Yogurt created with Heavy Whipping Cream

Hi,

I am a keto-er who loves plain greek yogurt. I eat it sparingly due to the carb content and the fact that most don't have enough fat. The best I have found of all the brands are fage total (full fat plain) and Trader Joe's full fat plain yogurt. I was thinking of making my own yogurt with a mix of heavy whipping cream or half and half instead of whole milk.

Is anyone here an experienced yogurt maker? I was going to buy a yogurt making starter kit, but I was wondering how much liquid you need to use? Would a heavy whipping cream yogurt have the same amount of calories of whipped heavy cream?

I would be grateful for any guidance from more experienced culinary minded individuals. My cooking skills are moderate at best, and I am slightly concerned about screwing this up.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    Join this group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/106573-ketogenic-diet-water-fasting

They have an entire discussion with links and everything about creating yogurt.
  • ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    I've done both 35% cream and 18% table cream. I actually prefer the latter. I can't tell you what the carbs are exactly but a company called Peak makes a triple cream yogurt and they say it has 3 g for a 125 g serving (which is a good amount).

The longer you culture your yogurt, the less sugar it will have and the tangier it will be. I use my Instant Pot on the yogurt setting and ran it through the "warm" phase twice (about 16 hours) for the 18% cream. The yogurt is very thick and delicious!
  • KnitOrMiss
    I've done both 35% cream and 18% table cream. I actually prefer the latter. I can't tell you what the carbs are exactly but a company called Peak makes a triple cream yogurt and they say it has 3 g for a 125 g serving (which is a good amount).

The longer you culture your yogurt, the less sugar it will have and the tangier it will be. I use my Instant Pot on the yogurt setting and ran it through the "warm" phase twice (about 16 hours) for the 18% cream. The yogurt is very thick and delicious!

I would kill for one of those things!!! I've heard so much good stuff about the Instant Pot... How much do you love it, @ambergem1969?
  • ambergem1969
    @KnitOrMiss I love it a lot! And I'm not a huge fan of slow cooked food! I like the speed of the pressure cooker for broth (hello - a few hours instead of days? Yes please!). And the yogurt feature is a bonus.

The only challenges are the learning curve using the pressure cooker and the fact that there aren't a lot if LCHF recipes out there for it.

I'm still learning! Worth the price if you can swing it.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    The only challenges are the learning curve using the pressure cooker and the fact that there aren't a lot if LCHF recipes out there for it.

Michelle Tam loves hers!
    http://nomnompaleo.com/post/125878339293/my-top-paleo-pressure-cookerinstant-pot-recipes
  • ambergem1969
    kirkor wrote: »

Michelle Tam loves hers!
    http://nomnompaleo.com/post/125878339293/my-top-paleo-pressure-cookerinstant-pot-recipes

I love her site. I made the Thai Beef Curry (two blog posts ago) last night and it was amazing! I didn't add the sweet potato and put in two little carrots. The flavour was wonderful - and without rice to soak it all up, I just treated it like a soup. I hope she keeps posting Instant Pot recipes :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    kirkor wrote: »

Michelle Tam loves hers!

Yes, @kirkor that's actually where I heard about it first!