Paleo/Primal Breakfasts that aren't Meat and Eggs

Options
AbbeyDove
AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
Hi all,

I'm looking for suggestions for Paleo-ish or Primal breakfasts that would meet the above criteria and are quick to prepare (admittedly, they would be kind of un-Paleo criteria . . . sigh). I've been experimenting with Bullet Proof Coffee, but I get really hungry. I don't think liquid breakfasts work so well for me. Still, the BPC helps me keep my macros in the right place. I'm not completely pure with my diet, btw, so baking powder as an ingredient wouldn't freak me out. Thanks for any suggestions anyone has!

Replies

• MrsJayDubya
    MrsJayDubya Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've been grabbing and apple and handful of almonds. Sometimes I only eat one or the other. But either way it has kept my hunger at bay until lunch. I am a busy working mom of two young ones so unless its a weekend day with light plans, I don't have time to cook meat and eggs form breakfast.
  • jbonow1231
    jbonow1231 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Berries are in season now, and the raspberries seem to be particularly good this year.

Berries and nuts? Eggplant and mushrooms are good for a "meaty" taste but aren't actually meat.

I have a few recipes for coconut flour and nut meal muffins - if you bake some on a weekend, you can keep them in the fridge, they seem to last about a week so they would be available for morning meals.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    I had carrots this morning. And dandelion root tea. Maybe grab some nuts to hold you over? I used to eat a handful of pistachios daily for breakfast.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    When I can't be arsed making a breakfast,I have greek yogurt,raw shredded coconut,cinnamon, fresh berries and a cereal we have in Canada called holy crap..it has chia seeds,nuts,dried fruit and something else I can't think of right now..sometimes you just don't want a heavy morning.
  • DesdemonaRose
    Options
    plain yogurt with fruit, nuts, or whatever paleo foods you want to add so it's more filling. I'v been using some gluten free "cereal" but it's not totally paleo. Just a hell of a lot better than say dumping Cheerios in it :p
  • AbbeyDove
    Options
    Shoot! I forgot to tell everyone, my son has the dreaded peanut & tree nut allergy. We can't have any nuts in the house (it's a terrifying allergy--his airway closes so FAST!). So, that pretty much rules out anything with nuts. I eat an apple with 3T sunflower butter sometimes (a seed, so we can have it). I just get bored with the same old, same old! But thank you, everyone, for all of your suggestions, including the ones with nuts--I can't believe I forgot to mention that!
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Baked potatoes = amazing breakfasts when heavily salted and with a bit of something with it, be it cottage cheese, tomato paste, scrambled eggs or whatever suits your fancy.
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • moss11
    moss11 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    That is a difficult one! I can't quite get my head around putting enough fat into my bulletproof coffee, some guys put 20g butter and 20g coconut oil I am at half that. Also seem to need the bite/chew factor:-). Tried chicken thigh with skin and Sauerkraut but it didn't have satiety. Currently experimenting with cooking eggs different ways, sometimes with bacon sometimes cheese. Just got chorizo so going to try that with eggs as well, always have veg usually parsley or cabbage. Butter seems to give me satiety but again I still can't quite accept that it's okay to eat. Have noticed a couple of times when I have combined olive oil and butter I get greater satiety and energy, intend to keep tweaking and experimenting! Geez that didn't answer your question at all (basically not found anything yet with the same satiety, key for me) HTH.
  • paleobacon
    paleobacon Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you're including fish into the no meat part but I really enjoy some smoked salmon with avocado for breakfast. My non-meat go tos are:

Coconut milk 'yogurt' - get a can of full-fat (VERY important that it's full fat) coconut milk and leave it in the refrigerator for a few hours in the evening. Scoop out all the thick white milkfat into a bowl (there will be a bit of coconut water on the bottom of the can, DO NOT add that to the bowl) and add any kinds of berries or chocolate you like. Freeze the bowl overnight and in the morning you have a fluffy textured 'yogurt' with your favorite berries. You can also use it to make a faux-parfait (although I don't have any suggestions off the top of my head to replace the granola).

Chia seeds and almond milk - super simple. Take 1 Tbsp chia seeds, add to about 1 cup or so of almond milk, then add fruit/zest (I've used lemon zest as well as orange zest and cinnamon, both were fantastic). Leave in the refrigerator overnight and stir in the morning. It will have a gelatinous texture. Enjoy!
  • AbbeyDove
    Options
    Paleobacon, those are really interesting breakfasts! The coconut milk 'yogurt' doesn't get hard when you freeze it overnight? I sometimes make ice cream with coconut milk, and I have to put it in the microwave to get it to soften. I've looked at chia seeds quite a few times, but I haven't tried them yet. Looks like I'll have to pick up a bag.
  • JumpingDog
    JumpingDog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    This is what I had for breakfast this morning; I think it's pretty awesome and quick too. Only thing - it can be high on the carbs.

Almond & Flax Porridge
    url]Recipe courtesy of http://paleospirit.com/2013/paleo-breakfast-porridge/

Just throw all the stuff together in a skillet until warm and thickened. I like mine just like this with fruit and or syrup if I think I can spare the carbs. It's very filing - I ended up getting ~580 calories out of 1 serving with 2x the banana.

