Advice about a lot

Options
marisanne
marisanne Posts: 38 Member
So I started trying the low carb high fat lifestyle on the 13th. I lost 6.5lbs and was 137. My goal is 125. My husband and I have been eating the same things over and over and over and I can't handle it. I don't cook often and really don't know how to whip something different together. I decided to start doing squats so on Monday of this week I did 35 squats with a kettlebell. Yesterday I ate 4 slices of bacon, cream cheese pancakes, and tuna lettuce wraps. By dinner I was so sick of broccoli I just didn't even eat. I got on the scale this morning and was back up to 139. I don't want to be that weight consistently. I really hate the thought of tracking my food. I know I'm not cheating. It is a little discouraging because I don't know what I did exactly to gain 2 lbs back. Any advice

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    You exercised causing water retention in the muscles. That's a natural part of muscle repair.
  • marisanne
    Options
    Will that ever stop?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Not likely. If you work your muscles, they need to repair.
    It's bit weight gain. You can't stress these fluctuations. They always happen. I was 2 pounds heavier yesterday but I haven't lost weight today. It's just s fluctuation. I'm up almost a pound from over two weeks ago but it's not gain either. It's just a fluctuation. In my case I started some exercise too. I'm glad my muscles are being worked worked hard enough to need to repair and the water is showing in the scale.
    Your weight will never go down and not eventually go up again. It does not mean you've gained weight. You literally could have actually still lost fat and show an increase.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    For reference, here is my daily weight for the past 30 days.
    4z8tjt2y5qn8.png
    The lower dots are low weighing. The higher dots higher weigh ins. It fluctuates but trends downward over the longer picture. In this 30 day, even the trend is going up. But that's when I started exercise. My daily weight has been higher due to water. Plus TOM will be soon and that's a factor.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    You exercised causing water retention in the muscles. That's a natural part of muscle repair.
    This
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I feel if your gonna tone you should put the scale away, it will drive u crazy! If your eating right and working out then you'll be fine over time it will start dropping again
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the above on exercise and water retention. As for the issues you are having with food and being bored of what you usually eat I would advise getting on Pinterest and looking up low carb recipes. Try making even just one new recipe a week. After awhile you'll have a handful of favorites that you can rotate to avoid boredom.

My go-to recipes that I eat pretty regularly are philly cheesesteak stuffed peppers, chili cheese hot dogs without the bun, fathead pizza, spaghetti squash "spaghetti" with meat sauce, or a roast of some sort with steamed veggies.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10067269/your-scale-is-a-lying-liarpants?new=1

Read both of those. If you read either of them before, read them again.

Then, go take body measurements and maybe a couple of pictures. Put the scale away for at least a month. Have your husband hide it from you if you need to. Don't get it back until April.

As for food boredom -- get different foods. Pick up hamburgers or sausage or a rotisserie chicken, or if you're really lucky, some lamb. Pick up asparagus or salad fixings (your favorite lettuce blend that isn't iceberg, some cheddar or other full fat cheese, some avocado, some walnuts, an oil or cream based dressing, olives, and just about whatever else you want to put on that's compliant). Grab some cheese, cream, and cauliflower and make a "cheesy mac" thing.
    I don't cook often and really don't know how to whip something different together.

First, let's address the stated problem. Now, while I am able to throw stuff together and come up with something at least edible, that's because I've had years of practice. However, there are times where I have stuff and don't know what to do with it, or need to find a different way of cooking something.

That's where Google, and sites like http://allrecipes.com/, https://www.pinterest.com/, and http://www.yummly.com/, come in. It's not uncommon for me to spend half an hour or more scouring through Google and recipe sites to find recipes that look good and contain at least mostly what I have. Follow the recipe and you have yourself a tasty meal and a recipe to add to your own list of ideas.

Now, for the underlying issue -- why don't you cook much? I'm looking to put together some resources for people who say similar things to you "I don't know how to cook," "I can't even boil water," etc. and it'd be very helpful if I could have more information on why such barriers are in place (so I can provide the information that will dismantle them :smile:)
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    I agree with all the above on exercise and water retention. As for the issues you are having with food and being bored of what you usually eat I would advise getting on Pinterest and looking up low carb recipes. Try making even just one new recipe a week. After awhile you'll have a handful of favorites that you can rotate to avoid boredom.

My go-to recipes that I eat pretty regularly are philly cheesesteak stuffed peppers, chili cheese hot dogs without the bun, fathead pizza, spaghetti squash "spaghetti" with meat sauce, or a roast of some sort with steamed veggies.

Oooh, have you seen the chicken Parmesan in spaghetti squash? It looks soooo good!

https://www.facebook.com/buzzfeedtasty/videos/1688876744698301/
  • marisanne
    Options
    [quote=Now, for the underlying issue -- why don't you cook much? I'm looking to put together some resources for people who say similar things to you "I don't know how to cook," "I can't even boil water," etc. and it'd be very helpful if I could have more information on why such barriers are in place (so I can provide the information that will dismantle them :smile:)[/quote]

Well for one I never was taught how to cook or took interest in it when I was young. My mom is a great cook and she would just cook and make my plate. Only child, not bratty but spoiled yes. Now in my adult life I know how to make simple things. I hate standing over the stove for an hour and I hate a grocery list length of ingredients for one single recipe. Why? Because I don't have much experience so the process goes so much slower. Then I have a two year old, an 8 month old, I am in graduate school, my husband is in nursing school, and I work a full time job and he works full time. Most nights he is not home and it's hard for me to cook something

