Soda?

Options
emilybeaver
emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
I have had 4 carbs all day. And I want a diet Pepsi.... Can I have one?

Replies

• sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Yes.

You might be better off with a cup of broth, though, or if you really want something cold, a glass of ice water with a splash of lemon juice or lime juice.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    FYI....Dr. Oz just did a show the other day showing how folks that drank diet soda gained more belly fat. Just fyi. :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I had Diet Coke pretty regularly when I first started. Probably a can every other day...
    I've lost my taste for it over time. Now I love LaCroix unsweetened sodas. Thought they were gross back then. Funny how the taste preferences can change.
    Now if I decide to have a Diet Coke, I literally add water to it. lol
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    LOL, why not? As long as you are able to have just one and it doesn't trigger cravings then go for it. You may also like to try a club soda, lots of ice, and mix in some stevia based flavor syrup. I use one called Stur. I like the fruit punch flavor. That way you can control how much you add. I use two squirts to one glass of club soda. The flavoring is very light but still gives me some nice taste that isn't just plain water.
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    Well considering I'm at work and have none of those options. Haha. I normally don't like soda but I want something bubbly.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'm drinking a diet coke right now. I have one every once in a while when stress gets to me. Better a can of diet coke then the contents of the office candy jar.
  • eatsyork
    eatsyork Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Lots of people claim diet soda will stall them or give them cravings. My personal experience is that I handle it well. I drink a lot of coke zero (like one a day at least, sometimes several) and I lost 102 lbs eating LCHF and bp/cholesterol/blood glucose etc. all improved just fine with no cravings. If it works for you, go for it. If it causes you problems, stop drinking it. I'm sure water is a better option, but I like to balance the best option with enjoying life sometimes.
  • hakamruth
    hakamruth Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Probably not good for many other health reasons, especially since it really is not a natural whole food. But I love to indulge and have a diet coke every once in awhile especially after eating something spicy! Something about the sweetness and the bubbly just finishes a meal. I say enjoy, but don't go crazy. Real food is always the best for your body.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    It's zero carb!

If you're craving it, go for it. I have diet soda occasionally, but do like to limit artificial sweeteners for the most part.
  • dietbepsi
    dietbepsi Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed with flavored seltzer water. (Especially in a beautiful wine glass) not sweet, smells amazing...and oh so bubbly
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    dietbepsi wrote: »
    I'm obsessed with flavored seltzer water. (Especially in a beautiful wine glass) not sweet, smells amazing...and oh so bubbly

Oooooh. That does make it more special! Love it!
  • petunia773
    petunia773 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I have at least two bottles of Diet Pepsi a day.
  • lowjax75
    lowjax75 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    No diet soda for me. I do have seltzer water or other bubbly water, but that's it for carbonation. Mostly stick to tea and water. I do find that diet soda starts my carb cravings. I'm in such a good place with zero interest for sugars or carbs, I don't want to risk it with anything with fake sugars or sugar substitutes like Stevia. I've come to enjoy most things with just the savory taste.
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    I don't know if it was a coincidence or not but I felt awful after I drank that. Too much carbonation and stuff. I'll skip soda for awhile.
  • no_day_but_2day
    no_day_but_2day Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of sparkling water when I get a craving. I'll open up a can of dt. coke but I have 2 sips and throw it out every time. IT's just too sweet for me now. I do however get random huge cravings for a Quick Trip Dt. Dr. Pepper sometimes (it's a gas station where I live) but it's rare.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    I'm a big fan of sparkling water when I get a craving. I'll open up a can of dt. coke but I have 2 sips and throw it out every time. IT's just too sweet for me now. I do however get random huge cravings for a Quick Trip Dt. Dr. Pepper sometimes (it's a gas station where I live) but it's rare.

I bet you would like LaCroix. Same idea but no sweetener is added. None at all. I love it!
  • baykay1010
    baykay1010 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I bet you would like LaCroix. Same idea but no sweetener is added. None at all. I love it!

I love the LaCroix!! I have (Mostly) cut sodas out of my diet and those are my go to for when i need something that isn't water (I don't like tea so that really limits my water alternatives!!)
  • HollandOats
    HollandOats Posts: 202 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I just happened across this tidbit while researching magnesium needs - thought I'd share:

Most dark colored sodas contain phosphates. These substances actually bind with magnesium inside the digestive tract, rendering it unavailable to the body. So even if you are eating a balanced diet, by drinking soda with your meals you are flushing magnesium out of your system.

That said - if you drink a diet cola every now and then, make sure you're getting your magnesium supplements in on the reggy.

ETA: This goes for tea and coffee drinkers too.

ETA2: Ugh, and if you drink 7 or more alcoholic beverages a week, and if you take birth control... you know what, just take your mag supplements no matter what. lol
  • RobinK228
    RobinK228 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Diet soda for me is a trigger that makes me want to drink a six pack, lol. I usually stick to water but have a Sparkling Ice, usually once a day. It's fuzzy and super sweet and doesn't make me want to swim in Coke. With that being said, I think it's totally a personal choice. Some people don't consume artificial sweeteners and some do and each have their reasons for doing so. So try a diet soda, see how your body reacts. :smiley:
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    So my girlfriends want to have wine tonight...how many carbs are in wine or what is another alternative I can drink?