Saturday, February 20, 2016

Options

Replies

• PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Sherry & Marla I'm happy to read you both had better days yesterday!

Sherry the gym is a great idea. When I had my leg injury last summer being able to go to the gym & at least strength train helped keep me sane, even if it wasn't everything I wanted to be able to do.

Yesterday was my rest day, and I needed it. I woke up with a headache that kept getting worse. I finally left work at 12:30, came home, took one of my migraine pills, and took a nap. That took the edge off. Spent the rest of the afternoon reading & resting.

Thursday & Friday I went over on calories. Thursday it was by a lot. I've always eaten TDEE and I need to think about trying the MFP system of eating more on my exercise days. Monday & Tuesday I had way too much of a deficit, Wednesday was good, and Thursday I was really hungry all day. Jason bringing up the topic of nutrition around my longer runs reminds me I'm kind of a delayed reaction person, so even though I had a good calorie ratio on Wednesday, the too-low intake Mon & Tues caught up with me Thurs.

6 mile run on the schedule today. I'm going to take in the carb & protein ratio after my run that Jason wants me to & will see how that goes.
  • agingwithfitness
    agingwithfitness Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday! Finally got a few hours of sun here and going to a new beach in Samoa lagoon area near Eureka.

Feel pretty good today. Last night didn't sleep well had sinus pain on face and head, took long hot shower (we have 25% rationing of water here so taking long showers adds guilt, lol) guess it helped as I don't feel any pain today.

I ate better Thursday but yesterday was too much sugar, my downfall...I want to be able to quit it but its hard.

I am feeling more hopeful though today, maybe the sun stuff and depression is true as I notice I do feel better on sunny days.

• FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Marla, glad you're beating the sinus thing, one day at a time and that you got some sun.
    Laura, I've done tdee and mfp way, and there's definitely use for each way, depending on activity level variability and mental gymnastics (I've been counting calories for so long--decades--that I can subconsciously outsmart myself and end up on the losing side of CICO without even consciously giving it a thought). Good luck getting the kinks worked out.

Today, like a miracle, leg feels better, although I didn't go too much of anywhere, just to kid activities and some shopping. I've been extra careful and am not about to wear different shoes again! In other news, I feel like I've been fairly good with my calories but not feeling particularly thinner. T.o.m. just checked out, so I'll give it a few more days before I weigh. Maybe I'm just getting impatient, as I often do. When I get like this, I just want to start running six miles per day, to get things going again, but of course I can't...and that feeling of powerlessness is not good and I have to be very careful that I don't do something stupid like starve+binge. I just keep thinking: join the gym next week, be cool til then!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Starve-binge is such an easy trap for me to fall into too.

My run was slow, but felt good. Legs were a little tired right at the end but I was breathing comfortably. Between my pre-run gel, during run chews & electrolyte tablet in my water, and after-run carb/protein foods, I took in 750 calories. I burned 800. According to Jason though the point of this is strategic timing with those calories. The biggest calories are after and that won't increase as my runs get longer (he has me doing this amount for 6+ miles & it's based on my weight so hopefully that drops a little) but calories during the run at some point will increase. I finished my after-run snack right around 12:15, which is when I'd typically eat lunch. Decided to play it by ear. At 3:00 I was hungry (really hungry) so I made lunch. Decided I needed quality calories at that point. I have wild rice pilaf in the crockpot that should be ready around 7:00 so I'll skip my usual afternoon snack & eat dinner at 7:00. I pre-logged it and I'm still under by MFP rules.
  • agingwithfitness
    agingwithfitness Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    The beach at end of peninsula was long and cool looking, at the tip you could see bay on one side and ocean on the other. We went for long walk on beach then came back by road that overlooks bay. Went 10,000 steps which for me is good.

I was thinking during walk I am going to no matter what I eat put in down here for one week. I haven't done the entering foods here in a long time.

If anyone wants to join me for a week to see if it helps food wise, I am going to start Monday for a week, see how it goes.