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    marisanne wrote: »
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    =Now, for the underlying issue -- why don't you cook much? I'm looking to put together some resources for people who say similar things to you "I don't know how to cook," "I can't even boil water," etc. and it'd be very helpful if I could have more information on why such barriers are in place (so I can provide the information that will dismantle them :smile:)

Well for one I never was taught how to cook or took interest in it when I was young. My mom is a great cook and she would just cook and make my plate. Only child, not bratty but spoiled yes. Now in my adult life I know how to make simple things. I hate standing over the stove for an hour and I hate a grocery list length of ingredients for one single recipe. Why? Because I don't have much experience so the process goes so much slower. Then I have a two year old, an 8 month old, I am in graduate school, my husband is in nursing school, and I work a full time job and he works full time. Most nights he is not home and it's hard for me to cook something

Batch cooking will be your salvation, methinks! That hour spent in front of the stove then becomes multiple meals available for tweaking!!! My favorite simple thing to start with is making taco meat! So many ways to eat it... Making your own seasoning keeps the carbs way down too. :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

Oooh, have you seen the chicken Parmesan in spaghetti squash? It looks soooo good!

And what it about spaghetti squash? That stuff KILLS me carb wise... I wish I loved it more to make it worth the indulgence.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    The scale will drive you crazy. You will be a different number in the morning, at night, when you haven't had a bowel movement, when you are leading up to or during your time of the month. Don't be so worried about the exact number. Read the links that Dragonwolf recommended. That's what you want to concentrate on.

Look into getting a pressure cooker, the new ones that look like a crock pot. I haven't got one yet but my friend has one and said it is amazing. You can throw a roast in there with some seasoning and veggies and it is done in like 30 minutes.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

And what it about spaghetti squash? That stuff KILLS me carb wise... I wish I loved it more to make it worth the indulgence.

I know the feeling. It doesn't fit into my carb goal, either, but for those with higher goals? Awesome meal, methinks (after tweaking for that breading).
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

I know the feeling. It doesn't fit into my carb goal, either, but for those with higher goals? Awesome meal, methinks (after tweaking for that breading).

@Dragonwolf I finally braved one, and both times made a sort of mostly-alfredo type sauce, had like less than a cup each time - and STILL narced out after eating it. UGH. So unhappy. Can't keep having insulin reactions over nothing (I had one with eggs cooked in butter, only, 4, for a meal, and still had one). I don't know if my body just got into a habitual release at the 1 pm mark or what - because I do NOT understand it! So frustrating.
  • hakamruth
    hakamruth Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are busy. I would suggest making crock pot meals. You just throw things into the crock pot, set it and a few hours later you have a wonderful meal. There are a lot of low carb crock pot meals on the internet. Here is one link to get you started http://peaceloveandlowcarb.com/50lowcarbandpaleoslowcookerrecipes/

Also you may want to make freezer meals. Basically take 1 day and make meals or put together meals enough for several days and freeze them. You take out what you need, when you need it and put in a pot, or bake or whatever. This is always great if you buy food in bulk. Just google freezer meals for ideas. http://lowcarbcrock.com/low-carb-freezer-meals/

Cooking takes practice. But I would suggest to stay away from recipes that have long list of ingredients. They are sometimes too complicated and then you end up cluttering your pantry with stuff that you will rarely use. (That's what happened to my pantry.) Cooking is trial and error. It does take time and effort but it is worth it at the end.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options

I will definitely be adding that to my next meal plan after tweaking the breading! Looks yummy!

I'm lucky that I don't seem to have any issues with the spaghetti squash. If I watch the rest of the day close I can stay in my carb allowance. However I don't have any insulin issues so I'm lucky!

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Two pound fluctuations are nothing to fret over.
  • RobinK228
    RobinK228 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10067269/your-scale-is-a-lying-liarpants?new=1

Now, for the underlying issue -- why don't you cook much? I'm looking to put together some resources for people who say similar things to you "I don't know how to cook," "I can't even boil water," etc. and it'd be very helpful if I could have more information on why such barriers are in place (so I can provide the information that will dismantle them :smile:)

I would totally read that, it sounds like it would be super helpful! I can cook, I'm just usually too tired after work (I'm a nurse) and too lazy to go to the store and buy seven gazillion ingredients that will most likely expire before I use them again. I usually look for recipes on Pinterest that don't have a lot of crazy ingredients (okay, I wouldn't even know where to look in the grocery store for Xantham Gum.) My point is, yes, I can buy them online but like I said, I'm lazy and cheap, lol. So my underlying reasons are lazy, tired and cheap. :smile:

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Yes to batch cooking! You can boil a chicken, use the meat for different recipes like chicken salad...then you also have some chicken broth in the pot to sip on when you want, or use it to make some soup that will last a few days. The taco meat is awesome. Making egg muffins ahead of time are great breakfast grabs when needed.

Interest has been a wonderful resource for low carb ideas, and I have found the majority of their recipes to be simple (I'm a nurse and I have to have simple!). Try not to over think things too much. If a recipe looks difficult, pass it by and find one that's simpler. There are many options out there! Plus, you can Google any food with "keto" included, and you will find tons of ideas! You will also learn which websites have the easier recipes too!

Hang in there! Find your way to add the variety you desire! You will be glad you did! And, I hope your super busy life has an end date for the high stress you seem to endure!! Hugs!