fiber

Options
PPumpItUp
PPumpItUp Posts: 208 Member
I am trying to take in 2600 calories a day with only 30g of carbs. It is impossible for me to take in enough fiber to meet daily fiber recommendations. The most fiber dense food I have found is psyllium husk with a 1:1 carb/fiber ratio. Does anyone know if anything more potent?

Replies

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Wild Apricot Kernels (Sweet): 0.7 ounce serving (1 serving) = 1g carb, 3g fiber. They are an acquired taste as they can be a bit bitter so if you do get/try them, make sure you get the "sweet" kind. This is where I get mine (I use them in a low carb granola recipe):

https://nuts.com/driedfruit/apricots/kernels.html

Some other sources of 1:1 carbs to fiber ratio items are: avocado, chia seeds, sacha inchi (technically a "seed" although it's a large seed and often referred to as the "south american peanut"), and pilli nuts. You can get all of the seeds and nuts I mentioned from the same website I included a link to for you above.

Also blackberries: one 3 ounce serving = 6g carbs, 11g fiber (because of the seeds). They are obviously higher in carb and sugar content than some foods; however, I prefer them over most other berries because of the fiber content alone, not to mention the fact that they taste darned good! Hope this info helps.
  • PPumpItUp
    Options
    Thanks. I'll try out the wild apricot
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Just so you know, the daily fiber recommendation may or may not work for you. I consume no fiber, because I found that the more I ate the worse my digestion got (both with gas and constipation--among other issues). If you're not experiencing problems, you might not want to push the issue. Eating high fat is often enough to keep things moving along even without fiber.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    There is no daily requirement for fiber. The insoluble forms will just cause bloating and constipation. The soluble forms, like Inulin, are ok, as they feed your probiotics.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    What daily recommendations of fiber are you going by, and why are you going by them?
  • PPumpItUp
    Options
  • PPumpItUp
    Options
    This is one of the reasons why.
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/10/151030111740.htm

It also shown to reduce chances of diabetes, some forms of cancer and heart disease.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    PPumpItUp wrote: »
    This is one of the reasons why.
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/10/151030111740.htm

It also shown to reduce chances of diabetes, some forms of cancer and heart disease.

Mouse study. That alone is enough for me to move right along. Most of these are poorly designed and mouse chow is almost never low-carb in the same way that keto is.

But, let's not dismiss it out of hand. Let's look at it (http://ajpgi.physiology.org/content/309/7/G528 is the actual study). Look at the specifics for the rat chow. Only three versions (out of 13) have less than 60% carbs as the basis of them. Is that a useful macronutrient breakdown in a study for people on a ketogenic diet? It might relate some information to people on the Standard American Diet, or people trying a low-fat diet. Most of the oils used for fat sources in the rat diets are themselves inflammatory. Maybe fiber helps reduce the inflammation and damage from consuming these plant oils. Maybe it would be even better to not consume the oils in the first place.

Here's a good start for looking into fiber. It addresses all of the points (diabetes, cancer, heart disease) you mentioned.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/1lolqu/end_the_fiber_fantasy_everything_you_dont_want_to/

It has been shown to lower blood sugar, but only because it slows the rate at which the carbs are being absorbed by the body. Remove the carbs and you've removed the benefit of the fiber. In fact, fiber tends to do little more than mitigate the damage from eating carbs. My best example of this would be if people who smoke filtered cigarettes had better health than those smoking unfiltered cigarettes and we came to the conclusion that everyone should smoke filtered cigarettes--instead of the best solution of no one smoking at all.

If you still want to get around 30 grams of fiber a day, you will just have to count net carbs. Remember, you can subtract fiber from total carbs (using the US nutrition labels). So, psyllium husks would be nearly 0g after the fiber is subtracted out. You will never find a carb that has more fiber than carbs, because fiber is considered a carb.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    If you still want to get around 30 grams of fiber a day, you will just have to count net carbs. Remember, you can subtract fiber from total carbs (using the US nutrition labels). So, psyllium husks would be nearly 0g after the fiber is subtracted out. You will never find a carb that has more fiber than carbs, because fiber is considered a carb.

This ... you should be tracking net carbs, not total. Your net needs to be below your goal range ..
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmm.....
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    For myself, I found that trying to maintain the level of fiber I was getting under the guidelines was difficult and pointless. I still take some fiber in the form of Psyllium capsules. I guess that is just because I feel more comfortable with at least 1 bm per day. I rarely think about my fiber intake anymore.
  • ladipoet
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    Also blackberries: one 3 ounce serving = 6g carbs, 11g fiber (because of the seeds). They are obviously higher in carb and sugar content than some foods; however, I prefer them over most other berries because of the fiber content alone, not to mention the fact that they taste darned good! Hope this info helps.

