Feeling discouraged guys!!

Options
So I am on the last day of week two and I couldn't finish it today! I had no problems finishing the first two days of week two but today I just couldn't make it through. My thighs and calves we burning and my right knee was hurting. I am heavy so I assume the knee pain is normal. Any advice on how to push through this? I really want to make it through the whole program!!

Thanks!!!

Replies

• Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    Sometimes there are just bad days...
    That said, knee pain is something I would not run with. Try different shoes. If this does not help, see a doctor.
  • ajhawke86
    ajhawke86 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Aine8046 wrote: »
    Sometimes there are just bad days...
    That said, knee pain is something I would not run with. Try different shoes. If this does not help, see a doctor.

Dang! I was hoping that wasn't the case. Thank you!
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing since it was day 3, you have two rest days ahead before you're due to run again. Take those rest days, RICE (Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate) the knee if it continues to give you grief, and see how you feel on your next run day. @Aine8046 could be right, it can just be a bad day. If you think week three is going to be too much, repeat week two. No shame in it (When I first did a c25k I repeated week one 3 times, and week two a couple as well).

I know it gets mentioned all the time, but what type of shoes are you using? If you're using 2/3/4/5 year old shoes to run in, that may be a cause of the sore calves and knees. Ggoogle search for an actual running store, not your local sports store or Foot Locker, and go get yourself fitted properly for shoes. They can get expensive, but compared to injuring yourself, I see it as a good investment.

I don't know what your exercise regime was like prior to starting c25k, but if you've gone from being basically inactive and not doing any decent amounts of walking for exercise, it may be that your joints need time to catch up to the new impact of running.
  • coryh00
    coryh00 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    1. If you need extra rest, take it. An injury will just keep you out even longer.
    2. No shame in repeating a day/week if you think you need to-at least your still working at it.
    3. Absolutely find an actual running shop and have them help you pick the right shoe, it makes a huge difference.
    4. Not sure how fast your trying to go, but slow down if you need to.
    5. Try using an elliptical if you need to build up your tolerance to exercise a little, its easier on your body than actually running, but does feel different until you get use to it.
  • Riskay123
    Riskay123 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Every run for me is different. Some are so easy then the next one which is in the same week is harder. A few things make a difference for me that I have noticed are, making sure I have drunk a lot of water before my run. I need to be really hydrated. The time of the day can make a difference. Sometimes I run early in the morning sometimes late at night depending on my schedule. I always struggle if I have eaten anything less than 2 hours before my run. I went to a physio for my knees and the main issue that I found was that I was not stretching enough. I started stretching at random times throughout the day not just after exercise and it really helped. Take a few days rest and stretch heaps then give it another try and see how you go.

Don't give up. Everyone has "bad" runs. If I can't finish one then I just do that one again in two days’ time. Go at the pace you need to go at. Move forward when you’re ready. Slow progress is still progress.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Stretching is good advice. I've hurt myself before (knees, back, etc) so now I stretch before and after any workout/running session. I even use a foam roller sometimes just to work out kinks before they set in (and it's great for your IT Band, which I learned that I have after running last time around and damn that thing can hurt!).

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

Now where's my foam roller...?
  • smileygirlxx
    smileygirlxx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm about to start week 5...still can't believe I've come this far having never run in my life. When it hurts I shout 'dig deep or do it again' meaning if I don't finish, I know I'll only have to do it again..that keeps me going...luckily I'm indoors on a treadmill so I don't look insane shouting at myself!! I also talk to the podcast girl, thank her when she says 'you're doing great' etc...maybe I'm insane after all. Good luck everyone, slow and steady (and shouting!) wins the race
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    It might just have been a bad run. We all get them :-). For your knees, I'd make sure you're using the right footwear. The wrong type of shoe can cause injury. Good luck. It's a fabulous journey. If you have to walk part of it, walk. You're doing. Don't get discouraged because you can't finish by running it all. Plodders always win the long-term race.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis in my knees and wear a HOKA shoes -- my trainer recommends them for people with knee problems. That being said I do High Intensity Interval training and run at most only once a week. But I can run a 5K without a problem. I'm trying to save my knees as long as possible, by running less frequently but still running (cause I like to run).