fiber on ketogenic plan of 20 carbs daily

Options
mfr0125
mfr0125 Posts: 33 Member
I'm curious as to how people are getting their fiber intake. I've been diagnosed with diverticulosis and doctor recommends more fiber (oatmeal/fruits etc). I don't want to go off keto plan. Even though I eat leafy greens, etc, it does not come near the 20-35 grams of fiber that doctor recommends. Does anyone use psyllium husk? Thanks for feedback.

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I count net carbs instead of total, and eat avocados, leafy greens, cauliflower, and other non-starchy vegetables. I was able get 20-35 grams of fiber without going over 20 grams of carbs, net, that way. Now I've added oatmeal for my GI tract, which means a higher carb allowance, period, since I'm not giving up vegetables. I'm still staying within 30-50 grams of carbs, net, and under 70 total. I don't eat much fruit. Psyllium husk did not do for me what oatmeal does, which makes sense because they have somewhat different amounts of different types of fiber. I suggest asking your doctor. You can also try it, and see if psyllium husk keeps you comfortable.

*If you don't have a health reason to keep your carbs extremely low, you can still be in ketosis eating 50 grams of carbs or less, which is enough to allow you to get 20-35 grams of fiber.
  • marshmallowbuff
    marshmallowbuff Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I eat chia seed pudding which has about 5g of fat 5g of carbs but also 5g of fiber and then I top it with some berries.

Avocado is a good source of fiber and fat

I don't strictly stick to 20g of net carbs I don't mind going up to about 40. Pretty much all my carbs come from chia seeds, veggies, berries and....peanut butter (cos I love it). And sometimes the occasional few squares of dark chocolate. I don't buy Atkins bars or anything like that, but those also have fiber in it but also have some other questionable ingredients.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I swear this one episode of Keto talk I just listened to covers so many of the topics on our front page of posts right now! This is the 3rd time I'm recommending listening to it because it applies to what is being discussed.
    I think around the middle point he starts talking about fiber and how the needs for it change. And about how reduced insulin reduces inflammation all around improving many symptoms from inflammatory issues.
    I think you will find it very valuable information for your concern.
    http://ketotalk.com/2016/02/10-autoimmune-disease-constipation-and-supplements-on-keto/
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    I take psyllium capsules and have good results.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds and raspberries
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You might be interested in this -- https://www.gutsense.org/gutsense/diverticular.html

Also, there's a few threads (one of which about ulcerative colitis that is recent) regarding fiber and LCHF diets in the archives. Definitely worth trying to dig them up. I think there are one or two links in the Launch Pad, as well.

In short, some seek out fiber, as mentioned above, while others have gone the opposite route and don't worry about fiber at all -- even to the "extreme" of not consuming any fiber. In the context of LCHF, fat does the same job of helping things move along, through different mechanisms than fiber, making it largely optional given sufficient amounts of fat intake.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I don't consume fiber. Most people don't need it, unless you have to take it for medical reasons. I have no problem "going to the toilet", I mean sure, it's not a glorious every day event like it is for my hubby, but I am not "stopped up". There's no logic to eating an indigestible filler so you can poo more. I've actually found the opposite to be true, if I eat fibrous veges or take supplements I get bloated and constipated.

A few years ago I tried one of those chemist shake programs and they were high fibre and caused nothing but gas and bloating and pain.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Chia and I are mortal enemies. Permanently. I have not found a way to consume chia seeds in any form that does not accost and borderline violate my bowel's health and safety.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I've always been astounded with my hubby's toileting schedule. He goes after every meal like clockwork, 2-3 times a day.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    My hubby goes every morning, and sometimes in the evening. he always announces it to me and tells me how it went
  • Christine_72
    Options
    My hubby goes every morning, and sometimes in the evening. he always announces it to me and tells me how it went

Haha How considerate of him :+1:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've always been astounded with my hubby's toileting schedule. He goes after every meal like clockwork, 2-3 times a day.

Mine too. New food comes in, old food goes out. Not me! Once a day. Mornings. Thanks to magnesium.
  • Christine_72
    Options

Mine too. New food comes in, old food goes out. Not me! Once a day. Mornings. Thanks to magnesium.

Men seem to have an easier time with pooping! And ditto the magnesium, every night before bed.

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options

Yeah, me too. I do use Phyllium Husks (or powder) sometimes...usually in conjunction with baking a LC Keto-friendly "bread." Aside from that, I really don't use it that much on its own.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I count net carbs, not total, and try to stay under 30 net/day. For me though the fat has decreased the need for fiber. I've had a much easier time on this WOE than when I did low carb/low fat/high protein.