Managing a Dim Sum lunch on LC

Options
isa75
isa75 Posts: 156 Member
I need some strategery help. I just realized I have a lunch meeting today that I can't skip. It looks like it will be a at a dim sum restaurant. Since I can't skip and I don't want to just sit there and not eat or order anything. I was curious what others on the LC WOE generally do in these situations.

As it is Dim Sum/Chinese I am generally assuming anything that isn't a dumpling/noodle will have corn starch or sugar mixed in the sauce so just ordering meats or vegetables won't gain me anything.

I have some LC snacks I can eat before I go to keep my appetite in check so I don't just eat willy nilly.

In general what do you all do when you are in these sorts of situations?

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Try having the gai lan (a broccoli type veg) and have them put the oyster sauce on the side. From my knowledge, it is typically fried in oil or steamed. Not the most exciting thing, but it is on most Dim Sum menus.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Generally, you can order a meat without sauce and steamed veggies. ^^ That sounds great.

Also, if you can, call ahead and see what your options might be. Most places will work with you if they can.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Yikes, that is a tough one. Sometimes they do offer plates of greens, if so, I'd try and fill up on those. And you can always use a fork to cut the dumplings in half and just eat the insides, which will mainly be meat or fish with veg. And they may let you order off the menu too, even though they're serving dimsum so you could get some steamed chicken & veg with no sauce.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I. LOVE. DIM SUM. :)

Spicy squid. Lots of shrimp and pork dishes. But I'm weird in that I'm willing to accept some carb intake in the name of love. :)
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,057 Member
    Options
    What @wabmester said. I allow more carbs on a day like this. I only have dum sum about twice per year, so I enjoy it within reason. I love gai lan and if I can get seafood and meatballs without wrappers, that's what I do, but do eat several pork filled dumplings too.