What did you exchange food with?

Options
Dandelie
Dandelie Posts: 153 Member
I am/have been struggling to find a better way of coping with my emotional eating. I have a stationary bike and use it to exercise to music. Lately, I have been working toward using it as my coping mechanism. Unfortunately, it is not in a private place that would allow me to rely on it fully. And in those times when I want that privacy, I rely on food again through weakness.

Replies

• ChelseaPeanut
    ChelseaPeanut Posts: 15 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have struggled with this for a lonnnnng time. I have now resolved to the following:

If I'm bored, first I drink water, then I eat a protein filled something (yogurt, hard boiled egg, protein cookie, etc.)...After this I'm usually no longer hungry or in need of food. I have found so much of my eating is out of boredom or stress.
    If I'm stressed, I go into a private place (even if it has to be the restroom) and practice deep breathing and positive self talk, or fix myself a cup of tea.
    I used to grab a glass of wine, or 3, and then gorge myself until I would drift into a food and wine coma. And that, my friend, is how I gained 82 pounds over the course of 6 years. I would not recommend it. :p
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Tea, hugging something or someone, distraction with a task or a game or something to watch/listen to, the delaying of satisfaction with the thought of a pre-made, or pre-planned, meal as reward (like "I'll be having dinner soon, so I shouldn't eat now or I'll spoil it."). I've been thinking about getting into crossword puzzles, lately.
  • whitneyann2014
    whitneyann2014 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hot tea in the evenings has been my lifesaver. It's a treat to look forward to. You're already doing something right by acknowledging your triggers! Agree with the water and small protein packed snack.
  • malovafarms
    malovafarms Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    its tough.. nothing seems to hit it like food ! lol I always loved food.. more than most things. But yep I try the bath, a walk, petting animals and hanging with my god daughter. I can make it through days pretty well unless Im seriously overwhelmed and I find myself subconsciously eating things before I even realize Im trying to soothe.. the good new is I work really hard at not being overwhelmed like I used to .. so days easier.. evenings are challenging.. but Ill even use the walk switch then too. oh yeah and logging on to fitness pal and surfing healthy eating vids and blogs.. it keeps the brainwash into health going :) helpful :)