What do you do for exercise?

Options
I am a random and terribly inconsistent exerciser, but would like to get into a regular routine. Would love to know what folks on this forum are currently into for exercise.

When I do exercise I often head to YouTube (huge selection of free videos). Also I go for a 1-2 mile walk when the weather allows, my dog loves this!

I have been thinking about signing up for the 30-day free trial of Daily Burn to see if I like it. Which would be much less $ than a gym membership, and cheaper than the yoga studio I sometimes go to ($11/class!). I also have some random Jillian Michaels and Tracy Anderson DVDs. Looking for ideas as I would very much like to try something new, and get into a regular routine.

Thanks in advance for sharing!

Replies

• anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with exercise lately. I have RA and rarely feel like doing anything after work. When the weather is nice (and sometimes not so nice) I try to hike at least twice a week and also take my dog out walking. He's elderly so he can't handle a very long walk anymore sadly. I also try to do a couple online Barre3 videos in the evenings. I used to do various lifting routines but my joints won't allow me to right now.
  • ShootingStar72
    ShootingStar72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have heard of Barre, but have never tried it. Definately going to look that up! Hiking is so nice. I'm planning a hike on Saturday with the family :)
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I do crossfit, but that is not for everybody as there are many detractors. However, it works for me and a bunch of other people. It's expensive though. (Worst part IMO)

As far as free or inexpensive stuff, there are a lot of apps out there. I have Android and there are a lot of apps for that which are compatible with Chromecast. "Fitnet" is one that comes to mind. I also do the YouTube vids with my wife sometimes.

I guess it all depends on what you want out of your work out and what fits your personality type. If you like solitude and you want something which will help you lose weight faster, it might be best to get on an elliptical with some headphones and stroll on out. If you like comraderie and interaction with people, maybe some type of course. The most important thing in my opinion is that you pick something you enjoy and will have no problem convincing yourself to do.
  • baykay1010
    baykay1010 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm on an exercise hiatus other than making my fitbit daily goals (I intend to get back to it but I'm making small changes)

However, if you are wanting a routine, it definintely needs to be something you enjoy that you won't have a problem doing. If that's a video, be sure you wn't get bored of it after a few tries!

If it's socialization/making friends with people who have similar interests, obviously classes or a gym membership is the way to go! Whatever you do, it has to work for you! I'm focusing right now on the things that bring me joy! I'm hoping one day exercise will fall in that category and not be such a chore!
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I am a random and terribly inconsistent exerciser, but would like to get into a regular routine. Would love to know what folks on this forum are currently into for exercise.

I was the same, so I consciously lowered the barriers.

Running. Put your shoes on and run. It doesn't get easier than that. How to stay motivated? Train for a specific event, like a 5K. Sign up with your friends. I did that a year ago, and I haven't stopped running since.

Bodyweight. Anywhere, anytime. I even do squats in the shower. (Sorry for the mental imagery. :)) I started just with regular push ups and squats, and then added variety (yeah, even handstand push ups). I installed gymnast rings and a pull up bar on my kid's swing set.

Knock down those barriers. Keep at it for at least a couple months. It'l become a habit, just like low carb. :)
  • ShootingStar72
    Options
    Good advice @moe0303! So glad you like crossfit, I've heard wonderful things about it. I have considered it but the cost and committment are not practicable at the moment, but maybe someday.

I do like group classes and may join a gym again, once I have a bit of extra cash (when my car is paid off this fall).

I'll check out fitnet, thanks for the idea!
  • ShootingStar72
    Options
    @wabmester. Too funny! I do squats when cooking! And when at the office I'll do squats in the restroom, few women in my office building so the restroom is usually empty :) . Good advice about body weights and push-ups. Yes, I need to get into a routine and do them consistently.

I used to run when in my 20's and I really miss it. With 2 bad knees now it is out of the question. I am a fast walker though! We have some fun run/walk events in my community that come up on a regular basis that I should look into.

Forming a consistent exercise habit has always been a challenge for me, I will go strong for a few months then something comes up and I get out of a routine. I have been LC since August though so do I have it in me!
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Good advice @moe0303! So glad you like crossfit, I've heard wonderful things about it. I have considered it but the cost and committment are not practicable at the moment, but maybe someday.

I do like group classes and may join a gym again, once I have a bit of extra cash (when my car is paid off this fall).

I'll check out fitnet, thanks for the idea!

I really like fitnet. It uses feedback from your device's camera to grade you on how active you are. In other words, if you take a break when you are supposed to be moving, the app notices and the little activity meter will go down.

