Joint stiffness and carbs

Options
NewSue52
NewSue52 Posts: 180 Member
I fell off the keto wagon and have indiscriminantly been eating carbs. I don't think I've gained much weight but the stiffness and arthritis like pain is back. Is it wishful thinking on my part or does low carb help decrease joint pain? Has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Yep going through it this am too. Mostly in my neck and shoulders after too much sugar yesterday. I don't have arthritis but do get aches in my joints when I'm not eating low carb. If i continued eating like yesterday the aches would spread all throughout my body.
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    Options
    Yes..carbs promote inflammation in the body. Since going low carb, my knee arthritis pain has been greatly diminished.
  • cedarsidefarm
    cedarsidefarm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes, I was telling my spouse how I was feeling so good. I don't think I've ever felt this energetic. And to make things even better, the pain in my ankles and hands is gone. I'm well over 50 and my doctor has been telling me I had arthritis. But now the pain is gone and I feel so wonderful.

So I just want to say low carb took away the aches in my joints and gave me so much energy. And I'm never hungry.
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Yes! I get horrible hip pain.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Yes. Carbs make joint pain worse, or at least one of them did, as it has gone when low carb.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Ah yes - good'ol sugar! That'll do it! ;)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    If I get exposed to carbs (even from veggies when I eat them!) I will experience pain of some type!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Yes..carbs promote inflammation in the body.

Both carbs and sugars are know to aggravate any underlying inflammation issues already present in the body. I verbally confirmed this with my doctor a couple of months into Keto (back in late 2014) when I noticed a HUGE reduction in the carpal tunnel pain I was normally experiencing pre-keto as opposed to once on keto. This was just one more additional bonus to this WOE I hadn't been aware of but was extremely pleasantly surprised by!
  • dtobio
    dtobio Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You aren't imagining this at all. As I went up the stairs in my house last night DH pointed out that it's been at least weeks since I stopped halfway up to mention that my joints were hurting. I don't wake up with joint pain anymore either. I've only lost 6 lbs since recommitting to this and lowering my carbs (and that was 2 weeks ago) so I know it isn't just less weight stressing my joints that's to thank for this. I definitely notice a relationship between carb consumption and increased joint pain.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Going low carb helped with my pain too.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    sault_girl wrote: »

Me too. It's my "morning after" wakeup call to get back on the keto train!
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    camtosh wrote: »
    sault_girl wrote: »

Me too. It's my "morning after" wakeup call to get back on the keto train!

This. A day or two after a carb-fest (my demise is Mexican restaurants), I get a dull ache in my hips and lower back that lasts an entire day. Crazy.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Honestly, although I tried a very low carb diet for joint pain, my joints seem to be doing fine on a moderate carb diet that allows about 70 grams of carbs, total, not net. And my digestive system likes a little bit of raw oatmeal every day, for reasons I don't want to talk about. But NO sugar!