Short Duathlon

Options
xcmum
xcmum Posts: 136
Hi all, just found this group. I was looking at a short duathlon series. There is 3 events over 3 months (Nov, Dec, Jan)

1km run -10km bike - 3km run
1km run - 15km bike - 4km run
1km run - 20km bike - 5km run

I've done a few 3 mountain bike races but never road races and have also done a half marathon just last month.
This may sound like a stupid question but should i be training for this or start later on in the year?
I'm currently running 3 - 4 times a week (kids in stroller) and cycling maybe once a week (as its winter here i don't have the light on my side once the kids are in bed)

Maybe a few rides followed by a run to get use to changing over and get my legs use to it?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Bricks will be your friend! The sooner you start doing them (one a week is probably plenty) the easier it will be. Guaranteed that your legs will feel rubbery at first but you'll probably adapt fairly quickly.

Something else you may want to consider is practicing your transitions. Practice laying out your gear (fortunately transitions for duathlons are less complicated than triathlons - you're not dealing with wet feet, wetsuits etc) and rehearse both T1 and T2 - just one less thing to worry about on race day. (If you don't already own a pair get some tri shorts - they're like a bike short but have a lighter chamois so you can run, bike & swim in them)
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I don't see a need to start training specifically for these for a month or so (3 months out). These are all speed races. Interval work on the run (mile repeats, yassos, etc) and on the bike (PPT intervals, 20-30 minute threshold work, etc) will be your friend. I like to have my athletes run off the bike once a week at the most. Usually after their long runs for the week. Really there is nothing physiologically it does, but you can work on finding a cadence and controlling your heart rate off the bike.
  • xcmum
    xcmum Posts: 136
    Options
    Thanks for your comments. I will read up more on Bricks to get this in my training