What do you set your goals to?

Options
Faery_Dust
Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
The ones in your food diaries? Just wondering what % you set your fat,, protein and carbs to?

I'm aiming to do keto so think it should be 80% fat, 5% carbs and the rest protein. Is that right?

Replies

• kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    80-15-5 is a little high on the fat side. This is probably good for short term to get yourself into ketosis. I'd be concerned that you wouldn't be getting sufficient protein at those levels. You need to make sure you eat sufficient protein to maintain your muscle mass.

Traditional keto is 65-30-5. I've also seen 60-35-5. I see my best weight loss when my fat % is around 70-75%. I've seen feedback from other women here on MFP that they see the same. YMMV though.

For me, I use 70-25-5. My calorie target is around 1500. I calculated this using "Sedentary", so I eat back any exercise calories. With my calorie target and these macros, I'm targeting 118g of fat, 95 g of protein, and 19 g of carbs.

I don't get hung up on hitting that exactly. I just focus on maximizing fat, minimizing carbs, and getting a decent amount of protein. Sunday I was at 78-16-6. Another day was 62-29-9. Carbs always read high because MFP (on the app) doesn't consider net carbs for the totals. So realistically, this is always in the 8-10% range, assuming I'm getting carbs from veggies.

I never want to have a single meal with a lot of protein and no fat. I try to have at least as many grams of fat as protein at every meal.

I really like this keto calculator: http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
    Excess protein can convert to glucose in your body, so I use the minimum recommendation for the calculator.

Good Luck!
  • Faery_Dust
    Options
    Thank you! I was a little worried as I had tuna for lunch and that pushed up my protein so was thinking there was no way I could get my fats up to 85%! I will try to get fats quite hight for the first week or so to try and help me reach ketosis and then try and even out between 65 - 75% or whatever works best for me :)
  • kiramaniac
    Options
    Wait. Tuna without mayo? Blasphemy!

Every meal look for those opportunities to add fat. Butter, sour cream, mayo, cream, coconut oil, guacamole (avocado). All of them help.

Nuts are good too. Many folks eat almonds. 77% fat is great. But check out the lowly pecan: 88% fat! And if you want to get nuts(!) you can sautee them in butter, maybe add some salt, a touch of sweetener and a bit of cayenne.
  • Faery_Dust
    Options
    Hehe, I did have full fat mayo with the tuna ;)

I've had some pistachios today as they are my fave's but will try pecans. Sautee nuts sounds absolutely divine!! :)
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    75% fats, 10% carbs. works for me. almost 2 years now.
  • featherheather81
    featherheather81 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 60% Fat, 30% protein, 10% carb. It's working so far. I may tweak it as I go along, but so far, so good.
  • Spicydeene
    Spicydeene Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi All - LC newbie here. I set mine to 65% Fat, 35% Protein and 5% carb. So far so good as well, but I'm only 6 days in!
  • karendee4
    karendee4 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I am new too and unsure what % to set to. I am going to watch this post :)

Butter sounds divine. I have missed it so much. ;)
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    thanks for the Keto Calculator link.
  • 0Caligirl0
    0Caligirl0 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Newbie here, have 100 lbs to lose and I'm set to 10/30/60 carb/protein/fat. I would love to find a suggested list of foods that work with this plan (fruits, veggies and other carbs, as well as healthy fats), protein is obvious. Does anyone drink milk, or eat Greek yogurt?
  • 0Caligirl0
    0Caligirl0 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Oh also, does that account for total g carbs or net carbs? So confused since so low.
  • kiramaniac
    Options
    Newbie here, have 100 lbs to lose and I'm set to 10/30/60 carb/protein/fat. I would love to find a suggested list of foods that work with this plan (fruits, veggies and other carbs, as well as healthy fats), protein is obvious. Does anyone drink milk, or eat Greek yogurt?

60-30-10 is pretty much keto. Here's an FAQ for reference. http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

No milk - it has lactose, which is a sugar. But you can have heavy cream.
    I think some have yogurt. It's a bit high in carbs for me, so I don't.
    For fruit, berries are your main fruits. Most others have too much sugar.
    Veggies - avoid starches. No corn, no peas, limit onion and tomatoes. Green, leafy is good. I eat lots of mushroom, lettuce, green beans, Brussels sprouts, broccoli. Always add some fat though - butter, cheese, full fat dressing, sour cream.
    Lots of opinions on fat. I use butter (grass-fed is better, as it has more omega 3's). Coconut oil, MCT oil, olive oil. I even use bacon grease. Avocado and nuts are also good sources. Avoid most vegetable oils. They tend to be high in omega 6. Don't be afraid of saturated fat (poor saturated fat - the lies that have told about you!) Good reference here.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fats/#axzz2aGK1yev9

But the bottom line on fat, is that fat is good. Do NOT avoid fat. Do NOT eat lite and low fat options when their full-fat options are available. Add fat wherever you can.

Good luck!