Introduction and maybe some help??

Options
hi friends! In a nutshell, I lost about 46 pounds at the end of 2014-2015. Exercising, eating well, sleeping great. Then around Thanksgiving I started to slip. I allowed myself to eat things I KNOW are triggers and would binge like crazy. For the first few months, not much happened, weight wise. Then.... It caught up with me and I've gained back almost 20. I am a nighttime eater / binger. I think this is because I drink coffee (NOT an option to give up!! I LOVE coffee) during the morning and have a set exercise routine, so when the caffeine wears off, I'm hungry and totally go overboard. All of that said, I'm almost 2 weeks back on track and I feel like I'm still "white knuckling" it! I can't remember from the first go round how long this crappy feeling lasts? I have gone to an OA group, etc.... Thought since I'm using MFP anyway, I might use the discussion tool as well. Thank you for reading!

Replies

• debbiesteinman
    debbiesteinman Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi Whitney great job on catching yourself. The weight loss battle is a constant mind battle. Trying to keep the mindset of NEDS vs WANTS -- to feed my body so it stays healthy vs eating sweet & salty foods that cause inflammation and mood swings. I have been on a 40- 45 pound weight loss journey for two years now. I gained the 40 pounds after quitting smoking. I was an anxious emotional wreck with quitting smoking and ate my way to getting off cigarettes. I started MFP and Goodlife Fitness about 15 months ago and have lost 24 pounds. I injured my sternal cartilage at Goodlife doing tricep dips and now have to desist weight training and exercise as it only causes pain. Doctor said it may take two months till it gets better. I hit a plateau now and need to stay motivated to work even harder to lose the rest. It is cold up here in Canada and I look forward to the Spring when I can just go out for a walk to get my mind off of food anytime. Boredom is one thing that sets me off on an eating binge. I did buy some multigrain Life cereal and have been just grabbing a handful to satisfy that gnawing in my stomach and then I go for a quick walk around the block even in the cold. I wish you the best of luck with your battle for the last pounds. We just need to keep taking it one day at a time.
  • psychodr1
    psychodr1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi Whitney. We all slip. And for me, when I slip for awhile, it is extremely hard to get back on my eating plan. So I know how you are feeling. But you have done well for two weeks. It seems like two to three weeks for me has been the time when I started getting used to the plan. But some days are harder than others. I have lost 86 pounds over the last 2 1/2 years but have a long road ahead of me with a lot more to lose. We just can't give up. Keep trying.
  • whitneyann2014
    whitneyann2014 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Whitney great job on catching yourself. The weight loss battle is a constant mind battle. Trying to keep the mindset of NEDS vs WANTS -- to feed my body so it stays healthy vs eating sweet & salty foods that cause inflammation and mood swings. I have been on a 40- 45 pound weight loss journey for two years now. I gained the 40 pounds after quitting smoking. I was an anxious emotional wreck with quitting smoking and ate my way to getting off cigarettes. I started MFP and Goodlife Fitness about 15 months ago and have lost 24 pounds. I injured my sternal cartilage at Goodlife doing tricep dips and now have to desist weight training and exercise as it only causes pain. Doctor said it may take two months till it gets better. I hit a plateau now and need to stay motivated to work even harder to lose the rest. It is cold up here in Canada and I look forward to the Spring when I can just go out for a walk to get my mind off of food anytime. Boredom is one thing that sets me off on an eating binge. I did buy some multigrain Life cereal and have been just grabbing a handful to satisfy that gnawing in my stomach and then I go for a quick walk around the block even in the cold. I wish you the best of luck with your battle for the last pounds. We just need to keep taking it one day at a time.

Thank you!!! I hope you heal soon!,
  • whitneyann2014
    whitneyann2014 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    psychodr1 wrote: »
    Hi Whitney. We all slip. And for me, when I slip for awhile, it is extremely hard to get back on my eating plan. So I know how you are feeling. But you have done well for two weeks. It seems like two to three weeks for me has been the time when I started getting used to the plan. But some days are harder than others. I have lost 86 pounds over the last 2 1/2 years but have a long road ahead of me with a lot more to lose. We just can't give up. Keep trying.

Amazing job! You're exactly right! Don't. Give. Up! Thank you!!!
  • katnoir1
    katnoir1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I know it goes against all the stuff you see in the media, but something I find that helps me is carb-loading later in the day. I try and get in a decent portion of carbs at lunch and dinner, followed up with a carb snack like fruit or air-popped popcorn. I still get taste cravings, but I find they're less intense when I've had some carbs and I can at least appreciate that my stomach feels full, so the craving is all in my head.