Keto vs LCHF

Options
dietbepsi
dietbepsi Posts: 136 Member
...primarily for weight loss. I found the chart that....hmmm...fitgoat? I don't know I really don't remember....posted extremely interesting. Seems like most people on here are going for keto....less than 20 carbs a day. I have also been doing that but I was considering going higher. Like 40 maybe. But primarily I'm trying to help my husband on this and I think he would be much happier starting out higher. I think I might be the minority here, and I was wondering why some people chose to start out at that extremely low 20 net carbs per day instead of reducing to like say 40 to 50? Just curious. I like to hear what other people's experiences are

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    For me, 35-50 grams of carbs still left me with cravings. I had to bump down the notch. Most doctors suggest starting somewhere between 50 grams - 100 grams total daily and adjusting down until you lose weight, or up until you stop losing then back down to the losing range to find your personal threshold. General adjustment is 5 grams per week. So if you started at 50 grams for 4 weeks, determine whether you're actively losing, then up or down from there. If you had to go down, the next week would be 45 grams daily, then next week 40, etc. Or if you lose well at 50 grams and want to go higher, the next week would be 55 daily grams, then 60 and so for until you stopped losing. Say you stopped losing at 80 grams. Then you would bump back down to 75 grams daily for your threshold. Those do have to be adjusted periodically, based on loss rates and such, but any carb range under 150 grams is considered LCHF, and some lose quite well in that range. Others have metabolic complications and must drop lower to repair and optimize their broken metabolisms...
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    For me, that VLC number is all about getting off my insulin as my insulin really inhibits weight loss. I'm much happier food-wise at 35 net / 50 total carbs and that's where I hope to get back to once I lose a good chunk of weight. I like to eat a big bowl of veggies. At that higher number I still enjoyed the reduced hunger, increased energy and the lack of carb bloat. I just didn't get the same amount of weight loss that I get now that I barely need any insulin.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    There's actually a lot of members at higher levels.
    I personally chose the Keto level initially as kind of a personal challenge and because I had a seriously bad sugar addiction. I was eating multiple boxes of movie theater sized candy a week. I'd eat some every single day and hide it in different places because I knew eating so much candy was a problem, but I didn't want my husband to know just how often I was eating it.
    I had to try really hard not to eat the entire box so that it would last more than one day.
    Anyway, I found that I was able to completely resist any candy temptation as long as I kept carbs really low. If I had more or if I had too much sweetened foods (low carb treats and such), that I would find myself craving sweets and generally feeling hungrier. I like being in control and the lower carbs give me that.
    Then, as I learned more and noticed more of the benefits, I decided Keto is my lifelong plan for the mental benefits of ketosis.
  • natalialikescookies
    Options
    I keep my carbs under 100, usually around 60-80. I cut out all starches/added sugars but don't limit my vegetables and can usually fit in some fruit too. That was important to me. I don't have any cravings and I'm losing weight. This is perfect for me.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Ditto -- around 100g for me, but often lower. Sometimes even close to zero.

For me, it's all about flexibility and lack of deprivation. I try to eat in a way that I feel I can sustain forever.
  • dietbepsi
    Options
    It just seems kind of hard to wrap my brain around, and I guess I just need to do further research. But it seems like you can't get into ketosis unless you're under 20 carbs a day, pretty much. And if you don't get into ketosis your body really isn't burning fat for fuel it's still burning carbs? So that to me sounds like low-carb wouldn't really work for weight loss and you need to be stricter like Keto. In theory. And obviously that isn't the case for people that are losing weight while on just a lower carb diet but not Keto. I don't know if I'm making sense. I'm glad to know I'm not an island here in thinking maybe I could go higher carb (40-50)and still lose weight.... At the very least start my husband there. Sunny Bunny...I hear ya. I love candy so much...and cake! Cake with lots and lots of butter cream frosting. Oh my word. It is nice to have those cravings gone for sure. But I would like to eat an apple with a piece of cheese sometimes. I love apples. I do miss them.
  • wabmester
    Options
    dietbepsi wrote: »
    It just seems kind of hard to wrap my brain around, and I guess I just need to do further research. But it seems like you can't get into ketosis unless you're under 20 carbs a day, pretty much. And if you don't get into ketosis your body really isn't burning fat for fuel it's still burning carbs?

Think about that for a second. If you eat 100g carbs, that's 400 calories. If you burn 2000 calories a day, where's the rest going to come from? Add 100g of protein, and you're at 800 calories. The rest of your burn comes from fat.

But any calorie restriction will let you lose weight, right? The difference with low-carb is lack of HUNGER. You don't want to fight your biology. Eat till satisfied. For some people, their appetite is still in the weight-gaining zone at 100g carbs. For others, that's the groove zone. Find your groove. :)
  • dietbepsi
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    dietbepsi wrote: »
    It just seems kind of hard to wrap my brain around, and I guess I just need to do further research. But it seems like you can't get into ketosis unless you're under 20 carbs a day, pretty much. And if you don't get into ketosis your body really isn't burning fat for fuel it's still burning carbs?

Think about that for a second. If you eat 100g carbs, that's 400 calories. If you burn 2000 calories a day, where's the rest going to come from? Add 100g of protein, and you're at 800 calories. The rest of your burn comes from fat.

