"trashy" fats

Options
moe0303
moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
I saw someone in another group mention avoiding trasy fats in relation to a high fat diet. I do not currently discriminate. Should I be?

I just wanted to get your guys' opinions.

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    What did they consider trashy fats?

I am very discriminating when it comes to my fats. I prefer animal fats only. I avoid plant oils whenever possible. Eating out, it can be hard to be sure I am not getting some vegetable fats. Sometimes, I will use mayo or a commercial dressing. Those will have vegetable oils also.
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    The only "trashy" fats I'm aware of are the partially hydrogenated ones and maybe polyunsaturated fats in excess.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Trashy fat would be the fat we excrete, I guess?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steatorrhea

Yeah, I would definitely avoid that stuff. :)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    @wabmester! Lol!!

Other than trashy vegetable oils, I haven't found any other trashy fats!

It's best to avoid comments on those types of threads, imo!
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Fat metabolism really appears to be a hugely complex and confusing topic. The SFA and PUFA fears seem to be cyclical. A few years ago, it was PUFA good and SFA bad, this year maybe it's SFA good and PUFA bad. Eventually they'll figure out it's all about quantity. :)

A good book on just the PUFA's is The Queen of Fats.

And here's a pretty good reference being assembled by an intrepid googler:
    https://wiki.xtronics.com/index.php/Health_effects_of_different_fatty_acids
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I avoid soybean oil, canola oil, and corn oil ... for fats I stick with animal fats, ghee, coconut oil, and avocado oil. I hear good things about macadamia nut oil but it's too spendy for me.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody for your input.
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    What did they consider trashy fats?

I am very discriminating when it comes to my fats. I prefer animal fats only. I avoid plant oils whenever possible. Eating out, it can be hard to be sure I am not getting some vegetable fats. Sometimes, I will use mayo or a commercial dressing. Those will have vegetable oils also.

I think they were promoting using nuts and seeds mostly for fats.

Why do you prefer animal fats only...curious.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I avoid polyunsaturated fats, which is most vegetable fats except olive oil and a few others. @moe0303 it's because most vegetable fats are high in omega-6, and are thought to promote inflammation. Still, I try to reduce my saturated fat intake by using monounsaturated fats whenever it's feasible, i.e. olive oil, and high oleic sunflower oil. (Not trying to speak for Fit Goat - those were my reasons for avoiding vegetable fats).