MCT oil

There could possible be a post about this. So I apologize for the duplication. What is the verdit on MCT oil? I am thinking baout buying some. The bottle I looked at is 32 oz. I cant believe the amount of fat that is in this stuff. Like 14 grams for a tablespoon. That just seems like a whole bunch to be consuming in one serving.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    Mine recommended starting with 1 tsp at a time, up to three times a day. I take between 2-3 tsp at once, once per day right now. I prefer it mixed into something, as though it's tasteless, I get a little weird about swallowing it down... LOL
  • KnitOrMiss
    Oh, and I LOVELOVELOVE it... Reminds me of the cool clear energy I get when water fasting through a meal time!
  • wishfullthinking79
    wishfullthinking79 Posts: 322 Member
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Mine recommended starting with 1 tsp at a time, up to three times a day. I take between 2-3 tsp at once, once per day right now. I prefer it mixed into something, as though it's tasteless, I get a little weird about swallowing it down... LOL

I can totally understand that. Thats how I felt about the coconut oil in my smoothie. I am hoping to mix it with coffee or tea. Probably tea because I do not drink coffee that often anymore. I have read that it definitely gives an energy bust. Which I could totally work with. I think the benefits on the brain function is awesome. I am currently a fulltime student, so that could be very useful for me.

I guess it could have been 14 grams of fat per teaspoon if that is the case. Thanks for your input. I am going to order me some tonight.
  • KnitOrMiss

I can totally understand that. Thats how I felt about the coconut oil in my smoothie. I am hoping to mix it with coffee or tea. Probably tea because I do not drink coffee that often anymore. I have read that it definitely gives an energy bust. Which I could totally work with. I think the benefits on the brain function is awesome. I am currently a fulltime student, so that could be very useful for me.

I guess it could have been 14 grams of fat per teaspoon if that is the case. Thanks for your input. I am going to order me some tonight.

Mine is 5 grams per tsp, so 15 per TBSP.... And yeah, you'd love this feeling in your brain trying to study, likely, other than it makes you want to get up and move sometimes.... LOL
  • wishfullthinking79
    I should of asked what is the best brand to get? I have done a little reading on it. It list a few different ones. Then the article said to be sure to buy a good quality one. There is one that is sold on amazon that I was going to get. It is the same one that I seen at sprouts.
  • wishfullthinking79
    the brain octane seems a little pricey. I am not too sure I want to spend that much not knowing if I will be able to follow through with the use of it.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    I don't take it straight- it bothers my stomach that way. I use it on my salads and in my homemade mayo. If I put it in coffee or hot chocolate, I can definitely feel a boost of energy. It's super good for you; don't be afraid of the amount of fat- that's what a Ketogenic Diet is all about.
  • KnitOrMiss
    I should of asked what is the best brand to get? I have done a little reading on it. It list a few different ones. Then the article said to be sure to buy a good quality one. There is one that is sold on amazon that I was going to get. It is the same one that I seen at sprouts.

I use the Buried Treasure brand. You can get it on Amazon pretty cheaply. IMO the Brain Octane one is not balanced. It's the quick burner energy, not the balance with the longer lasting ones. For me, the best combo is Caprylic, Capric, and Lauric acids! Brain Octane is Carprylic only...
  • KnitOrMiss
    I don't take it straight- it bothers my stomach that way. I use it on my salads and in my homemade mayo. If I put it in coffee or hot chocolate, I can definitely feel a boost of energy. It's super good for you; don't be afraid of the amount of fat- that's what a Ketogenic Diet is all about.

I can take it "straight" as long as I've eaten. If not, I made the mistake of taking it on an empty stomach once, and ugh, my body hated me for hours upon hours!!!!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    >For me, the best combo is Caprylic, Capric, and Lauric acids!

isnt' that just coconut oil?
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    I can't do it straight either, took me three days to learn that. I started small with 5 ml then have worked up without issue. I do love the energy and clarity it gives.

@kirkor I believe the mct has higher concentrations of the caprylic and capric depending on which brand you purchase. coconut oil is primarily lauric acid
  • KnitOrMiss
    kirkor wrote: »

It is, but the proportions are different. Coconut oil has the highest of Lauric Acid - by a huge margin! This is a more balanced combo of all three.

Caprylic is super fast fuel, Capric processes decently, and Lauric is a slow burner.

Additionally, coconut oil is solid at room temp, MCT is cold-pressed, etc. to remain liquid, so it's easier to use in shakes and mayo and such...
  • KnitOrMiss
    kirkor wrote: »

It is, but the proportions are different. Coconut oil has the highest of Lauric Acid - by a huge margin! This is a more balanced combo of all three.

Caprylic is super fast fuel, Capric processes decently, and Lauric is a slow burner.

Additionally, coconut oil is solid at room temp, MCT is cold-pressed, etc. to remain liquid, so it's easier to use in shakes and mayo and such...

Also, it's tasteless, so can be added to anything, as I know is refined coconut oil, but MCT has the benefits of virgin with the convenience of being liquid...
  • wishfullthinking79
    @KnitOrMiss I looked up the Buried Treasure brand. I am only finding the coconut oil. Is that what you are talking about. I was just looking at straight MCT oil.
  • KnitOrMiss
    It should be called Coconut MCT oil, @wishfullthinking79
  • wishfullthinking79

That is the one I looked at. I guess I am confused because it says coconut oil. Is it different than other coconut oil? Is it coconut flavor? Is that the same as just plain MCT oil?
  • KnitOrMiss
    It's different proportions. Regular coconut oil is more Lauric - like way more. The MCT has higher portions of the Caprylic and Capric Acids to the Lauric... It's just a more balanced version of itself. Caprylic is near instant in energy, Capric is a mid-level, and Lauric is slow burning. MCT just has more of these than straight coconut oil. Look at the mg per each on the two different types.
  • KnitOrMiss
    And MCT is also flavorless. Liquid at room temp, etc.
  • Yogi_warrior
    Yogi_warrior Posts: 5,464 Member
    It depends on your goals. I usually avoid MCT oil if my goal is to lose fat. I rather have the body oxidize the fat in my body than give a readily available fuel from MCT. If your goal is better performance, quick energy it would be good. I see best fat loss with out MCT.