2 servings

1 ripe bananas, mashed
    1 cup coconut milk
    3/8 cup almond meal
    1/8 cup flax meal
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon ginger
    1/16 teaspoon ground cloves
    1/16 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/16 teaspoon celtic sea salt
    1/2 maple syrup or raw honey (Excluding this can cut the carbs)
    1/2 toppings like berries, unsweetened coconut flakes, nuts, seeds, etc… (optional but tasty)

Coconut Egg Nog
    4003671.jpg?preset=sitethumb
    Recipe courtesy of http://primalsmoothies.com/coconut-egg-nog/

Blend all ingredients. This has eggs in it but it doesn't taste like eggs. It's super filling and can actually be too much smoothie for me early in the morning. Super tasty though. I sub the coconut palm sugar out for a banana or Splenda depending on my mood.

1 large serving

1 Cup Coconut Milk
    4 Large Egg Yolks
    1 TBSP Coconut Palm Sugar
    1 tsp Nutmeg, Ground
    1/2 tsp Cloves, Ground
    1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
    1/4 Cup Ice

Muesli
    4207683.jpg?preset=sitethumb
    Recipe courtesy of http://www.thefoodieandthefamily.com/2012/02/13/muesli/#more-1521

Just take a look at the link. Basically you through whatever fruits, seeds and nuts you want together with coconut milk. It's a little cereal-like. I don't necessarily follow the instructions or include all of the ingredients but it's tasty anyway.

Pumpkin Spice Waffles
    4210572.jpg?preset=sitethumb
    Recipe courtesy of http://www.thefoodieandthefamily.com/2011/09/25/pumpkin-spice-waffles/#more-1079

This recipe says 8 waffles but I think it made less

And then here's a waffle recipe because waffles. Sort of frankensteining a little bit but I do like these, especially with heavy cream on them. Again, they can be carb heavy depending on your toppings and whether you include syrup in them. These stay together and aren't super dry. Cook just like regular waffles except oil your waffle iron between each set of waffles (even if your iron is nonstick). They will stick if you don't oil the waffle maker.

Whether you want to whip the egg whites is up to you - I don't. I don't see a difference either way to be honest. I skip it for time and easiness.

INGREDIENTS:
    1/2 cup coconut flour
    1 tablespoon cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
    pinch of ground cloves
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    8 egg yolks
    1 cup pumpkin puree
    1/4 cup coconut milk
    2 tablespoons maple syrup
    8 egg whites

INSTRUCTIONS:
    Preheat the waffle iron to the setting you prefer.
    In a small bowl, combine coconut flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and baking soda. In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks, pumpkin puree, coconut milk, and maple syrup. Beat the egg whites until they have soft peaks.
    Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and whisk until well combined. Stir in 1/4 of the egg whites and then fold in the remainder of the egg whites, until they are thoroughly combined. Pour a 1/2 cup of batter onto the waffle iron and cook as per waffle iron instructions.
  • AbbeyDove
    Options
    Thanks, JumpingDog--those look great! I'm pondering right now what I could sub in for the almonds in the porridge. The spouse and spawn would be very pleased if I made them waffles!
  • learysp
    learysp Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do a "green" smoothie with fruit and veggies. UGLY to look at but all you taste is the fruit, get 2-3 servings of veggies at breakfast and 100% paleo. No dairy no grain.
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Stacy and Matt from Paleo Parents make "flour" from sunflower seeds that they've had good results subbing for other nut flours...
  • JumpingDog
    JumpingDog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Sorry about that, I don't have nut allergies so I completely forget how many things are considered tree nuts. Hmm, how about desiccated coconut? The almond meal in that recipe just bulks the mixture up and gets soft. The coconut might not be as soft as quickly.
    I do a "green" smoothie with fruit and veggies. UGLY to look at but all you taste is the fruit, get 2-3 servings of veggies at breakfast and 100% paleo. No dairy no grain.

I have made veggie and fruit smoothies but all of mine taste disgusting, look disgusting and are gritty. My food processor and blender are too low budget to even make smooth pesto. I like all of the components of my smoothies but blended together they make me want to barf. Then again, I don't like fruit or vegetable juices much anyway. I just eat my veggies raw or cooked in their original, non-blended format. I'd love to drink them but I can only make bitter, tonics of veggie fiber laced with fruit.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Have you tried just not doing breakfast? I've found that I now do well without breakfast. I try to eat and end up hungry two hours later.
  • raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    paleo pumpkin pancakes are great! We do about 2 cups of pumpkin, 6 eggs, tbsp honey, 1/2tsp baking soda, and either pumpkin spice or cinnamon/nutmeg. Just make sure they brown a bit before you flip them. You can add blueberries in them, or top with strawberries, i like adding a bit of honey and cinnamon on time. SO good!
  • AbbeyDove
    Options
    Y'know, Dragonwolf, now that I'm actively trying to cut calories it's something I've considered. The closest I've gotten is Bullet-proof coffee, because to me a liquid isn't really a breakfast. I got so hungry, and I'm hypoglycemic, so when I'm really hungry I turn into an insanely crabby lunatic (hence the low carb, paleo orientation, tho I'm by no means perfect).

Raisingbabyk, that recipe sounds great! I've tried a similar recipe from Practical paleo--they were kind of gooey in the middle!
  • harpielady
    harpielady Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I make a big batch of paleo granola from http://paleomg.com/paleo-granola, which I sprinkle on greek yoghurt along with flaxseed. Grilled figs are a nice extra, too.

I find that recipe has too much honey/maple syrup/oil for my liking so I usually reduce it to 1 tbsp coconut oil, 30ml each of honey and maple syrup.