Keto Flu

Options
crystalsan726
crystalsan726 Posts: 795 Member
Hello everyone! I am back. I haven't been on here in quite awhile(lot of changes around here) but I have still been doing low carb. So I need advice. I want to apologize if y'all have already covered this. I couldn't find the topic in the launch board or in recent topics.

That being said I have always heard and been warned about the Keto Flu, Low Carb flu and I am now experiencing it. I have been advised by some of my wonderful low carb friends to up my electrolytes, magnesium, and potassium and drink a lot of water. I have read where people recommend broth and even salting your water. Do you have any other easy ways that you would recommend to get these minerals back in my body? I am brand new to this keto flu. Also a friend of mine told me there was a recipe on here somewhere for Keto-Ade kind of like Gatorade but keto friendly can anyone steer me in that direction? Thanks so much for your help and your time. I appreciate you all. You have made an impact in changing my life and you were so kind to me before when I first started to learn about low carb.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @crystalsan726 This was the basic low carb Gatorade with better electrolytes than Gatorade.

LC gatorade (water, Mio (or other 0-carb water flavoring), 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp NuSalt).

NuSalt is a potassium salt-free substitute. Lite Salt by Morton is half of each, so you could use 1/2 tsp of that...

This is to volume of water at your preference to taste...

Best sodium hits (off the top of my head) are broth, pickles, pickle juice, jerky, salami/pepperoni, and salting food as much as possible...
  • crystalsan726
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss Awesome thank you so much!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    The main need is sodium. If you keep sodium up, you won't lose so much magnesium or potassium.
    Almost everyone is magnesium deficient no matter their diet, so I think it's a good idea to supplement a minimum of 400mg a day of a form that is well absorbed, like glycinate, citrate, malate... Something ending in "ate". It's generally a good idea to split it into a morning and evening dose. If that amount doesn't cause you any stomach upset, I'd actually increase it because you're body can use more if you provide more. It uses magnesium for over 300 enzymatic processes everyday and you can only get it from food or supplements. If you don't have enough, some processes will suffer. If you take too much, you just get the runs... So back down til there's no bowel issue.
    I'm a hard core magnesium advocate if you can't tell. :wink:
    Potassium isn't as much of a worry. I personally wouldn't add it to the water. I just sprinkle a little NuSalt on food when I cook. There's potassium in lots of things. Coffee, avocado... But I do like to add just a bit to food.
  • blacktie347
    blacktie347 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'd stick with broth - it's great, yummy, and easy to just pour hot water in a cup with a boullion cube at the bottom, and stir until mixed well. Goes great with hot tea with splenda for dessert.
  • crystalsan726
    Options
    Thank y'all for all the tips I really appreciate it.
  • cdebracy
    cdebracy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I use magnesium taurate as it doesn't have the digestive side effects of magnesium citrate and some others.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    cdebracy wrote: »
    I use magnesium taurate as it doesn't have the digestive side effects of magnesium citrate and some others.

@cdebracy That's a new one by me... Do you have a link to where you purchase yours? I'm about to end up moving in the next few months, so I'm switching up my sources to trying to go all online...
  • ShootingStar72
    ShootingStar72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I recently lowered my carbs even more (from around 50 to 15) as a result of cutting out all dairy, nuts and eggs, temporarily until I figure out what is causing digestive issues. I am now back to the keto-flu feelings of yuckiness. Drinking broth has helped to aleviate the headaches and fogginess I've felt the last few days.

I forgot about the gatorade! Must buy Mio.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    edited March 2016
    Options

I think that's a very good choice as well. I discovered taurate not too long ago and was reading about it also being a very highly absorbed form. I understand that glycinate is also easier on digestion. And what this really means is that more of its absorbed. There's less leftover going through digestion.
    Also, Threonate is a version I recently learned more about too. If I remember correctly, this version can cross the blood brain barrier. Products you find it in are usually labeled as brain health type products. Like Smart Mag
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

@cdebracy That's a new one by me... Do you have a link to where you purchase yours? I'm about to end up moving in the next few months, so I'm switching up my sources to trying to go all online...

I know I saw that Bulk Supplements has a powdered form.
  • cdebracy
    cdebracy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss and @Sunny_Bunny_ This is what I've been buying:

Cardiovascular Research - Magnesium Taurate, 125 mg, 180 capsules https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OP5N12/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_4e81wbW0WGSXP

If you find something similar, but cheaper, let me know.

I take 2-4 per day.
  • ClaireBearOz
    ClaireBearOz Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Dollop of salt in a glass of water or coconut water.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss and @Sunny_Bunny_ This is what I've been buying:

Cardiovascular Research - Magnesium Taurate, 125 mg, 180 capsules https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OP5N12/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_4e81wbW0WGSXP

If you find something similar, but cheaper, let me know.

I take 2-4 per day.

The cheapest way I've ever found so far is the glycinate powder. Bulk Supplements doesn't make a taurate powder. I was mistaken about that. They do also have a citrate (which is even cheaper), but I think glycinate absorbs better, so you can use less.
    For Taurate, the one you're taking seems about average price.

BulkSupplements Pure Magnesium Glycinate Powder (500 grams) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F7OZJQ4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_9Pb2wb6Q87AVJ