So glad to be back!!!

janhiness
janhiness Posts: 32 Member
So I started keto a year ago. I lasted two months and found out I was pregnant. I couldn't resist my carbs and craved cereal all the time. Well I had my baby girl in November and pretty much still ate like I was pregnant. I have been feeling like crap. Went in for a check up and freaking gained 15 pounds. I got the okay to nurse and do low carb just have to be mindful of my supply. Today is day 2 and I'm feeling horrible. I'm not hungry but I have the worst headache. Here's to hoping tomorrow is better.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    @janhiness I don't know how much you focused on electrolytes before, but they are super critical to avoid feeling terrible and having headaches. Up your water, increase your sodium dramatically (5000 MG MINIMUM while adapting), and add magnesium (not OXIDE - but most forms ending in -ate are pretty well tolerated).... If you still feel bad, add some potassium, too. Feeling terrible like that with headaches is indicative of electrolyte imbalance and 100% avoidable.
  • Emmie112
    Emmie112 Posts: 121 Member
    Welcome back and congrats on your baby girl.

It sounds like you're experiencing keto flu... Did you cut your carbs really low the first couple of days?

I started keto again this week too. I get really bad brain fog if I reduce my carbs too low, too fast and I need to be able to concentrate at work. My energy level and metal clarity are good when I keep my carbs high the first few days. I gradually lower it each day depending on how I feel. The weight loss is a little slow but it eventually happens.