Excellent article worth a read

smuller73
smuller73 Posts: 71 Member
My husband tagged me on Facebook on this article this morning. Really good read. Loved his attitude.
http://m.news24.com/news24/MyNews24/On-Tim-Noakes-and-Bullsht-20140113

Replies

• camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Great read, skip the idiotic comments though...
  • smuller73
    I didn't bother reading the comments. I knew it would bring out the idiots.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,158 Member
    Comments actually are overwhelmingly supportive of LCHF and one person even explained how this WOE greatly reduced seizures in his child.
    Thanks for posting.
  • smuller73
    LINIA wrote: »
    Comments actually are overwhelmingly supportive of LCHF and one person even explained how this WOE greatly reduced seizures in his child.
    Thanks for posting.

In that case I may go back and read them. So used to people trolling nonsense that I tend to avoid comments sections.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Is it bad that wanted to see the dumb comments to see how many used the kind of speak he specifically mentioned in the article?
    I couldn't though. On mobile you have to click a link to view comments and it wouldn't open. Guess I'll live. Lol
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,158 Member
    Here are a few really positive comments ( yes, i'm on a laptop right now):

"I'm a retired doctor and I agree with every word you said. I'm on the LCHF myself and for the first time ever I actually lost weight over Christmas. I remember years ago trying the Atkins diet and finding it excellent and I couldn't understand the ridiculous vilification of the poor man and the unscientific repudiation of his claims from people who should know better. The one thing he got wrong was the mechanism i.e. ketosis. Not enough was known at the time to be sure how it worked. The REALLY impressive thing about LCHF is the lack of hunger. I imagine that the problem with most dieticians is that they don't read, or at least cricically read the literature."

---
    Read TRICK OR TREAT by Barry Groves. Farmers in America convinced the Heart Association of eating lots of carbs, good for their farming. The pharmaceutical company's just tell you what they want you to know and to sell their products. Dietitians work out a diet for diabetes patients with lots of carbs, to get the pills to work. Without any carbs no pills will be necessary. Same for cholesterol, biggest money spinner in the world, but you need cholesterol for all body functions. Go with Tim Noakes.

---
    Gary, I was dead keen to read the article, as I have a vested interest in Ketosis and the effect of a Ketogenic on the human body. My 4 month old son is on the ketogenic diet, due him suffering from Epilepsy. The epilepsy was a result of Meningitis when he was 3 weeks old. Since he started the diet he has had no seizures. This was 8 weeks ago and he has not had another seizure. However your story is way too long to keep my ADHD at bay.
    John Hopkins is also where we did most of the finding out too. What infuriates me the most with our son's condition is that he was in and out of ICU for the first 2 months of his life with the doctors and Peadiactric Neuros treating it only by means of increasing his meds. Had we not by chance come about an article on John Hopkins and they Keto Treatment we would still be video taping the little guy to see how many seizure he actually has a day. When we mentioned the option to our doctors, they didnt think that a Ketogenic would be an option.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Thanks for posting. Good read. And I am going to commit the two studies mentioned to memory so that I can drag them up when I am challenged too forcefully about our WOE.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    What a great read.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    So how do we know when we are being bullsh*tted? When a self-appointed nutrition ‘expert’ says “a calorie is just a calorie”. Or when they say “Calories in must be less than calories out”. Or they use sciencey-words like “the laws of thermodynamics and energy conservation” . Those are actual myths that have been actually debunked. My personal favorite, *kitten*-eating sentence is “one gram of carb contains 4 calories while a gram of fat contains 9 calories”. This may be true, but it is totally irrelevant in human metabolism. It has nothing to do with making you fat.

Hahahaha! Yes!
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    @camtosh , most of the comments I read were positive and fairly well thought out? The article is fabulous.