My apologies, OP. It seems I inadvertently gave you some incorrect info re the fiber in Blackberries. I was basing the info on the nutritional data of a bo I scanned. I have since learned that it was incorrect. Blackberries do have SOME fiber in them, but they have more carbs than fiber. The rest of the info in my original comment above stands.
  • ladipoet
    Options
    box
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

My diet is the furthest thing from high fat and high sugar, so whatever arguments are made FOR fiber helping hunger control is fundamentally flawed. High fats alone help me with hunger control and cravings...

I avoid fiber like the plague because for me, it GUMS UP THE WORKS. Fats are the natural lubricant to the entire process.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

My diet is the furthest thing from high fat and high sugar, so whatever arguments are made FOR fiber helping hunger control is fundamentally flawed. High fats alone help me with hunger control and cravings...

Pretty much exactly this. A study that proves filtered cigarettes cause less lung cancer than unfiltered cigarettes doesn't support the idea that everyone should smoke filtered cigarettes. Fiber helps mitigate the damage from processed carbs and sugar. It is harm reduction. It is not harm prevention. Remove the carbs, and you no longer need to take the medicine to reduce the damage they are doing.
  • ladipoet
    Options
    A study that proves filtered cigarettes cause less lung cancer than unfiltered cigarettes doesn't support the idea that everyone should smoke filtered cigarettes. Fiber helps mitigate the damage from processed carbs and sugar. It is harm reduction. It is not harm prevention. Remove the carbs, and you no longer need to take the medicine to reduce the damage they are doing.

Oh well said...and I quite like the analogy you used too!

• kimbo8435
    kimbo8435 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    A study that proves filtered cigarettes cause less lung cancer than unfiltered cigarettes doesn't support the idea that everyone should smoke filtered cigarettes. Fiber helps mitigate the damage from processed carbs and sugar. It is harm reduction. It is not harm prevention. Remove the carbs, and you no longer need to take the medicine to reduce the damage they are doing.

Oh well said...and I quite like the analogy you used too!

^So this!
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I aim for 25-30g fiber daily and hit that easily now that I've added a serving of Fiber One cereal to my morning. I also eat almonds and avodado. My net carbs are in the 30s, though I can go as high as 60s net and stay in keto. Why do I like fiber? To help keep my cholesterol in check and scrape the intestinal tract, amongst other things. Once starting keto, my fats and cholesterol got out of whack and so did my blood pressure (the BP likely also being from BCP, which I am now no longer on). It doesn't hurt anything, and for some reason I like the idea that I am doing my part to reduce heart disease and stroke risk. I guess I'm funny like that.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    hazleyes81 wrote: »
    Why do I like fiber? To help keep my cholesterol in check and scrape the intestinal tract, amongst other things. Once starting keto, my fats and cholesterol got out of whack and so did my blood pressure (the BP likely also being from BCP, which I am now no longer on). It doesn't hurt anything, and for some reason I like the idea that I am doing my part to reduce heart disease and stroke risk. I guess I'm funny like that.

The Lipid Hypothesis is something that is highly debated and likely wrong. That hypothesis being that cholesterol is the cause of heart disease. There are many parts of the current hypothesis, and likely all of them are wrong.

There is the belief that blood cholesterol is highly effected by the fats we eat. This is untrue except in the case of hyper-responders. Typically, the change is about 10%.

There is the belief that high blood cholesterol is the cause of heart disease. Yet, 75% of those reporting to the emergency room for a cardiac event have normal cholesterol (http://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/majority-of-hospitalized-heart-75668). Actually, the best indicator mentioned in that study wasn't high cholesterol, it was low HDL. More than half those reporting with an event had low HDL cholesterol. This is the stuff we can raise with saturated fats. You know, those fats we are supposed to avoid. I love that link, because it presumes that the solution must be even lower LDL targets. It doesn't admit the cholesterol might not be the problem at all. In other studies, (Framingham Heart Study for example) we find that those with high cholesterol have the lowest mortality rates. In fact, if you combine a sample of many studies that track all-cause mortality with cholesterol, it seems that numbers between 200 and 240 provide the lowest overall risk of death.

Cholesterol may very well be elevated because something else is wrong. You find a lot of firefighters at burning buildings. But, you don't stop fires by reducing the amount of firefighters.

In the same respect, there is a belief that lowering cholesterol (either through diet or medicines) reduces your risk that having high cholesterol is said to imply. But, if we're only treating the symptom, you're making the problem worse. You're masking the problem so you don't see it anymore.

While it is possible that you are a hyper-responder to dietary fat, it's unlikely. When you say things got out of whack, what sort of numbers are we talking. And, what were your HDL and triglyceride numbers. Those are more important than anything else.