Wait, wait... Kale Caesar salad at Mcd's is high cal...

Options
camtosh
camtosh Posts: 898 Member
edited February 2016 in Social Groups
Just heard on NPR about Canada's McDonalds offering kale Caesar salads that have more calories than a double Big Mac. But what about the carbs? Any Canucks tried it? http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business/mcdonalds-kale-calorie-questions-1.3423938

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    My estimates from the nutrition information given (calories, fat, and protein) is that the double big mac has about 44.5 grams of carbs and the salad has about 35.25 grams of carbs. Looks like the chicken is breaded. So, that's a big turn off to me.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    My estimates from the nutrition information given (calories, fat, and protein) is that the double big mac has about 44.5 grams of carbs and the salad has about 35.25 grams of carbs. Looks like the chicken is breaded. So, that's a big turn off to me.

That's what I was thinking. They ruined it with breaded chicken. I bet they offer it grilled too though. At least I hope so.
    And I wonder about the dressing. I ate a salad there once and didn't log it until after because I didn't expect any surprises, but their Newmans Own ranch dressing has quite a lot of sugar in it! I can't remember how much but it was very surprising!

Edit:
    I just checked. The dressing had 4g sugar (1tsp) and 9g carbs for one packet. Which I think was 2 ounces.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Why don't we just go on the general assumption that ANYTHING at McD's is noxious except a glass of water. And I'm not entirely sure about the water; for all we know, they may recycle it from the dishwashers as a way to reduce expenses. Ya nevva knows.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    They'd have to make it high cal/high carbs to sucker the fast food crowd into eating anything remotely healthy-ish in general idea! LOL
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Why don't we just go on the general assumption that ANYTHING at McD's is noxious except a glass of water. And I'm not entirely sure about the water; for all we know, they may recycle it from the dishwashers as a way to reduce expenses. Ya nevva knows.

Not in Aus. Aussie McDonalds use really good quality beef, and I do love a double quarter pounder with cheese and bacon (no sauce, onion or bun). Only about once every 3 months, but *kitten* it's good :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Not in Aus. Aussie McDonalds use really good quality beef, and I do love a double quarter pounder with cheese and bacon (no sauce, onion or bun). Only about once every 3 months, but *kitten* it's good :)

Yep, and Hungry Jacks (Burger King) use hormone free Beef.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    We have one fast food place in my town and it's McDonald's. I remember when I list weight last time just eating lower calories I could eat a happy meal and fit it in my goals no problem. What really struck me though was how I felt after, and it wasn't digestive problems, it would make me irritable, super short tempered and ready to snap at everyone. I don't know what in their good triggered that but I want nothing to do with it now.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I tell people all the time that salads are bad for you. Looks like McD's is just trying to help me prove my point.

Of course, I doubt my typical order would qualify as "healthy" on that site. (Typical McD's order is 4-8 a la-carte quarter pound burger patties -- I have absolutely no idea what the calorie count is for that).
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Meanwhile, in Japan, they introduce a burger with mashed potatoes inside: http://ajw.asahi.com/article/business/AJ201602230062

blech! But I am not surprised. They sell sandwiches in the shops filled with yakisoba noodles and not much else.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    camtosh wrote: »
    Meanwhile, in Japan, they introduce a burger with mashed potatoes inside: http://ajw.asahi.com/article/business/AJ201602230062

blech! But I am not surprised. They sell sandwiches in the shops filled with yakisoba noodles and not much else.

Here in Scotland you can get a Chip Butty at most fish & chips shops, it's a French fry sandwich, no protein at all! Carbs sandwiched between carbs. Total blech! Even if I ate starches I wouldn't eat that.
  • crunchketo
    crunchketo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've had the grilled chicken version and used about 1tsp of dressing (I don't like dressing much). Maybe the calories are higher than a Big Mac but it has cheese, bacon, lettuce and chicken, much better macros (and the crutons are separate so you can skip those easily).