So this fathead pizza...

Options
dietbepsi
dietbepsi Posts: 136 Member
I keep hearing about it. Had to Google it yesterday to see what it was. Is it amazing? I would be curious to hear your thoughts. I need to get some almond flour. (is this the same thing as Almond meal?)

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Almond flour and almond meal are just ground to different texture, but yes, same thing. Fathead pizza was pretty good, but even with just almonds and cheese, I had an insulin reaction to it, so I prefer to just put my pizza toppings without a crust.... But it was decently a sub for traditional stuff.
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Amazing? Well, I don't know if I would say that. But it's good. I preferred it to the cauliflower crust pizza.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    It was worth making, imo. Is filling, so don't expect to be able to eat much more than a piece, or two. The family liked it, but I've only made it once. I prefer to use a cheese only type crust now.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    And the cauliflower crust I made was horrid. I could not eat it warm or hot at all. Cold, it was tolerable at best. I will not be repeating that adventure.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I love the fathead pizza. My husband loves it and he eats carbs! I definitely recommend making it.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    I love the fathead pizza. My husband loves it and he eats carbs! I definitely recommend making it.

Yeah, @anglyn1 my guy said he would eat it if I made it, though he does prefer "traditional" crust if he has a choice. Normally, I just don't give him the option. LOL If he wants something else, he's welcome to make it, but as that's not a big thing he does (rarely cooks, though he'll help with prep if asked), I don't have to worry about it much.
  • WhatLouAte
    WhatLouAte Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I think I´m going to try this fathead pizza business on Saturday.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I made Fat Head pizza for Valentine's Day dinner and it was really good! I worked it into a 9x9 pan and it was thin, which I generally don't like, yet it was super tasty. I topped it with Rao's pizza sauce (1 net carb per serving) and some soft mozzarella with spinach. It was delicious.

This was my first time making it and I am definitely going to make it again.
  • CMYKRGB
    CMYKRGB Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    It's actually pretty good. I've made it twice, and both hubby and daughter liked it, too.
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Almond flour and almond meal are just ground to different texture, but yes, same thing. Fathead pizza was pretty good, but even with just almonds and cheese, I had an insulin reaction to it, so I prefer to just put my pizza toppings without a crust.... But it was decently a sub for traditional stuff.

Curiosity here...what do you mean by you had an insulin reaction? I'm curious. For me I have been trying different artificial sweeteners and finding the more I have, the more I want to have. Is this what you mean? Cravings? Thanks!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    kimmydear wrote: »
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

Curiosity here...what do you mean by you had an insulin reaction? I'm curious. For me I have been trying different artificial sweeteners and finding the more I have, the more I want to have. Is this what you mean? Cravings? Thanks!

@kimmydear Yes and no. I do have all kinds of stupid cravings with any thing other than Sweet Leaf stevia. I can get away with asparatame (in sugar free jello) if I mix it with heavy cream and sour cream in my jello fat bombs. But splenda and other stuff, they are just evil to me. I either get crazy stupid carb cravings - or I do what I call "narcing out" (which is what happens to me with the pizza). I almost forgot, most of the liquids that have "natural flavors" give me near instant migraines.... It is horrible. So I skip all things Walden Farms and 99% of things with sugar alcohols except in super small quantity on rare occasion. Even a finger swipe of that WF chocolate syrup gave me a migraine headache for hours.

You know how when you'd eat high carbs how you would get sleepy after lunch, after eating higher carbs? Well, I have a reaction called postprandial somnolence - which is essentially falling asleep/passing out after eating. It does not seem to have any direct effect on my blood glucose (have taken readings before, during, and after), but it just seems like my body gets overwhelmed and shuts down to process. This can be as short as a head nod/jerk back up situation - or it can turn into a full fledged food-coma-style nap. And typically, I have no notice that this is happening until I'm waking up. Luckily it has never happened when I'm standing up, in motion, or driving.

