Depression/anxiety

Options
emilybeaver
emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
Does anyone suffer from these and found after this woe it got better? I've been really struggling the past month or so and was thinking of upping my meds but the past few days I feel so good emotionally. I wonder if over time I can stop taking them?

Replies

• ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I do feel a lot better eating this way, more energy makes me want to get up and go instead of sleeping life away.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    There are a number of people who have found their mood and mood disorders improve on this way of eating, so it's definitely possible. Whether you can stop your meds entirely will depend on you, your long-term compliance, and the exact nature of your depression/anxiety. You'll want to work with your doctor to tweak your meds as you go, and it might be a good idea to give your SO (and possibly another trusted friend or someone who sees you frequently) a head's up when you reduce the meds, so that you have a third-party observer to ensure you don't fall into disordered habits as a result of dropping the meds too low, too quickly, or extra carbs creeping back in.
  • ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I do and I remain on a low dose of my medication because I definitely still notice creeping levels of anxiety if I don't take it. That said, I'm 46 and I know that I'm also feeling some effects of peri-menopause (sudden bouts of anxiety for no reason showed up about a year ago) so I'm not messing with what works and keeps me feeling sane.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I have noticed much improvement, when I do have anxiety I take magnesium and that helps a lot. I will have issues though like dragonwolf stated if I start eating more carbs or if I let my sodium get to low.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Does anyone suffer from these and found after this woe it got better? I've been really struggling the past month or so and was thinking of upping my meds but the past few days I feel so good emotionally. I wonder if over time I can stop taking them?

The only condition I've heard that it may worsen is bipolar/manic-depressive disorder, and that seems to be hit and miss, to do with ketones triggering manic episodes in some patients. Nearly every other mood related disorder I've heard of has been improved on this dietary plan.

@leahawilson Really should chime in here!!!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I really suggest you work in the sodium and magnesium levels. This and your other posted question both point to a magnesium deficiency.
  • riaward1990
    riaward1990 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have been keto for two months and can't say I've noticed a difference, definitely not enough to look at reducing meds. Am I doing anything wrong or is it just a personal to each case?
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    For me, the difference seems to be if I'm eating wheat/gluten or not. Life improves dramatically when I avoid it, and seems to fall apart when I fall back into eating things with wheat. It doesn't seem to be carb-related but I can absolutely see a difference as it relates to wheat.
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have been keto for two months and can't say I've noticed a difference, definitely not enough to look at reducing meds. Am I doing anything wrong or is it just a personal to each case?

Definitely not doing anything wrong, just by default, @riaward1990 . Every person is individual, as are their triggers, so there is no telling. You would have to do some elimination of known triggers and such to see what fits your situation...

My friend that I mentioned above, @leahawilson only found some ease to her symptoms when drinking Kombucha to focus on repairing her gut's health...
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    I really suggest you work in the sodium and magnesium levels. This and your other posted question both point to a magnesium deficiency.

So I should take my mag supplement daily? I'm afraid I'll be in the bathroom a lot if that happens haha....
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

So I should take my mag supplement daily? I'm afraid I'll be in the bathroom a lot if that happens haha....

Magnesium is meant to be supplemented daily. Originally my doc talk about me taking a whole pill on day 1, then 1/2 a pill on days 2 and 3, then repeat onward. Too much hassle - just found a better form for me.
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    I guess I could do that. Or just take a half for a little while and work myself up to it. Since I seemed to get the kind that makes you go constantly. Maybe I should get one that says Mag citrate instead of mag oxide
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I found that eating this way, greatly improved my mood. I suffered from depression (not anxiety) for many years to the point that I was on medication for it; however, since switching to this WOE, I have been off the medication for nearly 18 months and no longer need to take it. I rarely if ever get depressed now. I mean, sure every once in a while I will get sad or be down but it's nothing like what I experienced before Keto. To me there's no comparison.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I've been dealing with some pretty gnarly depression and anxiety (sometimes driving me to agoraphobic tendencies) since childhood. I'm probably the most mellow and calm now than I've been since I was.... Ummmm born? I have vivid memories of anxiety issues from when I was 3, so I can't really remember being any other way.

This woe has changed so many things for me, most for the positive, and the negative aspects are absolutely acceptable.

