New guy hoping to stick around

Options
2»

Replies

• callmetj86
    callmetj86 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the motivation guys! I can already tell this will be a fun group.

I don't think I'll be able to cut out my boneless skinless chicken breasts since just like you @SamandaIndia I have some great recipes that make for a tasteful meal. Coconut oil has been my best friend for the past few weeks so I'm glad to see you have luck with it as well.

Trying for 20g today! Wish me luck
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    callmetj86 wrote: »
    Thanks for the motivation guys! I can already tell this will be a fun group.

I don't think I'll be able to cut out my boneless skinless chicken breasts since just like you @SamandaIndia I have some great recipes that make for a tasteful meal. Coconut oil has been my best friend for the past few weeks so I'm glad to see you have luck with it as well.

Trying for 20g today! Wish me luck

I prefer boneless skinless chicken as I can get it much cheaper locally. I can get thighs for a good price but they hardly have any meat on them because most of the weight is the bone. So I get the breasts and top with cheese and bacon usually.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I use lean chicken a lot too. I just cook it in butter, coconut oil or make a cream sauce with cheese to add fat. And I eat whatever portion fits my protein needs.
  • hakamruth
    hakamruth Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Welcome. This is really a great group. I have learned a lot from the people in this group that will help keep the course.
  • Ellemarie72
    Ellemarie72 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Congrats callmetj86!
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    My words of wisdom: Get lots of sodium and read up on magnesium. Once you find a balance that works well for your body - the magic happens. The longer I eat the low carb, the happier my body is :)
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Be careful when putting salt in a glass of water, too much salt and you will cause yourself to immediately run to the bathroom. It's not fun.
  • callmetj86
    callmetj86 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yeah I took a teaspoon of mortons light salt today, and that gave me around 500mg of salt and I think I will take another tsp before my workout tonight. Thanks again for the advice.

Daily update: I took in only 1.5 carbs today and I feel great! No cravings at this point and I feel like I can stick to less than 10g/day. Is this overkill?

Also, have you guys ever heard of lyteshow? It's an electrolyte booster sold on Amazon and the reviews look awesome.

Let me know what you think

7p2k3rc95742.png
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    The amount of sodium and magnesium you get from it is negligible, and it would be very expensive to meet your needs using it. Plus, you'd probably get too much potassium if you actually used enough to get the sodium and magnesium you need.
    You'd get about 1000mg for pennies from a cup of broth from boullion. The 40mg of magnesium (don't know what form) is about 1/10 of the typical minimum.
    I think these kinds of products are more fitting a high carb diet where you don't need much sodium.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    callmetj86 wrote: »
    Yeah I took a teaspoon of mortons light salt today, and that gave me around 500mg of salt and I think I will take another tsp before my workout tonight. Thanks again for the advice.

Daily update: I took in only 1.5 carbs today and I feel great! No cravings at this point and I feel like I can stick to less than 10g/day. Is this overkill?

It is not overkill. I, personally, aim for 0g a day. But, it is also not necessary and it is probably not going to provide significantly better results than you'll be getting at 20-30 grams a day. While I love being a strict carnivore, I don't want you to over-commit or get frustrated with that level. Then again, one of my favorite bloggers recommends people start keto/low-carb with zero-carb (http://www.empiri.ca/p/eat-meat-not-too-little-mostly-fat.html). So, there's multiple opinions on it.

I feel best when my carbs are super-super-low. You may feel the same way. But, there's nothing wrong if you're comfortable at higher. Keep doing what feels right, for you. Just promise you won't worry about going back up to a higher level, if that starts to make more sense to you. The differences in the results will be tiny, and if you can stick with a higher carb limit, the long-term result will be much better than staying lower and giving up.