But any calorie restriction will let you lose weight, right? The difference with low-carb is lack of HUNGER. You don't want to fight your biology. Eat till satisfied. For some people, their appetite is still in the weight-gaining zone at 100g carbs. For others, that's the groove zone. Find your groove. :)

Lol I see
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I wrote this post in the main forums last year. You might find it helpful since it addresses the different levels of carbs and weight loss. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10180583/to-carb-or-not-to-carb-for-weightloss/p1
  • wabmester
    Options
  • wabmester
    Options
    Sorry, couldn't resist. That just came across my twitter feed. :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    7cc3moz6kpfi.jpg

Are those "come hither eyes"?
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    For me, honestly, it was because I lost round 2 of my 6-month DietBet and was really struggling to lose weight on Dukan (which had worked for me before) or a more moderate LCHF (like 80-100gm carbs/day). B/c i was paying $25/mo for DietBet I didn't want to keep throwing money away and I figured keto would give me the best chance of losing weight at a reasonable pace. It worked, and I had some other unexpected benefits to boot. :)

I officially won the DietBet today and whenever I decide I'm ready to switch to maintenance, I do plan to experiment with gradually increasing calories and carbs until I find my sweet spot for maintenance.
  • wabmester
    Options
    Congrats, @macchiatto!

There are MANY good reasons to stick with a ketogenic diet. It does tweak your metabolism in several ways, and it should theoretically reduce some long-term damage usually associated with old age.

In terms of weight loss, there's not a lot of evidence you'll lose faster or more than moderate low carb, but there is an increased cost of making ketones, there is reduced hunger, and there is reduced insulin. All potentially good for weight loss.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    LOL I love the elephant seal! :) And thank you, @wabmester!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    I wrote this post in the main forums last year. You might find it helpful since it addresses the different levels of carbs and weight loss. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10180583/to-carb-or-not-to-carb-for-weightloss/p1

It looks like you lost twice the weight in the first 2 months of low carb that your chart shows compared to the first two months on the higher carb. Don't know if calories and exercise were a factor, but that's a cool reference to have. I've never logged or counted calories in the past. Just pretty much went with the "if I'm hungry, I'm doing it right" plan. Lol
  • auntstephie321
    Options

It looks like you lost twice the weight in the first 2 months of low carb that your chart shows compared to the first two months on the higher carb. Don't know if calories and exercise were a factor, but that's a cool reference to have. I've never logged or counted calories in the past. Just pretty much went with the "if I'm hungry, I'm doing it right" plan. Lol

It's possible since I did have big drops at first with low carb. I honestly thought when I looked at it that I would find that I lost more in the same amount if time in lc cuz that's how it felt and it was so easy. I was a little sad when the numbers looked the same. Calories were about the same both times, I think those charts were in there in the comments further down. One of the biggest differences and the reason I stay lc is that I don't feel like I'm starving all the time. I'm happy when I eat not miserable trying to choke down a bag of rice with veggies. Then feeling hungry 4 minutes later.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

It's possible since I did have big drops at first with low carb. I honestly thought when I looked at it that I would find that I lost more in the same amount if time in lc cuz that's how it felt and it was so easy. I was a little sad when the numbers looked the same. Calories were about the same both times, I think those charts were in there in the comments further down. One of the biggest differences and the reason I stay lc is that I don't feel like I'm starving all the time. I'm happy when I eat not miserable trying to choke down a bag of rice with veggies. Then feeling hungry 4 minutes later.

I thought the charts did show you lost more on lc in the same amount of time. Just the lc chart only really had the first two full months where the other one was like a whole year
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    7cc3moz6kpfi.jpg

Are those "come hither eyes"?

Bwahahahaha! :D I love you guys!

Wiping tears...

I started higher but dropped to ketogenic levels within a few weeks because I was feeling better. Less is more for me. I felt better when carbs are low so I mostly keep them there.

I am staying very LCHF for the health benefits. I have insulin resistance which hasn't improved with weight loss so I need to stay very low carb. every few months I seem to drift over 30g of carbs per day and my BG does't do well with that.

I really like the appetite and carb suppressing of this woe. I can easily eat 3000kcal in a day so less hunger is quite helpful to me. Plus I seem to not gain on this woe with moderately high calories, even on those weeks when I've had a cup of macadamia nuts... per day. :blush:

Other health benefits included better skin, better knees, improved autoimmune arthritis and better menatl clarity... That last one was quite disturbing to notice. I was only 41 when I started this woe and to discover how foggy and slow I was before going very LCHF was really disturbing. It was even scarier when my husband noticed the difference. When other people are noticing something like that? That was a huge clue to sit up and take notice if I want to keep my mind. Yikes.

I don't really miss carbs too much. I can happily skip fruit and most baked goods. I miss veggies and icecream a bit but they aren't worth risking high BG and dementia like symptoms for.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ I only look at the time frame from start to where the one ends in beginning of June, at that point that was all I had logged. The other site doesn't let me adjust like I wanted to to match exactly. From March to June in the first I lost about 17 lbs then in the second set about 16 lbs. Give or take. It's not perfect. I was surprised the old charts were even still on the other site.