Is it normal?

I have always drank a lot of water. SO I am use to frequent bathroom trips. But I swear I am running to pee like every 20 minutes. Is this normal? Is it related to the change in diet?

Replies

• kimbo8435
    kimbo8435 Posts: 129 Member
    That was me for the first 2 weeks I was ketoing. It's evened out for the most part. Hang tough!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    It may also be that your bladder muscles have weakened. This often happens to us as we age; however, the bladder is a muscle just like everything else and if you exercise it (and it is possible to do that) you will find that you no longer have to run to the bathroom every 20 minutes. This happened to me to around April of 2014. The trick is to "hold it" and NOT run to the bathroom every time you get the urge to go. By doing so, you force your bladder muscles to "work." Start small. See if you can hold off going to the bathroom for 5 minutes every time you feel that urge for a week. The next week make it 10 minutes, etc. Over time your bladder muscles will respond and you will no longer have to run to the bathroom. It worked for me. One note of caution: "holding it" for too long (hours and hours) is know to sometime cause UTI's so do err on the side of caution.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    ladipoet wrote: »
    It may also be that your bladder muscles have weakened. This often happens to us as we age; however, the bladder is a muscle just like everything else and if you exercise it (and it is possible to do that) you will find that you no longer have to run to the bathroom every 20 minutes. This happened to me to around April of 2014. The trick is to "hold it" and NOT run to the bathroom every time you get the urge to go. By doing so, you force your bladder muscles to "work." Start small. See if you can hold off going to the bathroom for 5 minutes every time you feel that urge for a week. The next week make it 10 minutes, etc. Over time your bladder muscles will respond and you will no longer have to run to the bathroom. It worked for me. One note of caution: "holding it" for too long (hours and hours) is know to sometime cause UTI's so do err on the side of caution.

Also, if you have any form of prolapse (it can happen at any age, sadly), this is a no-no!

Pelvic floor exercises are great, but they don't generally affect just the bladder. Holding in your bladder like this can actually cause you to not empty your bladder completely, so make sure you consult with a medical professional, preferably a knowledgeable gynecologist or urogynecologist, to make sure you aren't at risk for increasing prolapse complications.

Just a heads up to check before starting anything like this to check into it first.
  • CoffeeSalty
    CoffeeSalty Posts: 38 Member
    If you're not pregnant and just starting keto, it's probably just the initial water loss. I had a hysterectomy a few years ago mainly because of a prolapsed bladder but in my case it didn't cause me to go more often. BUT, I agree with KnitOrMiss on not holding your urine because of the bladder not emptying. With a prolapsed bladder, it's even more difficult as I would have to lean forward and backward to get it all out. Holding it would cause your chances of a UTI to go up, too.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    edited February 2016
    Carbs/glycogen cause you to retain more water intramuscularly. As you deplete the glycogen and dont restore it by eating heavy carbs, you will find yourself expelling it. Calms down after a while, once you reach your new balance.

I have noticed also ( anecdotally ) that liquids seem to pass thru me more rapidly as well ( sip to trip ... )