I'm pretty mad at myself

Options
dietbepsi
dietbepsi Posts: 136 Member
Just starting my fourth week today. Been feeling pretty crappy all day today. I thought I might be low on sodium so I had some broth. But I really think it's just something else I've been really queasy and nauseous. I Couldn't eat all day except for a few cashews and that's it. I made dinner for the family, we had breakfast for dinner because I just wasn't feeling up to cooking. I made biscuits and gravy, fried eggs, and hashbrowns. And one egg. Anyhow, I just felt like I had to eat something. I should've just fought it but I didn't I gave in. I ate a biscuit.... And some sausage gravy. Including my cashews I have had about 60 carbs today... And I'm totally beating myself up for it. But in all honestly the nauseous feeling went away so maybe that's what I needed? I don't know. I know it wasn't the best choice. Anyhow. Do you sometimes rotate your carbs or do you always try to stay at the same amount of carbs like under 20 or so? I've been no more than 20 net carbs this whole time this is the highest day that I've had. I hope I haven't completely sabotaged myself.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Or you just needed food in general..

But no, you haven't sabotaged yourself. Just jump right back on plan. It'll be ok. You'll probably feel pretty cruddy later though...
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I agree with Sunny. I've had a couple higher carb days like that here and there over the past 3.5 months but I always got back on track pretty quickly.
  • AmyWininger
    AmyWininger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have that problem. I've been trying to start eating LCHF for a couple of weeks, and by day 4 or so I get nauseous and eat carbs because I feel that's the only thing that helps. I really don't know what to do. If you find a solution, please let me know!
  • vilenski193
    vilenski193 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have that on and off too. I discussed it with a weight loss doctor and she says. Power through it drinks lots of water. It's your body's way of adjusting to all the fat. I personally still hate the feeling but it does come and go less often the longer you are doing it.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    I have that problem. I've been trying to start eating LCHF for a couple of weeks, and by day 4 or so I get nauseous and eat carbs because I feel that's the only thing that helps. I really don't know what to do. If you find a solution, please let me know!

Do you know about the sodium needs on low carb? Being nauseous is a symptom of low electrolytes. You can avoid it and find it easier to stay on track
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Do you know about the sodium needs on low carb? Being nauseous is a symptom of low electrolytes. You can avoid it and find it easier to stay on track

This! The timing for it is spot on too. Around day 4 I get that same feeling unless I'm really keeping my sodium up, once I get the cruddy feeling though it takes me a few days to get my balance back and feel better.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Don't be shocked it scale jumps up in a day or 3 lol it will just be wAter weight and should come off easy? (I don't think easy is the right word but it will come off) the only way that meal can hurt you is if you stop other wise you'll be fine
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    My initial forays on LCHF I had the same problem about getting nauseated and ending up eating more carbs. I'm not sure what your macros are but for me, dropping my macros lower in carbs and higher in fat, plus plenty of sodium intake, really helped. My digestive system ended up actually being much happier after a few weeks of LCHF/keto, I was able to go off my Prilosec, etc. (For me the macros that ended up working were 10% carb, 65% fat and 25% protein.)
  • AmyWininger
    AmyWininger Posts: 150 Member
    Options

I've heard about it and don't really know what to do to raise sodium. I'm guessing regular table salt isn't the solution? Also, I know it is recommended to take Magnesium supplement, and I've tried some about a year ago, but the pills are just so huge that I couldn't keep taking them. Any recommendations?
  • landiodo
    landiodo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried higher carbs through eating veggie carbs like salad to feel better?
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Could it be that some people here are not eating their Broth and/or their pickles?

If you don't have time to make the Bone Broth, drink chicken or beef boullion cubes dissolved in a cup of hot water.
    All of the experienced ppl here wrote about that being essential, i'm wondering if that is the issue.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    edited February 2016
    Options

I've heard about it and don't really know what to do to raise sodium. I'm guessing regular table salt isn't the solution? Also, I know it is recommended to take Magnesium supplement, and I've tried some about a year ago, but the pills are just so huge that I couldn't keep taking them. Any recommendations?

Drinking broth or boullion, eating pickles or olives or you can simply take a couple sodium tablets you can get at the pharmacy. That can really be such an easy fix. They are small.
    You can also buy magnesium glycinate (which I think is best) or magnesium citrate online on powder form. On Amazon, I would look for it by the brand Bulk Supplements. They have many really good supplement products. I just started using hydrolyzed collagen for skin and joint health and have some Ginko Biloba on the way for ADHD. Very reasonably priced and almost everything is in its pure powder form.
    You could make your own electrolyte drink with sodium, magnesium, potassium and add lemon and ascorbic acid for a nice tart flavor and a little vitamin C or add some Mio if artificial sweeteners are ok for you.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

I hate huge pills too! I use a magnesium spray which you apply to your skin. Very easy!
  • dietbepsi
    dietbepsi Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    What I find weird is that it's four weeks and that I'm feeling this way. Because I hadn't been. Yes I definitely experienced keto flu last week, and I raised my sodium. And felt immediately better. However I don't think this is what I was feeling yesterday. I definitely had enough sodium between the tablet and the broth. I just don't know what to think. Hopefully it was just some kind of bug that was passing through me.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    dietbepsi wrote: »
    What I find weird is that it's four weeks and that I'm feeling this way. Because I hadn't been. Yes I definitely experienced keto flu last week, and I raised my sodium. And felt immediately better. However I don't think this is what I was feeling yesterday. I definitely had enough sodium between the tablet and the broth. I just don't know what to think. Hopefully it was just some kind of bug that was passing through me.

@dietbepsi Much like how a child has set backs at each developmental stage, as our bodies adapt to burning fats for fuel, we will also have adjustment "stages." Trouble zones where more electrolytes and such need to be added are:

Week 1
    Days 7, 14, 28, 42, 56, etc. Each 7-10 days or so you can become further adapted, until you hit that 12-16 week range.

If you change up exercise, eat off plan, or anything wacky - it resets this whole schedule. So basically, it sounds like you hit week four and finally hit that heavy level of keto-adaption...
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    edited February 2016
    Options
    dietbepsi wrote: »

It actually makes perfect sense. Almost everyone is already deficient in magnesium anyway because of depleted soils. So when your sodium went low, your body dumped magnesium and potassium in an effort to maintain the last and most minimal sodium you had left. It had to for your survival essentially. So you depleted your already low magnesium and also potassium which isn't as big of a concern but it still is it just seems easier to get it and maintain it...
    People that don't eat low carb or have any electrolyte issues at all should probably be supplementing at least 500mg of magnesium glycinate a day minimum. The body uses it for nearly everything it does. It's absolutely vital for peak and even basic health.
    The general rule to determine how much your body needs is to take an increasing dose day by day until it creates a digestive response. Meaning loose stool. It's only at that point that you have given your body more than it needs so it eliminates the rest. Once you reach that point, you reduce your dosage by one tablet or a couple hundred milligrams and keep taking that much until and if your body ever tells you again that you don't need that much. It's best to take it twice a day so you can break up the doses. And this rule doesn't apply to lesser forms of magnesium like oxide which will cause the digestive response before reaching maximum magnesium absorption levels.

So the sodium helped a little because it raised that level. But your magnesium is still low and your body is talking to you.... It's letting you know that something important is missing.