Since going low carb, I have this almost never. I know it's an insulin based reaction based on reading, studying, and talking with my doctor. Also, it doesn't happen when I am eating low carb. However, it did happen when I ate this pizza crust - which would be fine if I was home at night - but not when I'm headed back to work after lunch.

I do not have that reaction to almonds, to mozz cheese, to eggs, to any of these things individually. I've also regularly eaten the toppings on what I call a "plate pizza," i.e., a plate of pizza toppings without crust... So the only thing I can thing is that it's either this crust recipe itself, or much like the reaction our bodies have when tasting something sweet - to release insulin, whether it's a sugar-sweet or not -- I imagine that this could possible have caused me to react like that because my body really thought it was bread and released insulin to help process it.

I am insulin resistant, so any of these things could be possible. I also am the only person I remember specifically in this group who has had this reaction, so it is by no means "common."
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss Thank you for your explanation. I'm still learning and this is really helpful. Yes, I do remember sleepiness after eating, especially lunch and dinner. I don't have it as much but do still occassionally. But it's hard to tell what's sleep deprivation and what's related to nutrition. I don't sleep well at night anyway because of a 5 year old who needs to stop waking me up all the time! :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    kimmydear wrote: »
    @KnitOrMiss Thank you for your explanation. I'm still learning and this is really helpful. Yes, I do remember sleepiness after eating, especially lunch and dinner. I don't have it as much but do still occassionally. But it's hard to tell what's sleep deprivation and what's related to nutrition. I don't sleep well at night anyway because of a 5 year old who needs to stop waking me up all the time! :)

I actually did a blog on it when it was at it's worst... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/KnitOrMiss/view/insulin-resistant-folks-postprandial-somnolence-falling-asleep-after-eating-question-755546

I don't remember how intelligent it was. I think I also covered in there some of my sweetener adventures.

Good luck with the 5 year old! Sounds like maybe s/he needs to go keto and have some magnesium for good quality sleep. ;) Totally kidding, but yeah. I was totally blessed in that department as my daughter was sleeping 6-8 hours at a time by the time I went back to work when she was about 10-12 weeks old...
  • WIChelle
    WIChelle Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    My family prefers the fathead crust over regular flour pizza crust now.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Meatza crust is best crust:
    http://justinowings.com/meatza-meatza/
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I just make my pizza completely crust less.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I made Fathead pizza crust for the first time this weekend. I really enjoyed it. But as Karlottap noted, it is VERY filling. I made a white pizza - nonfat ricotta, spinach, and mushrooms. I ate 1/3 of the recipe - about 400 calories worth. I was overstuffed to the point of being uncomfortable!!
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I've been in the habit of just spreading cheese on parchment paper and adding my toppings to that (no sauce, tomato sauce makes my body unhappy). I roll it up to eat it.

I do LOVE the fathead pizza crust, but I am wary of any food that I have to emphatically say I LOVE. Plus I'm super low carb so the fathead pizza crust feels like an enormous indulgence when I choose to have it.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    It is a bit of an induldence. My husband loves it, and he's from an Italian background. I'm curious about the Meatza thing, but I'm afraid that would put my protein into the stratosphere.
  • HollandOats
    HollandOats Posts: 202 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Made my first Fathead pizza last weekend following @glossbones adjustments I read in another thread - it was terrific (so thanks @glossbones !) I shared it with my family (Mom, Dad and 24 year old brother). It made about 9 pieces (I cut into squarish cuts, cause that's how we do in NEPA) Dad and bro got three, mom and I each had 1 1/2 - topped with tomato paste, mozzarella and pepperonis - it was sooooo good! Everyone agreed, and everyone was full and satisfied :D I am so happy I tried it!

ETA: Although I could swear it was @glossbones take on the receip I used, I can't figure out where I saw it... it may have been someone else, in the comments section of the fathead crust link... at any rate, it worked great and made a nice size tray.