Leg Cramps

Options
carlsoda
carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
Ok, I know this has been covered over and over again but I have a question:

I am taking my magnesium nightly and generally I haven't had any leg cramps whatsoever except for last night. Woke me up, had to get up and stretch out my calf (it tends to hit just my left leg on the left side of my calf). Sooo..what else could be causing it? Lack of sodium maybe? I do drink a TON of water all day long during the weekdays..weekends are more of a struggle. BTW...this is the leg/calf where I had some nerve damage from a pinched sciatic nerve abut 3 years ago but I don't think it's related.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated :) you guys are SO knowledgeable!

Replies

• ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I was taking 200 mg of magnesium citrate and I had to up the doseage so instead of 2 200mg I started taking 2 more at night and finally my leg cramps have disappeared ...maybe up your doseage of magnesium
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Yep. I would say it's the dosage. I don't know how much you're taking, but unless you've increased it until you got to digestive tolerance, you probably need or could at least use more.
    Also the form of magnesium matters as far as how much your body can actually use of it.
    Glycinate is thought to be the best absorbed and any other form that ends is "ate" should be good too.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I began a magnesium citrate supplement very early in this process that began a year ago now. But, no matter how much I took (reached the bathroom side effect) I still had leg and foot cramps! Once I finally focused on sodium (I was reluctant because of the brainwashing!) and made sure to get at least 4000mg every day, I got the relief I needed and am sleeping through the night again. I allowed this to continue for far too long, and didn't have to! I use sodium tablets to achieve this level since I'm not able to eat enough to meet my needs.
  • carlsoda
    Options
    I've been using a liquid magnesium called WaterOz. I just went to look for info on the type of magnesium in it (I know it's not citrate) but just found out their factory burnt down! I guess when I'm out of it, I'll be switching to liquid calm :) I'll try uping the dosage at night very slowly and see if that helps! Oh and maybe sodium too :)

Thank you!!!!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Also, making sure you get additional potassium in addition to the magnesium can be helpful to some. Adding in lite salt or nusalt can help with that.
  • carlsoda
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Also, making sure you get additional potassium in addition to the magnesium can be helpful to some. Adding in lite salt or nusalt can help with that.

Will do! Thanks!!!
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Please be cautious on upping Mg. Do it, that is great advice. Just beware the bathroom effect and back off gently, if you trip over your magic tolerance threshold. The results can be TMI to share here!
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I second SamadaIndia comment. Reaching above your tolerance isn't fun. Up it gradually but I have upped both magnesium (starting taking a supplement as well as bathing with epsom salts) and stopped worrying about salt. I was try to keep it down and now I just don't think about it. Haven't had leg cramps in awhile. Potassium I figure is mostly taken care of because of the amount of meat in the diet and a vitamin daily. I should measure but the cramps are gone.

Good luck!
  • carlsoda
    Options
    Thanks for the advice...since I take liquid mag I was just going to pour a little more into my spoonful at night! I did however put extra salt on my veggies at lunch! We also use the pink Mediterranean salt at home and if I remember right it has less sodium than regular salt with all the good minerals stripped out of it. :)
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,049 Member
    Options
    I take Natural Calm at night, and that helps, but when my foot cramps return, I know I need to eat some avocado for the potassium, and the cramps are gone.
  • carlsoda
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    I take Natural Calm at night, and that helps, but when my foot cramps return, I know I need to eat some avocado for the potassium, and the cramps are gone.

Oh interesting..you know I haven't had any avocado in a couple of weeks, but I do have 2 ripening on my counter right now. I'll be able to eat them soon! Thanks for the tip!!
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    @carlsoda- I have exactly the same thing. I had lumbar spine surgery and some residual radiulopathy in my lower left leg. If I get a cramp, that's where I get it. I have found if I stay consistent with the Magnesium (I take about 1300 mg every day), it stays quiet. I take Magnesium Citrate together with Potassium Citrate. They really help.