Menu Help

Options
Hi all,

I am going out to dinner for my best friend's birthday tonight and I am having a bit of trouble with the menu. This is my first time dining here, and I am unsure of what to get.

Warning: I live in Vancouver and a lot of restaurants are pretentious AF.

http://www.saiwoo.ca/ is the website. But essentially, it is hipster Asian food.

What would be some good options for me?

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I can't get there menu to open on my phone :( sorry I'm no help
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    6x25ymnm4a5s.jpeg

I took a picture of the menu on my computer lol
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Maybe the park belly. But I don't know what taro purée and taro chip is. Lol
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    There is a bunch of stuff that could work. Short ribs, chicken drumettes, pork belly.

Just ask them about sugary sauces and either get them on the side or ask to leave out. The almonds sound interesting too.

I generally try to avoid Asian restos due to heavy use of carbs. Another good strategy is to eat before you go and then just order something very small. I've done that. The most important thing is to go and to enjoy the company. Food shouldn't be the main focus.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ Taro is an Asian root vegetable. I mean, I can always ask them to take it out. Other than that, the Pork Belly does sound nice. Either that, or the Beef Short Rib.

Maybe I will split something with a friend or give them my carbs.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Ribs, or fish, without potatoes, or sauces. I'm not su r what the rest of that stuff is! :blush: good luck!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I think I will take the advice of @daylitemag and eat something before I go and then order something small.

Just started getting more involved in this community and I really appreciate the support that is shown to all!
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I'd say pork belly sounds delicious, skip the taro. Looks like an interesting place, have fun!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    Options
    It turned out to be a set menu with no substitutions. And no pork belly on the menu. My boyfriend is eating my carbs.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    It turned out to be a set menu with no substitutions. And no pork belly on the menu. My boyfriend is eating my carbs.

Good job staying on track even though you were caught off guard, despite your best efforts to plan :smile:
  • sammyliftsandeats
    Options
    @PaleoInScotland thanks! I had the fish and green veggies. It was delicious but because we were such a large party, the staff was really hardcore about no changes.
    My time of the month surprised me this AM so I am really happy I chose to stay on track, fighting the urges to eat the stuff I know will only have me in fetal position by the end of the night.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Hi @samantha, increasing your foods that are on plan will help you through the TOM cravings! It's only a couple of days, and they tend to even out with the non hungry days! Try not to be too concerned about calories on those days! You did great at the restaurant, imo! We all face these challenges some times, and you did very well! Hang in there!