Squatting Unevenly... help!

Options
I think this is my first post on these boards... hello to all the other lifters out there! :flowerforyou:

I started Phase 1 over 2 weeks ago. I decided to lengthen the first phase to a total of 24 workouts instead of 18 because I really need to get into the groove of proper form and lifting all over again. I love, love, LOVE lifting, but haven't really done so since college and that's been about 4 years.

A little background on my work so far: I started A1 and A2 as bodyweight squats to work on my form (and yes, I did get sore :ohwell: ). When I did A3, I couldn't find an open squat rack for the life of me, so I did goblet squats instead. A4 came around (2x12) and I was finally able to find an open squat rack at my gym. I started with a warm up of 8 reps with just the bar. I did my first set of 12 with just the bar, and decided to add 5 lb plates to each side for my second set of 12. I noticed my form was odd, as I was leading my raise with my right leg (dominant, of course).

It didn't hurt at the time, but I could definitely feel a little bit of a pull on my adductor on my right leg. I noticed it was an issue when I tried to do weighted step ups and the adductor definitely hurt. I was able to finish the step ups without the weight without pain... but I was so excited to add weight to my step ups this workout! :grumble:

My husband thinks I'm leaning forward too far on my squats, which I'm guilty of from time to time. Any other possible causes? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    take video and post for critique. Without actually seeing from front and side it's hard to tell.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    Hi - I'm trying to picture what you are saying in my mind and can't quite get there.

It sounds like you are getting to parallel in your back squat - is that correct? But, from the bottom position, moving back to the vertical position - your right leg is "rising first"?? I'm not sure what is causing that, at all. Are your hips in the correct position when you are parallel?

Re: step-ups - are you using a high enough bench?? Make sure, first, that the bench you are on is tall enough that your quad is at a right angle from your shin before adding ANY weight. If it isn't - you need to FIRST start increasing the height of your bench and then, when you can successfully use the right height bench (no cheats!!), then start adding weight. (I'm only saying this because, after 18-months of lifting, step-ups are STILL very difficult for me to get through without "cheats" when I am using the highest bench that I can.)