Reached my goal!!!!!!

Options
JaneKnoll1
JaneKnoll1 Posts: 406 Member
I am doing the happy dance! At the end of April I got the shock of a lifetime and was diagnosed with T2D and was way overweight. I went to the doctor for the "flu" which I couldn't shake lol...he was so nice and told me to start walking and eat as healthy as I could. 10 months later I have lost 68 lbs eating healthy with the ratio of 45%carbs (almost all complex) 35%fats (healthy) and 20% protein. I use the 80/20 rule and celebrate when there are occasions but get right back to healthy eating and always walking in addition to any other exercise. I am 1 lb under my goal today.
I have such supportive friends here on MFP and it's fun to celebrate everyone's successes and encourage each other when it's tough times.
Anyway, I doubt I would be as fit and healthy as I am if it were not for my diabetes diagnosis. My A1C is 5.5 but I take metformin still. Reduced to 250 in the am and 250 in the pm.
I am on week 6 of Couch to 5K and also do walking and aqua fitness. Ha!! I always hated any sort of exercise but I love love what I am doing now. I walked and did tai chi till this month as my exercises.
The upside is that now I can tolerate a few more carbs and now I can even eat whole wheat spaghetti (small portion) every once in a while :)
I just wanted to share my good news with you all!! My one piece of advice is try and enjoy your new way of eating and eat lots of different things and don't look at all the weight you are looking to lose..just a meal and day at a time! Best wishes to all you trying to get and keep healthy!!!

Replies

• judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Jane. That's quite a weight loss. I'm still working on the exercise part. With set backs because of another pseudo cyst in September, and bouts of pancreatitis, my goals kinds took a back seat. I was just aiming for painless days and low blood sugars. I think, with spring coming, I can get back on the wagon. I signed up for the June bike challenge to raise money for sick kids. So, I'll be getting my bike ready this week, and working towards a goal of 500K in June.
    Keep up the good work
  • JaneKnoll1
    Options
    Congratulations Jane. That's quite a weight loss. I'm still working on the exercise part. With set backs because of another pseudo cyst in September, and bouts of pancreatitis, my goals kinds took a back seat. I was just aiming for painless days and low blood sugars. I think, with spring coming, I can get back on the wagon. I signed up for the June bike challenge to raise money for sick kids. So, I'll be getting my bike ready this week, and working towards a goal of 500K in June.
    Keep up the good work

Thanks Judy!! That's quite a goal!!! In am doing couch to 5K so I can run/walk 5K on Ottawa Race weekend. Doing it in support of Team Diabetes!!! I am not sure I can run the entire way but I will at least run/walk it!!
    I hope you feel better soon!!!
  • judyvalentine512
    Options
    Thanks Jane. My niece did the 5k on Race weekend after losing over 120 lbs. She did the couch to 5k as well. She ran/walked in under 55 minutes. I'm sure you'll do fine.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yayyyy!!!! :):flowerforyou:
  • JaneKnoll1
    Options
    zcb94 wrote: »
    Yayyyy!!!! :):flowerforyou:
    Thank you so much
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    So exciting! I can't wait to join you. Congrats!!!!!
  • JaneKnoll1
    Options
    shinycrazy wrote: »
    So exciting! I can't wait to join you. Congrats!!!!!
    Thank you so much!!! I can't wait for you to reach it either!!
  • wdnisbet
    wdnisbet Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. I hope you are proud of yourself and continue to look after your health.
  • JaneKnoll1
    Options
    wdnisbet wrote: »
    Congratulations. I hope you are proud of yourself and continue to look after your health.
    Thank you!! I truly am proud and my biggest desire is to remain healthy. My T2D diagnosis scared the living heck out of me....hope you are doing well!!
  • mrtastybutt
    mrtastybutt Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • JaneKnoll1
    Options
    Congrats!
    Thanks so much!!! Feeling great!
  • eddiemoira659
    eddiemoira659 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Fantastic well done
  • JaneKnoll1
    Options
    Fantastic well done
    Thanks so much!!! :)
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    superb accomplishment, and congratulations on not only losing the weight and reducing the meds, but doing the work to get what you want for yourself. Well done.
  • JaneKnoll1
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Snooozie wrote: »
    superb accomplishment, and congratulations on not only losing the weight and reducing the meds, but doing the work to get what you want for yourself. Well done.
    Thanks so much Snoozie!!! I appreciate it!! I am maintaining exactly 1 lb under my goal!! :smile: I also just finished week7 of couch to 5K and can run straight for 25 minutes. This old girl is feeling proud!!
  • judyvalentine512
    Options
    JaneKnoll1 wrote: »
    Thanks so much Snoozie!!! I appreciate it!! I am maintaining exactly 1 lb under my goal!! :smile: I also just finished week7 of couch to 5K and can run straight for 25 minutes. This old girl is feeling proud!!

25 minute run!!! That's great. I'm getting a little quicker on my walks, but I won't be running.
    Keep up the good work Jane :)
  • shippan
    shippan Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Jane you are an inspiration to all of us. We are all struggling to keep healthy and live full lives and you have set the mark higher for so many of us. Congratulation and keep up the good work. Now the hard part comes to keep it going -- well done
  • JaneKnoll1
    Options
    JaneKnoll1 wrote: »

25 minute run!!! That's great. I'm getting a little quicker on my walks, but I won't be running.
    Keep up the good work Jane :)
    Thanks so much Judy!! I never in a million thought I would ever be able to run let alone want to. Walking is excellent exercise and it's my fav along with swimming!!

• JaneKnoll1
    Options
    shippan wrote: »
    Jane you are an inspiration to all of us. We are all struggling to keep healthy and live full lives and you have set the mark higher for so many of us. Congratulation and keep up the good work. Now the hard part comes to keep it going -- well done
    Thanks so much!!! I love all the support...giving and getting here on MFP!! We are in this journey together beating the *kitten* off diabetes!! Yes keeping the motivation and the discipline to keep the weight off and the healthy eating going!! I always look for great recipes that would work for me and share what I think is delicious for other foodies out there! You can do it too!! I am cheering all your successes and am here for you when it's tough!!