Sinus drainage

Options
Has anyone else experienced sinus drainage issues since having surgery? Mine have been creeping up on me over time but lately, they're crazy. Granted, I live in the deep south of the U.S., and it's more or less open season on anyone who is sensitive to allergens, but I've never experienced problems like this before. I'm constantly sneezing, my nose is constantly dripping, and whenever I wake up in the morning, I spend a few minutes coughing up thick mucous. It doesn't show signs of infection, but it is constantly present. Flonase doesn't seem to help for long. I'm about to try out some Claritin but this was never an issue for me prior to my sleeve.

Has anyone else seen this problem? If so, what did you do to help solve it?

Replies

• kimgravitt3
    kimgravitt3 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have had a sinus infection since surgery, almost 4 months. I've been on 5 diff. Antibiotics, steroids, prescrip. Nose spray and I've tried every antihistamine on the market. I have never had these kind of problems. They finally put me on singular and that is helping some, but I'm still dripping. It's driving me crazy lol.
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I have had a sinus infection since surgery, almost 4 months. I've been on 5 diff. Antibiotics, steroids, prescrip. Nose spray and I've tried every antihistamine on the market. I have never had these kind of problems. They finally put me on singular and that is helping some, but I'm still dripping. It's driving me crazy lol.

Do you get a prescription for the Singulair? Or is that OTC?
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Singulair would be by prescription.

I'm a deeply southern gal too and have had problems with this since I was a child. Nothing I did would ever stop the symptoms you describe, for me. Once I dropped all carbs from my diet a year ago the constant runny nose....stopped! I can tell if I get any carbs now because a runny nose will show up within hours of exposure. I've made it through four "seasons" without any of the old symptoms I used to suffer with! I truly believe carbs have been the cause of many issues I no longer have to deal with. Good luck!
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    My surgeon told me that one of the signs of being full is my nose might start to drip. Yep. About 4 bites into a meal my nose turns on until my stomach empties. Don't understand that physiological mechanism, but I got warned.
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Interesting, y'all! I'll track to see if carbs may be triggering something.