There are a lot of bodyweight crossfit movements which you can do and there are also apps which will give you a Workout of the Day (WOD) at random. I use one called "WOD Generator" sometimes. It has a setting for bodyweight and travel which should be easy to do at home with minimal equipment. Here is a sample workout it assigned me just now:

14 minute EMOM
    (EMOM = Every Minute On the Minute, set a timer and at the start of every minute, do the exercises. You should be able to finish the exercises and rest a little before the start of the next minute)

5 push-ups
    3 Burpees
    15 Meter Bear crawl

• Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I really enjoy variety in my workout. I also work out a lot... 6 days a week! Here's a general summary:

-Work out with personal trainer (strength training / weights) or solo in the AM 4x per week, x90min workout
    -2x per week moderate intensity cardio x1hr (MMA, Zumba, etc - varies)
    -Low intensity cardio (primarily yoga) 2x per week in the evenings
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I kind of hate exercising just for the sake of exercising, but I love to get out in the fresh air and sunlight and enjoy nature. This time of year, I'm going snowshoeing for 30-90min+ per day, then the rest of my "exercise" consists of just my daily farm chores, and to a lesser extent my household chores.

On occasion my husband talks me into lifting weights with him in a 5x5 format, which kind of bores me to death. If I have to stay inside to workout, I would always rather do a cross-fit type workout to get it done within 15minutes.

My go-to crossfit workouts are usually something like:

21-15-9 of each thrusters and burpees

or

as many reps as possible in 15minutes of

5 burpees
    10 sit ups
    15 swings
    (repeat)

Just whatever mixes up squats, pushups, sit ups, swings, burpees, thrusters, lots of body weight exercises when I'm too lazy to mess around wtih the dumbbells, etc, and some lifts if my hubby is around to make sure I don't get into trouble.

• macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I like running but I know HIIT and strength are better for me so I've been trying to do those. I have a knack for injuring myself though so I've been mostly off for 2 weeks.
    I'm also trying to do more yoga/stretching now.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Walking, lots and lots of walking.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I will ride my bicycle when I feel up to it, but when I do it's not a flat surface ride and makes my legs sore for a few days. I walk, and I've been building up my core strength working at a planking challenge thread here in this group. Results are slow, but have been great so far! I actually feel like exercising now like I never have before!
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    Options
    I work with a personal trainer 2x a week with cardio in the pool and walking thrown in. I do this for fitness and muscle maintenance. Weight loss begins and ends in the kitchen cause we can't out exercise a bad diet!
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I workout at home ....with various dvd's right now my favorite is hip hop abs with shaun T ......I have a total gym that I use and I also do kettlebells ( I bought myself the kettlebellworX from Amazon for my bday in Dec.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Walking the dog (try to beat prior speed and add more distance). Cycling with dog (her top speed is 30kmph and she loves to run). Eliptical trainer (dog supervises). Weights and Nike fit app for some variety to routine, Yoga for stretch n relax. Latter 2 are sans dog as she thinks it just means cuddles and her idea of where she can fit is very funny at first but then frustrating when I can't do the down of the pushup for a doggie nose n shoulder blocking the way!!
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I usually try to just fit 25 minutes at the gym on my work lunch break in this less than stellar weather. My fave is just running, going on the stepper or the erg/rower.

The Erg is probably my fave because it's not just cardiovascular, but you can really feel it in the rear/thighs, arms, and abs. It's a full body workout. Very efficient!

In nice weather, I can go running outside in the morning before kiddo wakes or at night after she's in bed. I like jogging to the nearest high school track and retro jogging.

Retro walking/jogging is AWESOME! You look crazy, but I figure millions of ajummas can't be wrong.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I totally stink at consistent exercise! I'm just like you described, do a little of this and that but don't continue too long. I'm a couple days overdue right now on keeping up with my latest attempt at using the weight machines at my gym.
    And I was doing the planking with @auntstephie321 and the others on most of my off days... But... Uh... Yeah... Kinda quit everything for a few too many days now.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about this the other day. Specifically in terms of my aversion to weight lifting. Let's see. All I need to do is eat at a caloric excess, consume massive quantities of protein, alternate upper and lower body, alternate push and pull, and progressively increase the load and time under tension, right?

Yeah, right. Oh, and there's always the thrill of lifting till failure. Which basically means going past that uncomfortable level of fatigue and pushing until you're in total panic. Who wouldn't be motivated to do that? :)

Find something you like to do. It helps me to do something that gives me constant feedback that I'm improving. Running (speed and distance metrics) and bodyweight (strength and endurance metrics) both give me that immediate feedback I crave.
  • hakamruth
    hakamruth Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I mostly walk, between 30-120 minutes a day depending on my schedule for the day. Rather than listening to music I put either sermons, lectures or an audio book on my MP3 player and away I go. I have a lot of workout videos. My favorites are by beachbody.com. It is not so much the workout themselves as how they structure the time. Rather than showing how much time has elapsed, they show how much time is left until the end of the workout. They even have a breakdown by segment. So you look at the time and see there is 1 minute left and you say to yourself I can do it for 1 more minute. Beachbody has a lot of variety of exercise, so you can find one that fits you.
    Although my favorite was when I used to do ballroom dancing. So much fun! Alias, it is too much money and can't convince my husband to do it with me. He has a natural rhythm but does not like to dance.