Keto + strength training + calorie deficit (newbie question)

First off.. I'm going to go ahead and admit I'm embarrassed to not be able to wrap my head around this. I've never really been into physical fitness, though there were a couple of spells in my younger days where I at least attempted the gym for brief stints.

I've been on keto for about 7.5 months, and am down just shy of 70 lbs. I'm getting really soft and saggy arms, my belly is really bad (I have 2 toddlers though, so that doesn't bother me as much - I expect it from my stomach) and my inner thighs are getting saggy.

From everything I'm reading, I really ought to start some strength training, but I'm also consistently reading that I need to be in a calorie suplus to build muscle. I still want to lose 40 lbs, so I am not interested in switching to a surplus right now.

Am I wasting my time starting a strength training routine, then? It's not that I want to bulk exactly, I want to firm - but is that not one in the same? Will I basically not see any results?

THANKS!

Erin

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited February 2016
    Well, it isn't completely true that you need to be in a calorie surplus to put on muscle. This is especially true for people who are not already well trained. When you start training, your body will put on muscle and get stronger fairly easily at first. These are rudely referred to as "newb-gains" by some people. You'll get these gains while still losing fat, as long as you're getting adequate protein and putting your muscles under enough stress. The gains will be slower than if you were in a surplus (and your weight loss will be slower than if you weren't trying to build muscle), but they will happen.

Now, as you get closer and closer to your genetic potential, it will become increasingly hard to put on muscle while in a deficit. Eventually, it will become impossible. At that point, you will likely be pretty close to your ideal weight anyway. Many people opt for programs where they work to put on muscle with a minimum amount of accompanying fat, eating just enough excess to fuel muscle growth without too much fat. Others focus on muscle even when it brings extra fat and then work on getting the fat off. But, these are problems for a distant future.

Right now, focus on getting fit. That means exercise and try to build those muscles. You will make progress. It isn't counter-productive to do both. It's probably beneficial to health, even if the weight loss is slower. It is not a waste. It is ideal.
  • 110challenge
    110challenge Posts: 195 Member
    Perfect, thank you!!! That's what I was hoping. I dont mind not weighing in for a month (so I'm not disappointed to see my weight loss stall), I just dont want to be dropping time into strength training if it is futile.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    It's never a bad time ( unless injured ) to conduct strength training. You can improve muscle function and strength regardless. And strength training has proven to help you retain muscle mass while in a heavy caloric deficit, as does sufficient protein intake.

A surplus caloric intake is only needed when trying to gain significant mass, and then only in someone who is already "well trained".
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I'm in the exact same boat. I was thinking of eating at maintenance on lifting days, and at my regular deficit on rest days. So 3 days a week eat at maintenance, on the other days where my exercise is just walking/jogging eat at a deficit. Whether this will work, i am not knowing :lol:
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    It's never too soon or too late to start strength training. Lift weights now; the sooner the better. You don't want to lose weight and then end up as an icky "skinny fat".
  • Yogi_warrior
    Yogi_warrior Posts: 5,464 Member

From everything I'm reading, I really ought to start some strength training, but I'm also consistently reading that I need to be in a calorie suplus to build muscle. I still want to lose 40 lbs, so I am not interested in switching to a surplus right now.

Am I wasting my time starting a strength training routine, then? It's not that I want to bulk exactly, I want to firm - but is that not one in the same? Will I basically not see any results?

THANKS!

Erin

When you are new to resistance training, you will gain muscle over a period of time depending on how aggressive your deficit is during the training. Sure, you won't gain slabs of muscle like body builders but thats not the point when you are trying to lose weight. In six months, I lost around 50-60 lbs of fat but also put on 9 lbs of lean body mass. Contrary to what people say, it can be done with a proper training program and diet. Start with compound body weight exercises like pushups, pull ups, squats and so on. Do easy variations of compound BW routines in the beginning, these are way better than those Ken & Barbie isolated machines or dumbbells.