Headstand help

Options
telepneff
telepneff Posts: 71 Member
Hi,
I'm just getting back to pole after some time off. I can't afford classes at the moment so teaching myself at home. I'm trying to practice 3 times a week but i usually end up missing one.
Anyway, I'm going through PDC curriculum to catch up to where I was but I'm struggling with headstands. I've only managed to do it once before in a proper lesson and I'm not sure how I managed it. Does anyone have any advice on how I can get into it or any exercises I should be practicing to build my strength up for it? I have my boyfriend around to spot me but I'm not sure how I can get him to help.
The other issue I've had is that any instructions I've found say to have your hands at the base of the pole and head just in front but my head is then half on the base plate so I can't attempt it from there, do I just try from slightly further away from the pole?

Replies

• Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    When I was working on them, I believe I would clasp the pole in my hands and rest my head on my arms. If you are finding it difficult, you probably lack core strength. Planks can help with this. Also, heavy weights with compound lifts. I think I built my abs more through weighted squats than anything else!
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    You probably need to work on strengthening your core and lats. Also, think about subscribing to Studio Veena. It's a great pole dance resource. It's $99 for the year, but it's a great website.
  • Rockchick09
    Rockchick09 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    How are you're headstands now?
  • telepneff
    telepneff Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    To be honest I gave up trying! I'm working on my core strength so hopefully when I do go back to it I won't have too much trouble. Although I think it's mainly fear! Thanks for your responses