Carageenan free HWC

Options
Hey there,
I have had zero luck finding any brand of HWC without carageenan as an ingredient. I can pretty successfully sub for it in recipes, but not always.
Does anyone have a brand they could suggest? I'm in the northwest US.
Thanks,
Gayle

Replies

• anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I noticed that Horizon organic no longer had carrageenan but it has some other gum in it now. I'm on the East Coast so I'm not sure what brands you have there but my grocery store carries milk products from a local-ish dairy and that heavy cream has no additives. Just cream and milk. It's also over $8 including the bottle deposit.
  • gayle_moeller
    gayle_moeller Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip Anglyn1!
    I'll check around for Horizon Organic.
    Gayle
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    It is in our HWC from Walmart. We run through about a gallon a week and so far so good for a year now. It runs about $17 a gallon (by the quart size) which is about 40-50% less than Krogers. What is it about carrageenan that gives you concern? Do you know why it gets added?
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    We get Farmer's Cow but I think it's local, don't know if it makes it all the way out west.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Are there any local dairy farms in your area. You may be able to find it there with nothing added
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    It is in our HWC from Walmart. We run through about a gallon a week and so far so good for a year now. It runs about $17 a gallon (by the quart size) which is about 40-50% less than Krogers. What is it about carrageenan that gives you concern? Do you know why it gets added?

@GaleHawkins Carrageenan is an emulsifier, but if I remember my research correctly, it is extracted from seaweed, and it can be a migraine trigger. It's only added to keep the cream from separating and is completely unnecessary. Good real cream will separate some naturally, and I think all of us folk wouldn't mind that a bit, but this is all about appearances and marketability. If someone's cream separated, they'd probably be convinced it was spoiled even if it didn't smell bad at all and throw it away...usually because they've always just seen supermarket stuff - not real milk that does legitimately separate naturally.