Dumbbell single-arm overhead squat question...

Options
dixoncrew
dixoncrew Posts: 186 Member
What are your weights on this? I tried it with 20 and 10 and it was killing my lower back (which already hurt but it just made it worse). I tried it with 10 and 5 and I still can't seem to get the form right. I smack myself in the leg with the lower dumbbell when I'm squatting and I can't keep the upper dumbbell from swinging forward. Maybe I'm just special.

Replies

• MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    These are much harder than they look! Keep trying with the 10 and 5. I can do a 25 up and a 35 down now (after finishing all of NROLW and in the 4th BT Stage of Supercharged), but they are HARD!

One thing that helps for all of the overhead squats is to widen your stance a little bit and turn your toes out, like you're doing a plie in ballet. Try to keep your arm holding the bottom weight relaxed and in the center of your squat. Then, just focus on not tipping over backwards.
  • dixoncrew
    dixoncrew Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll try that!
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    You could always try with no weight in the "up" hand. Focus on form first, you'll move up in time!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Also, hold your "up" hand with your palm facing forward. That helps as well.
  • tammymusic1
    tammymusic1 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I tired with 5 10 as well I was alright when it was in my right hand but the left was hard for me and my back was hurting too will try widening my stance
  • abenardini
    abenardini Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I was having the same issues! I will definitely be trying these tips out tomorrow. Thank you!
  • ADayAtATime4Me
    ADayAtATime4Me Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is by no means a total replacement; but that said, it has some interesting merits and suggestions. I am currently doing these variations as a result of a shoulder injury whereby I am completely forbidden doing any overhead lifts.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_truth_about_overhead_pressing

Just my two cents.

Cheers,

T