL & HIIT) & like my eating plan. I'll keep on keeping on & hopefully lose more fat in my glutes & thighs. Hopefully my skin will recover. Thanks for the input. Always good advice here.
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have to pipe in Lori...you look great and I know how hard you've worked to get to where you are!! way to go!!
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    Thanks, @Jennifer_Lynn_1982 . I decided to try a Leangains type of calorie cycling since I already do a 16:8 fast. More calories and carbs on lifting days and less on rest days. It appears that I'm continuing to lean out. Slow and steady wins the race!
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    awesome @Sumiblue !
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    Just to update, I am def going to maintenance calories. I really wanted to lose more fat as it hadn't budged from my lower body. I did lose more and now my abs are pretty visible but I also lost my bust:-( I've increased my calories and am doing calorie cycling, maintaining 4 lifting days plus cardio. Hope recomp happens!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    You look amazing. Good luck with recomp!
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    I got a hydrostatic body composition assessment today. 21.3%. I'm happy with it. My home scale gives me readings about 1-2% off. So, when I first got the scale and started recording my weight & measurements it said 27%. In reality it was probably closer to 30%. I've come down quite a bit in the last 15 months.
    As far as my abs are concerned, I have a solid
    4-pack. Kind of asymmetrical, lol. I've been on maintenance calories for a couple of weeks now and I love the extra oomph it's given my lifts. Maybe I'll have that 6-pack, yet.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Great work.
    There's an amazing amount of negativity towards recomp on the general boards on this site. Nice to hear you are enjoying it.