Out to Eat

Options
emilybeaver
emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
I'm going out to eat with a friend tonight. They are primarily a Mexican place but have different kinds of food. I want to stick with a salad. Which one do you think? http://www.towerquincy.com/menu_jpg_4.php.html

Replies

• Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    They all look ok, I would choose whichever one floats your boat, the only one I might skip on is the marinated chicken, because I have no idea what they marinate it in. Also, if you're picking the shrimp, ask if there is any flour on it. Other then that, I would ask for no peppers and minimum pico de gallo (my choice, since I'd rather not spend my carbs on a lot of non-leafy green veg), and stick to full fat ranch or bleu cheese dressing. Oh, and don't forget to ask if they put any croutons or tortilla strips on the salad, and not get that as well.
    That being said, they also have fajitas and un-breaded chicken wings. And the place seems vaguely familiar, I think I may have eaten there in my previous life.
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    If it was me I would pick the steak fajita salad :)
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I've gone out for mexican and order the fajitas, no beans, veggies instead of beans. They gave me a bunch of veggies, steak and chicken, and the tortillas are on the side. I just didn't eat the wraps and ate the delish fillings :)

That said most of the salads are fine, just order no tomatoes. Not sure about olives. The taco salad might be higher in carbs if they use a lot of taco seasoning on the hamburger.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I eat tomatoes and salsa on my taco salads, and it's never been too much for me. I don't eat pico because I don't like chunks or pieces of raw onion (pureed in salsa is tolerable), but otherwise, I just load up on cheese, meat, sour cream, guac, etc. Olives are supposed to be good for fats/salt...
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Gaucomole, (no taco chips), favorite meat n salad. I can usually pull the taco chips off n leave them if they loose the message to the kitchen. Have fun!!
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Unfortunately I am not a fan of guacamole.....or fish...or shrimp...haha...and I don't like tomatoes or olives :smile: I'm a tad picky I guess.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Unfortunately I am not a fan of guacamole.....or fish...or shrimp...haha...and I don't like tomatoes or olives :smile: I'm a tad picky I guess.

No worries, plenty of yummy options left! And don't be afraid to try things you used to hate periodically. Your taste buds will change a lot eating low carb...
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Oh man I wish we had a mexican restaurant around here! (taco bell doesn't count!) I have some kind of "taco" or "fajita" salad probably 2 or 3 times a week. They all look great, just find out if they serve it in a big nacho chip bowl or something you don't want to be tempted by.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    sault_girl wrote: »
    Oh man I wish we had a mexican restaurant around here! (taco bell doesn't count!) I have some kind of "taco" or "fajita" salad probably 2 or 3 times a week. They all look great, just find out if they serve it in a big nacho chip bowl or something you don't want to be tempted by.

@sault_girl I batch cook taco meat regularly. It's my go to low carb meal. I make my own seasoning. Meat, sour cream, cheese, and sometimes salsa, avocado, or diced tomatoes.... YUM!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

@sault_girl I batch cook taco meat regularly. It's my go to low carb meal. I make my own seasoning. Meat, sour cream, cheese, and sometimes salsa, avocado, or diced tomatoes.... YUM!

Yes!!! Taco salads are my fav too! Such an easy dinner to throw together when I'm in a rush. And if I'm too high on protein for the day (which messes up my blood sugar) I'll even skip the meat because the toppings have plenty of yummy fat to fill me up.
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    I'm a little discouraged. My salad for lunch has 11 carbs in it.... :neutral:
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    total carbs or net carbs?
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    11 total carbs
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Emily: You still have 21 left for the day! I think you'll be fine. :)

Maybe try adding in what you think your dinner would look like for now? I try to add all my food before I eat and then adjust after. It helps me stay on track as well as let me sneak in a snack in the afternoon instead of waiting till the evening when I have extra wiggle room
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    I know I was trying to stay under 20 though....I just set it at 35 just in case...what I really want right now is a piece of bacon or a spoonful of PB
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    You can still stay under 20. How much protein have you had so far?
    If you plan for dinner to be meat, added fats, maybe some cheese... Then you have 9g for a veg if you want.
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    I think I'm going to get this salad....crisp salad greens topped with a southwestern seasoned
    chicken breast, green onions and cheese, sided with pico de gallo, banana peppers, jalapeños and chipotle ranch dressing
    Without the green onions, pico, banana peppers, and jalapenos since I'm not a fan of all of those.