I don't take preventative medication for depression or anxiety, but I can safely say that I definetely wouldn't need to at this point.

This was a very unexpected side effect and is most welcome. My husband is quite happy about it too, I think I'm much easier and less stressful to be around now.
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I think it's been said but we are all different. I have been on meds for anxiety and depression for years. Eating low carb hasn't changed the way I feel about these particular things and havn't even considered going off my medication.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

If what you have is mag oxide, your body cannot absorb very much of it and more of it will be expelled through digestion. I really recommend ordering online for next time. I've looked in several different stores and a vitamin shop and GNC and can't find good ones. Even the citrate I find is the higher carb capsules. Unless you find the powdered kind. I have found that kind at a specialty vitamin store. But it was more expensive.
    I originally bought oxide too for the same reason. I didn't know what I know now.
    It actually never gave me the laxative effect even at 500mg twice a day. I suspect it was because I split it up like that. So if you're worried about it, take some morning and night. I highly recommend taking the maximum amount you can without the laxative effect happening.
    Magnesium is crazy vital to so many bodily functions and your body cannot make it. If there isn't enough, stuff just doesn't get done. You don't even know what might be effected by a deficiency. But magnesium is part of over 300 enzymatic processes in the body. Your body is using so much every day. If you aren't supplying enough, things aren't getting done. If you supply more, more stuff gets done.
    Taking the maximum tolerable amount ensures you're providing ALL of the magnesium your body can use that day. You'll still need more the next day...
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I started keto last may and made the choice to wean off my medication because I felt so good mentally. I've nkw been off of them for 9 months and still doing well. I DO however feel the depression and anxiety creeping back in if I go off plan and eat sugar or have caffeine. I did go paleo from October to 6 days ago and didn't have any negative side effects from carbs, I just can't seem to lose weight without being keto
  • RobinK228
    RobinK228 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have Type 2 Bipolar Disorder as well as Generalized Anxiety Disorder and had a lengthy discussion with my psychiatrist regarding my medication and a lower carb lifestyle. She pointed me to an abstract published regarding a Ketogenic "diet" and mood stablizing success. Here's a link: http://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23030231

I had the same question as you, wondering if I would eventually be able to discontinue or lower my dosage of my mood stabilizers. Essentially, she and I discussed that each person is unique in that their response will be varied but that due to the nature of my illness, I would most likely be on some form of a mood stabilizer indefinitely. The dosage, however, may change depending on numerous factors. In addition to modifying my eating habits I've started exercising which has also helped immensely with my mood. After the first month, I was able to eliminate my "as needed" anti-anxiety medications entirely (with approval from my doctor.) :smile:
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    RobinK228 wrote: »
    I have Type 2 Bipolar Disorder as well as Generalized Anxiety Disorder and had a lengthy discussion with my psychiatrist regarding my medication and a lower carb lifestyle. She pointed me to an abstract published regarding a Ketogenic "diet" and mood stablizing success. Here's a link: http://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23030231

I had the same question as you, wondering if I would eventually be able to discontinue or lower my dosage of my mood stabilizers. Essentially, she and I discussed that each person is unique in that their response will be varied but that due to the nature of my illness, I would most likely be on some form of a mood stabilizer indefinitely. The dosage, however, may change depending on numerous factors. In addition to modifying my eating habits I've started exercising which has also helped immensely with my mood. After the first month, I was able to eliminate my "as needed" anti-anxiety medications entirely (with approval from my doctor.) :smile:

@RobinK228 - I have the same dual diagnoses and have found a great deal of improvement on the anxiety front but not so much with the bipolar - but i haven't been super duper strict on carbs until just recently so I hope to see some additional changes/improvements. I have an appointment with my psychiatrist on 3/2 and am excited to discuss this WOE with her. I rarely take my PRN Xanax now, although I am reluctant to let go of having some on hand "just in case," you know? I am glad for the link you posted, I will be going through it and may even bring it/the link for her perusal.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Some significant NSVs here!! Congrats all.
    I feel happier and calmer with this WOE.

SRI medications for anxiety and depression do come with warnings which I think are very important: change dosage under medical supervision. There is a lag time between dose change and body /mind reactions so it requires careful changes so to minimise risk of a rapid down and very bad potential thinking n mood n consequences. Good luck n I hope that this WOE does result in managed reductions for you.