Shoe brand recs?

Options
ryblueeyes
ryblueeyes Posts: 257 Member
What are some of you're favorite brands? I had Mizunos, which I loved, but they're pricey. My last pair were Nikes and they were junk. I'm training for a half, so I need something that will hold up.

I realize every foot is different, so I'm not asking for specific styles.

Replies

• 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Every brand has a style of shoe that should fit your needs. I'm partial to the newer boost line from Adidas but those run $140-170 a pair. A really good running shoe will be expensive, but if you use it for only running it should last you upwards of 500+ miles. I get 500-600 miles of the Adidas Sequence Boost, and have been running in them for the last 3000 miles. I'd go to a running specific store and get fitted. Most stores will have a treadmill you can test them out on to get the proper style of shoe, then try out 4-5 different manufactures and see which one rides the best for you.
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I like Brooks.

I was at a running specialty store in Georgetown and the guy there steered me towards them. I was skeptical but he gained some credibility (aside from that being his job) since the Brooks shoe he was pointing me at was cheaper than the shoe I wanted.

I've been wearing Brooks ever since.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    New balance for me!
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    I'm currently in Saucony Hurricane ISO and they are the best shoes I've been in so far -- I previously tried New Balance (hated them) and Brooks (so, so for my feet), but the Saucony are great.
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Also, different brands are good/better at different things. It comes down to your physiology. You should probably go to a store that specialize in running, if they don't put you on a treadmill and tell you to run for them, you're not in the right place.

I'm tall and heavy, even when I'm slim and trim, I'm heavy. I also have some really wide feet. These are attributes to which Brooks shoes are really good at.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I run in Saucony. Not even an expensive model. I tried some Nikes once and didn't care for them. I realized, why change if what I wear works and is cheap.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    As you can probably already tell from the responses you are not going to find "the" shoe that everyone likes. Once you get the proper type of shoe for your feet, you will no doubt try many brands to find the one you like best. Spend time at the running store and try as many as they have available. If they try to push one brand on you, find a new store.

For the record, I have the ISO 2's as well and Brooks Glycerin. Unlike a previous poster, I prefer the Brooks. My Nikes are my 2nd favorite (although Nike is pretty much all I wore last year).

Oh, and yes, they do cost a lot. IMO, it is spending on good shoes. It is cheaper and less painful than spending time and money at the doctor for messed up feet, knees, and back.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I've only ever run in Saucony. It's the only brand that has an arch that feels like it was designed for my foot specifically, and the only box that is wide enough out of the box for my giant, flat lady-feet. :) I love 'em.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I don't really stick to a brand - I buy the shoes that feel comfortable (most important) and happen to have a sorta-affordable price (e.g. on sale because a new model arrived - I draw the line at ~100EUR).
    With every brand there are shoes I tried on in the store and didn't like, and some that I did like.

I think my first pairs that that are now "retired" were Asics, Mizuno, Saucony.
    My current shoes are 2 different Saucony, 1x Brooks (those three pairs mostly for road running), 1x Nike (trail), 1x Icebug (snow), 1x Asics (indoor only, for the gym).

..OMG, reading that, I have way too many running shoes! >:)
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    I'm in love with my Hoka One Ones for distance running. I started running in them in 2014 and haven't looked back! I used to run in Asics (New Balance before that) but have had a number of knee/foot injuries in the past. I feel like the extra cushioning in the Hokas saves my knees on those long runs, and, despite looking like platforms, I manage to roll my ankles way less frequently while wearing those than I used to in any other shoes.
  • djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I am a fan of Brooks Ghost. Loved the GHOST 6 and now have Ghost 7's. I always wait until just before June and get lats years model at a greatly reduced cost when he new model comes out.
  • TomZot
    TomZot Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'll be the contrarian...I run in Vibram 5Fingers 90% of the time. The rest is divided between Merrill Trail Gloves and Merrill Vapor Gloves.

They work for me...may not for everyone.

I suggest finding characteristics that work for you (heel drop, width, stack height, weight, last shape, etc.) and stick with them. You may find a variety of brands will function well for you.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I've only ever run in Saucony. It's the only brand that has an arch that feels like it was designed for my foot specifically, and the only box that is wide enough out of the box for my giant, flat lady-feet. :) I love 'em.

I have high archs. I love my Saucony pair.
  • rrcoffey
    rrcoffey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've been running on Brooks Launch since last year. I first had Ravennas, which I loved, until I got the Launch...now, I find them too heavy.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I like the ones that seem geared for my feet, feel right, and I can run and run on with no issues. Generally I like Brooks, but that's just me. Everyone else has different feet than I do. I'm partial to Ghost and Glycerin.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    ryblueeyes wrote: »
    What are some of you're favorite brands? I had Mizunos, which I loved, but they're pricey. My last pair were Nikes and they were junk. I'm training for a half, so I need something that will hold up.

I realize every foot is different, so I'm not asking for specific styles.

Just got an email offering half price mizuno inspire&wave riders in the £50 range from sweatshop.co.uk
    I traded up from asics to brooks gylcerin for longer runs and brooks launch for racing up to 10k.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I ran in Mizunos last year and felt like they didn't last as long as they should have.
    I'm running in Ons currently, and they also seem to be breaking down fairly quickly... but they are still ok so I haven't retired them yet. We'll see.
    I started off in New Balance and liked them, but I'm not sure how much I was running back then, so I can't really compare them in terms of durability.

I've run in Eccos in previous years and had good luck with them. Same with Inov-8s. Those 2 brands seem to be the most durable of all the shoes I've spent meaningful time with.

Obviously there are lots of factors at play here, and durability is, at least for me, pretty subjective. So take it for what it's worth.
  • k_perlinger
    k_perlinger Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Every person is different, but I will second the comment above about Mizunos not lasting as long. While I actually do love the Mizuno Wave Riders, I don't feel I get the same mileage out of them that I have with the Brooks Ravenna in the past.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I've had the best luck with Brooks and Saucony, but the Brooks don't seem to hold up well for me. Saucony is pretty much always a safe bet for me. I like a shoe that's firmer with a lower drop (~4mm).
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I live by my Ons. Used to be into Brooks...totally different running experience...and I am hooked...will never go back to another brand. My only gripe is that the design is not friendly for rocks when trail running.