If you count calories, what do you hate "wasting" your calories on?

Options

Replies

• natalialikescookies
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Nuts. Unless I measure them out I eat too many of them. It isn't that it is wasted calories, just too many for weight loss.

I couldn't agree more. I don't buy them anymore because I don't have the self control to only eat one serving and even that isn't worth the 150/200cals. Especially with macadamia and cashews I could eat half a pound and not care lol

My husband just bought a giant bag of Costco trailmix to save money since he buys the individual packages at work. When I portioned out a serving (3tbs/30g/200cal) he was sure our scale was broken because the individual packages held so much more. The next day he brought one back. And yes, there were 2.5 servings in an individual bag!! 450 cals!
    The real single serving barely covers the palm of my hand....
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    reblazed wrote: »
    The calories don't bother me ... but boy do I hate using 6 carbs (so far) for the magnesium citrate.

Oh you need to find a different brand
  • reblazed
    reblazed Posts: 255 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @AngInCanada HELP ... what kind do you take? Since I'm trying to stay under 20 carbs 6 is a lot to loose.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, salad. I regret wasting the calories on salad, most of which comes from the dressing. Now, the dressing is sort of a fat bomb because it is bleu cheese, but still...in the end, it's not something I enjoy enough to justify the calories or the carbs.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    The calories don't bother me ... but boy do I hate using 6 carbs (so far) for the magnesium citrate.

Whaaaat? Mine has none

The ones in cellulose capsules have like 1g per capsule.

Whaaaa?? I never count them I had no clue damn that's 2 things I've learned today this and track spices for carbs!!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I just want a caloric refund on stuff that I thought was gonna taste great but ended up disappointing me.

I second this motion! lol (still chuckling) :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    @AngInCanada HELP ... what kind do you take? Since I'm trying to stay under 20 carbs 6 is a lot to loose.

Carb free options

BulkSupplements Pure Magnesium Carbonate (Micronized) Powder (1 Kilogram) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EOWINRC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_PTVZwbS5K2R7V

BulkSupplements Pure Magnesium Citrate Powder (1 Kilogram) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GW5NX8I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_YUVZwbGMS2K8N

BulkSupplements Pure Magnesium Glycinate Powder (250 grams) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F7OZJQE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_CVVZwbC2D49ZJ

Half carb per tablet option.

KAL - Magnesium Glycinate 400, 180 tablets https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00013YZ1Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_8VVZwbREPEZ37

Sometimes there could be little carbs but just not listed on the bottle.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

Sometimes there could be little carbs but just not listed on the bottle.

Or online anywhere. The one I take uses the clear "capsules" which I assume are cellulose... 2 carbs daily aren't enough to tank me, but it's good to know. I've looked up the details NUMEROUS times, only to find nuttin' honey, @Sunny_Bunny_ ...
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options

@reblazed I take natural calm. This is what the website lists "Natural Calm – Flavored:
    Calories: .28 calories per serving (2 tsps./4 grams)
    Carbs: .068 carbohydrates per serving (2 tsps./4 grams)"

I take 1 TSP every night so it's what 0.034g carbs.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

@reblazed I take natural calm. This is what the website lists "Natural Calm – Flavored:

Would 1 teaspoon be less than 200mg magnesium?
    I'm assuming if @reblazed is getting 6g carbs, they're taking a higher dose of magnesium. Around 600mg is what I've read is a recommended starting dose.
  • auntstephie321
    Options

I'm assuming if @reblazed is getting 6g carbs, they're taking a higher dose of magnesium. Around 600mg is what I've read is a recommended starting dose.

It would depend on the brand I take the kal ones you listed but I've seen others that had 2 to 4 g carbs for the same mg of magnesium. Some must add a bunch of other stuff to it.
  • reblazed
    reblazed Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    @AngInCanada and @Sunny_Bunny_ I am currently taking 750mg and have not reached the point that my body says "too much, cut back ". Looking into getting powder form ... Thanks for the advice.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    @AngInCanada and @Sunny_Bunny_ I am currently taking 750mg and have not reached the point that my body says "too much, cut back ". Looking into getting powder form ... Thanks for the advice.

I think I'm going to switch to powder too since I want to take the maximum dose my body can use. Apparently, the glycinate I linked has a bad flavor of just mixed with water according to only some of the reviews. I didn't see anyone say it about the carbonate. That one will be fizzy though. I've had it in a powdered drink mix before. I kinda like the fizzy...
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

It would depend on the brand I take the kal ones you listed but I've seen others that had 2 to 4 g carbs for the same mg of magnesium. Some must add a bunch of other stuff to it.

I meant the amount of magnesium in 1 tsp. She said she only takes 1 tsp... But the carbs are very low at that dose. Just wanted to point out that anyone trying to get the max their body can use, the carbs would be much higher
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    BPC, but only if I'm still hungry for food too. :)
  • auntstephie321
    Options

I meant the amount of magnesium in 1 tsp. She said she only takes 1 tsp... But the carbs are very low at that dose. Just wanted to point out that anyone trying to get the max their body can use, the carbs would be much higher

I know what you were saying. I don't know how much is in one teaspoon. I meant that I've seen others in pill form with the same amounts of magnesium but with different carb levels. So it can vary by brand.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

I know what you were saying. I don't know how much is in one teaspoon. I meant that I've seen others in pill form with the same amounts of magnesium but with different carb levels. So it can vary by brand.

Gotcha.
    It does seem to vary by brand. With some brands just not even including such information
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited February 2016
    Options

My levels were low on my bloodwork, yet I can only take two 135 mg chelated magnesium citrate pills. Three and I have gastro distress. My doctor originally assigned 500 mg of mag oxide. On the third day, my bowels evacuated independent of my control while I was sleeping. I can't imagine what my body would do if I attempted 600 mg, @Sunny_Bunny_ .
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

My levels were low on my bloodwork, yet I can only take two 135 mg chelated magnesium citrate pills. Three and I have gastro distress. My doctor originally assigned 500 mg of mag oxide. On the third day, my bowels evacuated independent of my control while I was sleeping. I can't imagine what my body would do if I attempted 600 mg, @Sunny_Bunny_ .

I think different forms have more or lesser effect this way. I've always heard glycinate to be the best. So, I don't know if that would be any different...
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Considering that I'm in the process of moving in the next year and all that, I really don't have a problem switching to using Amazon instead of my local pharmacy. I'm not keen on switching to a powder form (really, really, really bad experience switching to powder with Inositol last year), but I'll go dig up the other thread...