First attempt at LCHF--am I even doing it right?

Options
Hey all, thanks for letting me join the forum as I have lots of questions!
I've done the Dukan diet before and lost about 9 kgs, which was great but I don't think I want to do that again as it messed with my digestive system due to extreme lack of fiber. It's basically only low-fat protein and then every second day you can have vegetables, but it left me exhausted.
I run and cycle a lot, since October I get up each day at 5:15 and either cycle on my trainer for an hour or go for a run. (Training for a half marathon in April) A lot of runners/cyclists I know prefer to use fat as their primary energy source as you don't have carb crashes, so LCHF is ideal. Unlike them, I don't want to maintain, I need to lose weight!

I don't eat meat anymore, and I'm allergic to whey so I can only eat dairy products with a lot of casein, like hard cheeses. I've been trying to get down to my racing weight and lose 8 kgs for the past 3 months, but despite a calorie deficit of 500 kcal and exercising 5-6 times a week, I am not losing weight at all. I eat a lot of vegetables and whole foods, I already don't eat pasta, bread or sugars.
My last resort is LCHF and a keto diet, as that is the one diet of the millions before it that I have never tried. I've tried low-carb, but never high fat. I haven't had my usual low-carb headache either so I'm worried I'm not doing it right because I gained a kg in the first few days of trying LCHF. :s

I'm also finding it very difficult to stay under the 17g of carbs a day unless I were to give up any and all vegetables, which I can't imagine is healthy either. I checked blogs where other people ate keto cauliflower sushi, for example, but when i enter that into MFP it gives me a really high carb count even if I go by net carbs.
In your experience, is it more a macro/percentage issue or does it really depend on whether you are under/over the 20 g a day? Is there anyone here who doesn't count calories and still had success with LCHF?

Replies

• CoffeeSalty
    CoffeeSalty Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've been doing low carb off and on for years but still not an expert (or else I wouldn't be here lol). There are some who will say keep eating the veggies, some will say you don't really need them. I love veggies, but don't eat a lot. I will sub veggies for fries if eating out and will always opt for veggies (and even fruit) over chips. I would certainly try reducing the veggies and upping the fat and see what happens.

As for counting calories, that's another area that is divided. Some count 20g of carbs and don't worry about calories. Most do, though, and especially as we get older (something I need to watch more).
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I really don't think the carbs from the right veggies really matter so much. As long as you're not going crazy overboard with it. Like eating 50g of carbs at one single meal or something. But, actually, at your activity level, you might be able to do that just fine.
    I'm certainly no expert, but we know it doesn't make sense to have a calorie deficit and not lose weight. Especially when you're so active. I think it's generally accepted too that eating at a calorie deficit stresses the body to some degree as does heavy exercise. Obviously, you're not going to exercise less, but I personally think stress and the resulting cortisol may be the explanation here. It's at least possible.
    What I would try if I were you, is make sure you are eating the right fats and getting anywhere from 50-70% of your calories from them, tinker with that range to find your happy place. Go for coconut oil or even better for your energy boost would be high caprylic acid MCT oil like Brain Octaine or MickeyT's, butter, animal fat, avocado (higher carbs but enough fat so there's not a rush) and olive oil. Then make sure you're getting enough protein for your specific needs. And toy around with the carb goal to find the right fit for you. For most people, under 50g total will easily allow full time ketosis. Typically more active people can have more. How much more depends on you. You just have to experiment.
    If you didn't get any of the symptoms you had before it's probably just because you haven't gotten low on sodium and other electrolytes this time. But if you don't make it a point to keep them up, you will. You need more sodium eating low carb. A lot more. 3000-5000mg a day. Some even feel best higher than those numbers.
    Anyway, from everything you've said, I think you would really like the guidelines in The Wild Diet. It doesn't exactly focus on Keto as the main goal but it is supported and is part of the plan from what I understand of it. It includes a good deal of vegetables but has a big focus on healthy fats and meat. He, Able James, really stresses grass fed meat, but I wouldn't worry as much about that part unless you can afford it and find it easily. I don't think it's what makes his plan work. Maybe it's better... Maybe it's not. But, not likely better as in lose weight faster...

Ultimately I suggest you consider the stress factor as you get more into this. I wouldn't eat at a deficit for at least a few weeks to help reduce stress and make sure you're getting good sleep. You're asking a lot of your body right now. You're willing to supply it good healthy food, now give it enough to do its work. And give it a productive recovery period with a good nights sleep. I don't know that you're not, but think about if that's an area of concern too. Just eat when you're hungry and you'll find the right balance naturally if you're eating the right food.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    You might want to reconsider your reasons for not eating meat (you don't have to justify here or anything, just think about it for yourself). I say this because there is also a chance that you're fighting against what would work best for you. @FIT_Goat is a testament to this one.

As already been mentioned, doing that low of a carb goal is really difficult for a vegetarian, and you might need to increase it some to make it more feasible, and with your activity level, you can probably get away with quite a bit more.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    If you eat things like eggs, it might be easier on you, but I agree with the above. Going to super low level of carbs like that likely will not be necessary for you with your activity levels unless you have major metabolic issues. There's a great deal of info in the stickied "LaunchPad" post, and we seem to have an influx of recent vegetarian and vegan low carbers here.

And a HUGE second on the electrolytes. That "normal low carb headache" is not normal or necessary at all!

Another reason you might have gained a little a first is water retention due to too like sodium (water and sodium, plus magnesium and potassium are a delicate balance - so if you don't give enough sodium, the body will hold onto as much as it can and water, too).... 5000 MG minimum is usually recommended as a target while adapting!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Specify macros.....
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    People who see my nutritionist/doctor have success with marathon running using a variety of diets. One started off vegetarian n found they got too fatigued and was better adding meat to their diet, another had significant blood work improvements when they added more veg to their diet. Thus there is a little play n see what works.

For me, I have the flu and have v low desire to eat. At 600 cals a day for 4 days one would expect the scale to move. Not a bit. I think it is the stress of the flu n my work backing up. Will sort itself out but just illustrating the stress point.

Cheese is my kryptonite. Suggestion: i find it very easy to eat too much or incorrectly enter in mfp (dodgy calories in mfp for macadamias for example). If you are not loosing and think you have weighed n measured all you eat then double check for sneaking snack cheese or nuts and the relevant mfp entry for truth in labeling.