BACON

Options
emilybeaver
emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
So I keep seeing everyone talk about bacon. I love me some bacon. But due to the most "diets" they say steer clear of it. Well damn I want some bacon now! What is the best way to cook it? We usually just do it in the oven...

Replies

• dietbepsi
    dietbepsi Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I ADORE bacon cooked in the oven. It literally melts in your mouth...and it doesn't stink up the house.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Oven way is easiest and I like easy. But sure, you can fry on the stove too. I mean, it's bacon!
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I like the oven because I can fit more bacon on a cookie sheet than I can fit in a fry pan. I tend to make 10-20 pieces at a time for recipes or just to have around (and don't throw out the fat! I save it for frying non-bacon things!)
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I always do it in the oven. Load up that sheet tray with a rack on it to catch those wonderful drippings, that I then pour in to a jar or can to keep for cooking.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    My oven must be too small for this. When I tried, the bacon grease splattered all over the place and was sparking when it hit the heat rods on top. :(
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    I'm going to buy some bacon this week....my husband will be super excited. He loves bacon!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    My oven must be too small for this. When I tried, the bacon grease splattered all over the place and was sparking when it hit the heat rods on top. :(

It's more the heat that's a factor than the oven size, @Sunny_Bunny_ . To keep bacon fat below it's smoke point, you need to cook it around 325, rather than the 375 listed on most packages of bacon. 375 spatters my entire oven. 325 does not.

EDITED TO ADD: keeping it below it's smoke point keeps it from oxidizing and makes it safe to cook with later.
  • makomike
    makomike Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I also buy the pre-cooked bacon. Pop in the microwave for a quick bacon fix.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I had bacon on a stick for lunch and it was delicious. No idea how they prepared it but it was thick cut and very juicy.. :smiley:
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I microwave our bacon. It's easy and fast LOL!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I cook a whole cookie sheet full in the oven at the 325 degree setting. I save some for use later! :smiley: Save the bacon drippings to cook some veggies in! Any woe without bacon is terrible, and those people are sad! Lol!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

It's more the heat that's a factor than the oven size, @Sunny_Bunny_ . To keep bacon fat below it's smoke point, you need to cook it around 325, rather than the 375 listed on most packages of bacon. 375 spatters my entire oven. 325 does not.

EDITED TO ADD: keeping it below it's smoke point keeps it from oxidizing and makes it safe to cook with later.

I think I'll try it again since I'm making breakfast for dinner tonight. That may have been my issue.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    @KnitorMiss good to know; I usually cook it around 375-400.
    I do love cooking it in the oven; so easy and less mess.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    @KnitorMiss good to know; I usually cook it around 375-400.
    I do love cooking it in the oven; so easy and less mess.

You can also cook it at first with tinfoil on it, until there is a bacon grease in the pan, and then just crisp up. My understanding is most of the splatter happens at first, as any remaining water is cooked out, etc.
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    And now on to a coffee question....I drink coffee with tons of flavored creamers. What do you all put in your coffee to make it super sweet and not taste like coffee...
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    And now on to a coffee question....I drink coffee with tons of flavored creamers. What do you all put in your coffee to make it super sweet and not taste like coffee...

If you're going low carb, you will have to give up on the super sweet stuff - flat out - or you'll never succeed long term. Most others use heavy cream and such in their coffee.... Your taste of sweet will change, but there are SF syrups and such...but you have to be careful with those. That being said, why drink coffee if you can't stand the taste? Make keto cocoa or loaded hot tea or something...
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    I actually have been doing really well. I haven't had any coffee for going on almost a week. I never started drinking coffee until I had a kid and needed the caffeine. So maybe I'll just stick to the water :smiley:
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

Sooooo, this was me when I started.
    I started out using 3Tbs of sugar free coffee syrup to about 10 ounces of coffee, plus heavy cream and coconut oil. Over the first couple months I cut back about half a Tbs at a time but I would tend to find myself creeping back up again and again. So I knew I had to cut it further. But I was still being a big baby about it and just cut it to 2 Tbs. then I teetered between 1 and 2 until I got fed up with the cravings for sweet that would come if I had a little extra now and then so I cut the cord and quit using it. Cold turkey! It's what worked best for me when I quit sugar too.
    Then I suddenly didn't like cream in my coffee anymore and prefer only butter and MCT oil.
    Now I've realized that I also drank crappy coffee! So I've been sampling all kinds of different ones from local coffee shops and I also really like a couple of Starbucks reserve roasts.
    I honestly have decided that if we drink good coffee we wouldn't feel the need to disguise its flavor. I've always loved coffee but I realize all those ground coffees on my grocers shelf needed some help for me to like them. Once I cut the sweetener they were gross. Once I bought some good coffee, it was good again.
    I'm also going to ditch my kuerig pretty soon and may just go with a French press so I can be an official coffee snob. lol
  • ShootingStar72
    ShootingStar72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ I totally agree with ditching the Keurig! I either use a french press or Bialetti mokka express. You can see the yummy oils from the coffee beans floating in the brew :)
  • ShootingStar72
    ShootingStar72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    And oven bacon is yummy! Thanks for the advice about the correct temperature @KnitOrMiss . I've been cooking it way too hot, around 400.