Mayo Vs. Miracle Whip

Options
daylitemag
daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
Which is the "better" choice for LCHF eating?

I don't know if everyone is familiar with "Miracle Whip" but it is also called salad dressing. It's basically the same as Mayo but it's a bit tangier and much lower in calories. Unlike real, full-fat Mayo it does have a couple of carbs per tbsp. I'm sort of torn. Two tbsp of Mayo is about 200 calories versus about 80 for MW. I like to use it to make egg salad.

What is your opinion? High Calorie/fat/no carbs versus Low Calorie/minor carb content.

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Everyone always mentions mayo, not sure if it's better for lc or just preferred by most. I can't stand the stuff I tried but I dont like it. I'm one of the strange ones that loves miracle whip.
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I personally like the Mayo over Miracle whip .....I like the more mild creaminess of mayo ....I don't really like the tangy miracle whip
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Miracle Whip has high fructose corn syrup in it, so I personally would steer clear.
    Maybe you could add seasonings to regular mayo to get the tangy flavor you like.
    Should just be more vinegar and ... ??? I don't know what else. Lol
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I prefer mayo! The tangy taste of miracle whip is off putting for me.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Mayo for me due to all of the above. Primarily is taste though.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Both are going to have low-quality soybean and/or canola oil. Making your own is SUPER easy! http://meljoulwan.com/2010/06/03/the-secret-to-homemade-mayo-patience/
    (I use avocado oil)
  • cairnsmom
    cairnsmom Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I like the mayo with olive oil...
  • daylitemag
    Options
    So, no one has any thoughts on the significant caloric difference between the two? I know that on LCHF we focus mainly on the macros, but I think most also agree that calories are important too.

Miracle Whip = 40 calories, 2g Carb, 4g fat
    Mayo = 100 Calories, 0g Carb, 10g Fat

I happen to prefer (slightly) the taste of MW, but I could go either way. Lately i have been going with Mayo for the fat content and lack of carbs, but the calorie difference between the two is pretty significant. Also, I don't eat either very often; on avg less than once per week.
  • daylitemag
    Options
    Everyone always mentions mayo, not sure if it's better for lc or just preferred by most. I can't stand the stuff I tried but I dont like it. I'm one of the strange ones that loves miracle whip.

Me too!
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    daylitemag wrote: »

Me too!

:) Yes! I very rarely eat it as well. But when I do I miss the tangyness of mw if there's only mayo. I realize mw has all sorts of ingredients that dont work for some. If it were something I ate all the time I'd probably try to figure out how to make my own, as it stands right now I don't even have either in my fridge.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    @daylitemag Myself personally, I would take the higher calorie count. Now, I am not putting half a jar of mayo on my food anyways but I can do a tablespoon of mayo and make up the caloric difference in another part of the meal.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    So, no one has any thoughts on the significant caloric difference between the two? I know that on LCHF we focus mainly on the macros, but I think most also agree that calories are important too.

Miracle Whip = 40 calories, 2g Carb, 4g fat
    Mayo = 100 Calories, 0g Carb, 10g Fat

I happen to prefer (slightly) the taste of MW, but I could go either way. Lately i have been going with Mayo for the fat content and lack of carbs, but the calorie difference between the two is pretty significant. Also, I don't eat either very often; on avg less than once per week.

The lower calories are of no benefit at all if you get an insulin response that starts storing fat. The insulin response is also likely going to trigger other hormone release that will increase hunger, i.e. cravings.
    The idea that eating low calorie foods is more associated with low fat eating because you are hungry when you eat that way and you need to eat so often that everything you eat needs to be low calorie.
    That's not really an issue this way. If you eat the right foods (not based on calories but quality) then you won't be hungry. Therefore calories are kinda null
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    So, no one has any thoughts on the significant caloric difference between the two?

Just different ratios of oils, eggs, and water.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    So, no one has any thoughts on the significant caloric difference between the two?

It would only be significant if you're eating a significant amount of either. I don't like the vegetable oils, so I don't eat a whole lot of those. I would stick with the higher fat, because I prefer to keep my fats high. In fact, the only time I even use mayo is when I am away from home and am stuck with lean meat and want to add a fat source to balance it out. In that case, the extra fat from the mayo would be beneficial.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I like both and often have a jar of each in my fridge.
    kirkor wrote: »
    Both are going to have low-quality soybean and/or canola oil. Making your own is SUPER easy! http://meljoulwan.com/2010/06/03/the-secret-to-homemade-mayo-patience/
    (I use avocado oil)

I tried making mayo but it was a massive fail. My guess is my olive oil was starting to go rancid. Ugh. I shudder just thinking about it. I haven't wanted to try again because I still feel traumatized by its disgustingness. ;)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,963 Member
    Options
    One day I WILL make my own mayo. Duke's is still ok with me though. I don't eat that much mayo even though I love it. But I can't eat salad dressings anymore like Ranch. I can taste the frankenfoodiness in it! NASTY! So I'm making my own next time. My kids love the store Ranch. Blurgh. :confounded:
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Me too @baconslave!! I've wanted to make my own too! Even bought a nice food processor to do it with, lol! Haven't used it!!

@daylitemag, I would count the carbs before the calories. I understand the "deficit" thinking, but it wouldn't fit in my day. It's perfectly fine if it fits your day though!
  • daylitemag
    Options
    Thanks for all the great comment!. Through this discussion I think I ended up answering my own question. I eat the stuff so infrequently that it doesn't matter one way or the other. If I sometimes eat Mayo the extra 120 calories aren't going to sink me and if I sometimes have miracle whip the extra 5 carb grams aren't going to either. So, I'll just go with Miracle Whip as I prefer the taste. I really do appreciate everyone's comments. I often find that a good discussion helps me to organize my thoughts.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    @kirkor thxs for the mayo recipe. I have been dodging store bought dressings n sauces to dodge extra sugars n strange ingredients. A couple of low sugar out there but I love the idea of making my own.
  • natalialikescookies
    Options
    I debate the same question when it comes to ranch: full fat 200cals/2tbsp/1carb or yogurt ranch 45cals/2tbs/3carbs.
    I like A LOT of dressing on my salad and I love salads, I have one at least 3 times a week for lunch! unless I'm out with no other option I always pick the yogurt ranch. I prefer the flavor and I'd rather use 90cals on my dressing than 400. But I also don't do Keto like a lot of folks on here. I don't eat starches/added sugars but don't usually restrict vegetables and eat fruits daily. My net carbs are around 50-100 so those extra 4c don't make too much of a difference to me.